The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Paula Deen FIRED by Food Network! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1189 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2013-06-28 00:20, critter wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-06-27 21:32, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-06-27 12:07, critter wrote:
In one of my classes we had an older African-American (how he chose to self-identify) guy from the south who is now a successful attorney here tell us his life story and the cultural history of the N-word. I honestly hadn't thought that much about the word myself before that. I figured it was just the same as cracker or something to that effect. But as he told his story half of the room was in tears. They were still doing lynchings when he was a kid and his mother drove by and he saw those bodies in the trees and heard that word used in connection with that. There were obstacles he had to overcome to get where he's at because racism is still alive and well, just much more insidious. It's not the word that hurts, it's all of the memories of degradation that the word is tied to. The very fact that the word means nothing to so many people is what was so offensive to him. And, yes, he was equally as saddened by the thug culture kids of his own race using it.

You don't know how it feels. You can sit there and say "it's just another word" but you're doing it from a place of ignorance because you don't have to live with everything tied to it. I don't know either. I just caught a glimpse through his eyes, but I got to leave that room in my white skin.

I'd like to hear more about the current obstacles.

The best way would be to hear it directly from people of color. You could watch a film called "The Color of Fear" to get a taste. It's also something that easily researched on the internet. Peer reviewed articles can be found on scholar.google.com

Here's a blog if that's more your style: http://racismtoday.blogspot.com/

I can tell another story from a guest lecturer in a different class (also a lawyer) about my age who was harrassed every day and eventually lost her job over the color of her skin and the texture of her hair. Who lost her lawsuit because of an undisclosed prior relationship between her boss and the judge, and who left the state rather than deal with the same death threats on appeal that she had from the other employees during the initial case. But these are stories from a few individuals and <sarcasm> everyone knows that these stories are made up by these guest speakers to support the liberal bias that literally everyone in higher education obviously has. </endsarcasm>

Just because it's not as visibly bad as in the Jim Crow days doesn't mean it's not still bad.

Don't take my word for it. Research it. Talk to people. Try to really understand what it's like for people who aren't you. Stop projecting. Or don't do any of that if it's more comfortable. Whatever boats your float.

I've said what I have to say and those reading can either delve deeper into it or not. I'm not trying to convince anybody, just point out that some people might just have a different worldview than us and not feel a word the same way we feel it.

I've talked to people. Their experience doesn't match the experiences of the people you've talked to.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Watch your comments, or I may have to invoke a Bird 19 on this thread.
lane99
View Profile
Elite user
420 Posts

Profile of lane99
Quote:
On 2013-06-27 23:07, Zombie Magic wrote:
Here's Paula just last year belittling an employee about his color:

http://youtu.be/TMcmt7ulQQo?t=1m40s

Of course the employee puts up with it because he needs to feed his family. That's lost on Ms. Dean.

"Hey, I'm not so bad. I've even got a friend that's as black as that thar board over there". Woah!
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2549 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2013-06-28 00:36, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-06-28 00:20, critter wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-06-27 21:32, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-06-27 12:07, critter wrote:
In one of my classes we had an older African-American (how he chose to self-identify) guy from the south who is now a successful attorney here tell us his life story and the cultural history of the N-word. I honestly hadn't thought that much about the word myself before that. I figured it was just the same as cracker or something to that effect. But as he told his story half of the room was in tears. They were still doing lynchings when he was a kid and his mother drove by and he saw those bodies in the trees and heard that word used in connection with that. There were obstacles he had to overcome to get where he's at because racism is still alive and well, just much more insidious. It's not the word that hurts, it's all of the memories of degradation that the word is tied to. The very fact that the word means nothing to so many people is what was so offensive to him. And, yes, he was equally as saddened by the thug culture kids of his own race using it.

You don't know how it feels. You can sit there and say "it's just another word" but you're doing it from a place of ignorance because you don't have to live with everything tied to it. I don't know either. I just caught a glimpse through his eyes, but I got to leave that room in my white skin.

The best way would be to hear it directly from people of color. You could watch a film called "The Color of Fear" to get a taste. It's also something that easily researched on the internet. Peer reviewed articles can be found on scholar.google.com

Here's a blog if that's more your style: http://racismtoday.blogspot.com/

I can tell another story from a guest lecturer in a different class (also a lawyer) about my age who was harrassed every day and eventually lost her job over the color of her skin and the texture of her hair. Who lost her lawsuit because of an undisclosed prior relationship between her boss and the judge, and who left the state rather than deal with the same death threats on appeal that she had from the other employees during the initial case. But these are stories from a few individuals and <sarcasm> everyone knows that these stories are made up by these guest speakers to support the liberal bias that literally everyone in higher education obviously has. </endsarcasm>

Just because it's not as visibly bad as in the Jim Crow days doesn't mean it's not still bad.

Don't take my word for it. Research it. Talk to people. Try to really understand what it's like for people who aren't you. Stop projecting. Or don't do any of that if it's more comfortable. Whatever boats your float.

I've said what I have to say and those reading can either delve deeper into it or not. I'm not trying to convince anybody, just point out that some people might just have a different worldview than us and not feel a word the same way we feel it.

I've talked to people. Their experience doesn't match the experiences of the people you've talked to.

Okey dokey. I say racism is still a problem, that the N-word hurts people, and that it's wrong to hurt people. I guess we'll just agree to disagree.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1189 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
That's quite a dichotomy you've got there.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4755 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:

Does the experience have to be experienced by 100% before it's valid to say that racism exists?

Quote:

What makes you think that the prior treatment of one's ancestors--the major factor determining one's social and economic class--is not a current obstacle?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1189 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2013-06-28 12:01, landmark wrote:
Quote:

Does the experience have to be experienced by 100% before it's valid to say that racism exists?

Quote:

What makes you think that the prior treatment of one's ancestors--the major factor determining one's social and economic class--is not a current obstacle?

1) I've never taken the position that racism doesn't exist.

2) If we're talking about race as a proxy for socioeconomic status, that should be clarified.

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4755 Posts

Profile of landmark
No, race is not a complete proxy for socioeconomic status--though there is much overlap. Racism also causes its own unique social, psychological, and economic problems as well. And the specific racism we're talking about--the enslavement and then subsequent terrorizing and disenfranchisement of African Americans, brings forth yet even more issues--issues that resonate in this current time.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1189 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
My interest in exploring the specifics of those issues and obstacles that some people claim they contend with "every day" is not a blanket denial that racism exists. Nor is my observation that it's not a universal perception.

rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2013-06-28 12:42, LobowolfXXX wrote:
My interest in exploring the specifics of those issues and obstacles that some people claim they contend with "every day" is not a blanket denial that racism exists. Nor is my observation that it's not a universal perception.

Which I would think would be obvious to most people and unnecessary to explain. Apparently not.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4755 Posts

Profile of landmark
I would also think it not necessary to point out that the causes of current issues and obstacles lie with a deep knowledge of the past, but evidently I must. Who wudda thunk it? Putting a box around issues, trying to decontextualize them, may be favorable to your viewpoint, but in other venues we call that "wearing blinders."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1189 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2013-06-28 13:44, landmark wrote:
I would also think it not necessary to point out that the causes of current issues and obstacles lie with a deep knowledge of the past, but evidently I must. Who wudda thunk it? Putting a box around issues, trying to decontextualize them, may be favorable to your viewpoint, but in other venues we call that "wearing blinders."

I'm not trying to decontextualize them; I'm trying to explore what the "them" are.

balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
IMHO
Paula's 15 minutes of fame has simply expired. It happens all the time. The person who my heart goes out to is skinny little Paris Hilton who vanished from public view with far less drama. I say the girl deserves a second look. Let's see if Paris can say some inappropriate words to add a little spice to her sauce. LOL
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2549 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2013-06-28 11:54, LobowolfXXX wrote:
That's quite a dichotomy you've got there.

You asked me a question, I answered it in good faith, you blew off my answer. It seems you're more interested in winning than conversing. Since I have no internal need to win you may have your victory- with no resistence.
Have a nice day, friend.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6718 Posts

Profile of Dougini
OK, we have established that racism is alive and well today. This is why it is NOT a good idea to have an extraterrestrial arrive and be introduced. Now this is not to determine IF they exist. Let's assume they do. Can you imagine...it would be the same .damn thing!

Say, for example, we found out there was a reptilian species, and they were revealed. We'd have people calling them "lizards" and "snake-heads". We'd be at war with them in no time. What about a species SO different as not to be recognized as humanoid? Same thing. We'd have labels. Ignorance and fear would abound.

Is it any wonder the Gov't won't let us in on what is at Groom Lake or S-4? Sandia Labs and Dulce? What's going on at Dulce...is an outrage, but I'm just using that as an example.

My friends, we have an almost INFINITE diversity of life in our universe. We cannot even get along with the five races we HAVE! How could we EVER welcome just the few from our OWN GALAXY that may be here now? Myself, I LOVE the diveristy...we could have blue, orange and PURPLE-skinned people and I would be FINE with it!

I guess it's because I grew up in an ethnic neighborhood. I love Mexicans, blacks, Native Americans, Asians...why not? In fact, if I had ever gotten married, it would have been to an Asian (Japanese) girl. I'd still love to meet a Vietnamese or Thai girl...

I'd have NO problem loving a girl that is black. My family might have a problem with it, but I don't care. I don't live my life to please them. To each his/her own. My Turkish girlfriend was as dark as any black person. She was WONDERFUL! Her name was Birsin.

It's sad we even are talking about this. I've said this before. One day I will remind everyone. When the REAL ET's reveal themselves, it won't matter what color your skin is. Or what country you come from or your lifestyle. We will ALL be just HUMAN then. Regardless of what you have heard, this planet is unique.

We are a special breed. Our genetics have been altered and tweaked for thousands of years! And, think about this seriously. No jokes. Have you ever wondered WHY we have FIVE distinct races of human? The answer might shock you...

Doug
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4755 Posts

Profile of landmark
Because it's the same number as the possible flavors of ice cream?
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2013-06-28 15:42, Dougini wrote:
I'd have NO problem loving a girl that is black. My family might have a problem with it, but I don't care.

We figured that one out in the 1950's: first you bring home a boy. After that, they wouldn't care what color your girl friend was.

:sun:
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19822 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Doug.... wow. What is "almost infinite"? The concept alone eludes me LOL. Infinite is an absolute state by definition.

That aside I am glad you brought this up. It is much more fun to talk about science fiction than what this idiotic thread has devolved into.

Please stop watching "Anchient Aliens". ALL of those guys have been THOUROUGHLY discredited. With actual science.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
383 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
Paula Deen will be back. Just wait a while. America loves a good redemption story. We love seeing someone come from nowhere, climb to great heights and achieve fame and fortune, and then fall all the way down, beg for forgiveness, and then re-emerge stronger than ever. She'll be back. Some other network or channel will offer her a deal. Granted, she'll be making a lot less money than before, but she'll still be clearing more than six figures, I'd imagine.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Paula Deen FIRED by Food Network! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL