The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » Best of Both Worlds! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dr. JK
View Profile
Special user
Greenville, South Carolina
898 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
Perhaps this will not be news to many of you, but I recently discovered that my ipad makes an excellent rehearsal buddy. Basically, it acts as a mirror and recording device all at the same time! So that way, you can see yourself while you're performing, and can critique it afterwards by watching the video. And of course, it's easy to delete clips that are no longer needed.

As for the setup, I prop mine up between heavy books, slightly leaning toward me after I've opened the camera app and switched it to video mode (this is landscape mode, btw). If anyone has a more elegant solution to this "leaning toward you" angle, I'd love to hear it. I'm sure I'm not the first person to use this for rehearsal, but I'd love to have a thread dedicated to ideas for using technology (like an ipad) for practice/rehearsal.
- Jeff
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4683 Posts

Profile of landmark
I recently got myself a webcam and I've got to say it's the single best thing I've done for my magic this year. It's very adjustable and can be put on a tripod. The nice thing is that the camera, unlike the built-in one on my computer, can record HD. It makes a difference. When I look at my retention pass using video with my built-in camera it looks pretty good. Under HD, with many more frames per second, the ugly truth prevails Smile

But as Dr. JK says, one of the nice things in using this kind of set-up is that while you're recording you also can watch yourself on the computer as if it were a mirror, so you get the best of both worlds.

I've also found it nice to record so that I can write scripts. My memory is notoriously bad, and when something works well, now I have a record of it and can get it down on paper.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5820 Posts

Profile of motown
That's a great use for an ipad. Now if I only had one. Smile
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » Best of Both Worlds! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL