The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Paula Deen FIRED by Food Network! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Hi Y'all! Smile

Sad news for Paula Deen fans. They wanted her blood...they GOT it!

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-207_162-5759......renewed/

Racism in this day and age is stupid. We still have not climbed out of our ass-backward box of ignorance. It's almost like we took a step backwards. And I DON'T want to hear the excuse, "Oh, she's from The South..." or "I talk like that because I'm OLD...". No. Not EVEN...

However, I'm guilty. Yeah, I used to talk like that! Had NO problem N-wording and just being a **** about anything non-white. It was a phase. I got over it. Not before I lost a few friends. I learned the hard way. So did Paula. She had more to lose though.

Think America will ever forgive her? Food Network loses BIG time because of this...not just Paula. Thoughts?

Doug
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Her contract isn't being renewed that isn't the same as being fired.

"Food Network will not renew Paula Deen's contract when it expires at the end of this month,"

I've never watched her show, and I rarely watch TV these days. At least a few less people will be having strokes in the future...
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea she is not renewed.

So what?

I think that the idea that as a society we give words so much power it is pathetic. Why is it not enough that people know what an ignoramus she is? I bet if the network let the market sort it out enough viewership would drop off and she would be gone. In my opinion it would be a much stronger statement.

When did "sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me" stop being relevant? Isn't that what we teach kids?

Just so much hullabaloo.

Lastly who was shocked by this?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
The market has sorted it out. The sponsors don't need to wait to know that viewership has dropped, and the networks don't need to wait to know that selling spots is going to be a lot tougher.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Americans buy spots?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Lobo has it, I think. You can bet that business decision wasn't based on their ethics, but on income.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Paul Deen WAS NOT FIRED for any words she said. She was fired for those stupid "damage control" Youtube videos she made. How is it that people that are smart enough to make millions of dollars are never smart enough to handle social controversy? I think they get so caught up in trying to save/protect the brand, they lose all common sense.

Thousands of hogs that will be slaughtered to make Smithfield Ham are rejoicing;-)

Tony Bourdain might be smiling also....
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
When she was asked any questions why couldn't she be like those people in government and take the 5th. I cannot answer that as I may incriminate myself. Of course if she did she would be judged guilty. But...well you get the picture. And her contract would not be renewed. Or better yet take a play from the IRS guys, I can't remember. I wonder if everyone would just let her off the hook. I think we know the answer to that.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
There may have been other reasons as well (just my opinion).

I saw Paula Deen on The Rachel Ray Show with her Son who was trying to get through a cooking segment to promote his book before this hit.

Paula was acting like an idiot. I thought she might be drunk or that she might have a serious mental problem.

She was all over the place upstaging her son, talking at inappropriate times, wandering around the set. This was taped in February.

It was really embarrassing to watch. Maybe this is how she always acts (I don't get the Food Network) but it was strange enough that I mentioned it to Tom and I don't usually bring up T.V. inanity (it being so prevalent and all). Maybe she has a problem.

I had listed a clip but when I watched it they had cut out the aberrant behavior.

-Mary Mowder
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Like I said spoon fed.

Sis boom ba. Keep cheering.

Wasn't it you complaining about this stuff not a week ago?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
She gave an odd interview on race in 2012:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMcmt7ulQQo
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I never heard of Ms Deen before this but I did finally see a Martha Stewart TV show the other day.

How on Earth did that boring person make so much money out of television?

She doesn't exactly give them 'that old razzle dazzle'.

She looked in imminent danger of falling asleep while she was cooking, and made constant references to the 'help'.

Questioned why certain glasses had been provided for some cocktail she made up because she usually drank it from a different glass.

She may not have said it but you could clearly hear her thinking 'It's so hard to get good help these days'.

I was astonished at what bad TV it was.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Destiny
They put Martha Stewart in jail for being extremely boring.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
From the show I saw, it should have been SuperMax.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
Now a days Advertisers and the customers who buy their products speak.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Yep. Poor lady's definitely tweaked and akimbo. But, that is why she is popular. Food Network has used this since the beginning. Gordon knew he had a pistol with Door Knock Dinners. A producer for Paula's Party said they let her get too much out of control with the live audience. They were trying to do Emeril "Live!" again. Sadly, she's a bit over the top for that.

Now Food Network has to find another nut. Somebody SO different from anyone they have had before. Hey, look at Guy Fieri! Ha! They're out there...ya just gotta look...

Doug
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I used to enjoy the food channel before it became the food competition channel.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I've always preferred the food shows on the Travel Channel. Especially Bourdain and Zimmern.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
AngeloAces
View Profile
New user
Brooklyn New York
54 Posts

Profile of AngeloAces
Quote:
On 2013-06-23 11:23, motown wrote:
Now a days Advertisers and the customers who buy their products speak.

In a perfect free market society this would be true. How ever in America today, pressure from special interest groups and/or appeasement of said groups determine the decisions made by networks.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
AngeloAces
What you call "special interest groups" the rest of us call the "overwhelming public opinion".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Paula Deen FIRED by Food Network! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL