The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Knotted Silks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cataquet
View Profile
Veteran user
England
362 Posts

Profile of cataquet
Slydini wrote that you should use parachute (rip-stop) nylon for the knotted silks, because traditional magician's silks have a tendency to lock when tying some of the knots. However, I have not found this to be a problem. That is, I can do the routine with normal magician silks. However, I don't know if that's because of the silks that I have, or if any silks would work.

For those magicians out there that do knotted silks, what type of silks do you use?

Bye for now

Harold
Harold Cataquet
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5307 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I perform a version of Slydini’s Knotted Silks fairly regularly. Like you I have never had a silk “lock” on me. I have used several brands of silks to do the effect over the years. I have used Rice’s silks and Magic Hands silks, and generic magic shop silks (the el-cheapo kind). I also have a “proper” set of the Slydini silks (white rip stop material with the one colored hem thread). I have also used the polyester “silk” scarves sold at the chain stores. In fact that is what I am using right now. Yep, 36-inch scarves from Wall Mart!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
MAGICTOM
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, Tx
354 Posts

Profile of MAGICTOM
I saw knotted silks on a video somewhere on the web, I think it was performed at the magic castle, but Im not sure.. I am VERY interested in the routine, and would like to purchase it. can anyone give me a reference on where I can find it?
Thanks
Tom Smile
No Man is his craft's master the first day!
J.B. Bobo
Ian Richards
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of Ian Richards
Hi Tom,
Steve Draun has a video of his version of the Knotted Silks on his website. The performance is in the Close-Up room at the Magic Castle. You can purchase 'silks' made from rip stop nylon suitable for the routine from this site also. The best explanation for this routine that I have seen is in 'The Annotated Magic Of Slydini'. It is also in one of the Slydini two volume sets by Karl Fulves either 'The Magical World Of Slydini' or 'The Best Of Slydini And More'.
Donnie
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Donnie
Ok I learned a version of the knotted silks called grippos wish in one of the books in the paul harris astonishment series. I can "pop" the knots, my problem is how do u pull the silk out and make it look natural? IT always looks like I am pulling it.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5307 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I really don’t know the Harris routine that you are trying to learn. I cannot believe that Paul didn’t work the misdirection needed for the dirty work into the routine.

I perform the Slydini knots routine. All of the misdirection for the necessary “work” is built into the routine. It would be difficult to describe the moves out of context.

Right now (July 4, 2002), on eBay, John Mendoza (flinner) is selling a first edition of the Magic of Slydini. It is the first (of several) that the Slydini silk knot routine was published.

The site is: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie......18895545

Further, I believe that Joe Stevens carries many of the old Supreme, Louis Ganson titles, including this one. Hank Lee may also have a copy or two in stock.

Another source for the routine is in Karl Fulves “The Magical World of Slydini” which is still available through many magic shops.

Either of these books will give you more magic than you will use!

Sorry I couldn’t be of more help.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Tony Slydini taught me the trick in 1968 using regular silks.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
rumdrum
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
19 Posts

Profile of rumdrum
I use standard "magic" silks. I have had them lock together a few times over the years. But, it was human error, not the material giving me a problem. Good luck!
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
949 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
'The Annotated Magic Of Slydini' explanation of the splitting knot does not work as the knots do not come out the same length. There is a notation that says to see another book.

Does anybody know for certain what book the Correct description is in?

James Adamson
http://www.seam2006.com
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
James,

I don't recall that in any book. However, Slydini taught me how to do that about thiry-five years ago and I haven't done it since except for the Wizards of the Ozarks back in the 80s. We have a long ride to Virginia coming up in June. We'll work on it in the car. I'm sure it will come back to me as we work with it. (As I get older, it's the current stuff I can never remember!) Please help me get to the right booking. Old tricks I can remember!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Let me know what road you are on so I can avoid it if you are tying knots while driving!!

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22248 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2002-07-02 14:46, MAGICTOM wrote:
I saw knotted silks on a video somewhere on the web, I think it was performed at the magic castle, but Im not sure.. I am VERY interested in the routine, and would like to purchase it. can anyone give me a reference on where I can find it?
Thanks
Tom Smile

http://www.llpub.com has republished the book and also has a couple of DVD's on the subject by Tony Clark and others. They also sell the scarves for with the DVD.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2006-04-19 23:35, hugmagic wrote:
Let me know what road you are on so I can avoid it if you are tying knots while driving!!

Richard

Richard,

By now you know that I can't really drive anyway! It's a trick!

Fortunately or unfortunately, my voyage to Twin Cities will start in Louisianna in June. James and I will have plenty of time to split knots. (But do wear your hard hat.)

Bob
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11968 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2002-06-01 14:09, Harry Murphy wrote:
I perform a version of Slydini’s Knotted Silks fairly regularly. Like you I have never had a silk “lock” on me. I have used several brands of silks to do the effect over the years. I have used Rice’s silks and Magic Hands silks, and generic magic shop silks (the el-cheapo kind). I also have a “proper” set of the Slydini silks (white rip stop material with the one colored hem thread). I have also used the polyester “silk” scarves sold at the chain stores. In fact that is what I am using right now. Yep, 36-inch scarves from Wall Mart!

I will enliven this thread. I just started to work on the Slydini routines and while waiting for my silks to arrive, I too have mastered the basics using these huge 36 inch scarves from the thrift store. The knots are bigger and I assume it takes a little extra distraction but so far so good. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Knotted Silks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL