The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What can beat a Goody "Bag"? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
stuartmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Derby England (UK)
238 Posts

Profile of stuartmagic
Quote:
On 2013-06-24 07:47, Al Angello wrote:
Mike
There's nothing wrong with picking up a couple extra bucks, I am just opposed to working hard for small change. If you are cool with that go for it amigo.

It really is not hard providing goodie bags and I certainly would recommend you do them. It isn't too much trouble and the rewards are far greater than a couple of bucks ( approx. 1p in the UK ).

Done the correct way you are not "just providing" a goodie bag, you are publicising yourself to every childs' parent and puting your contact details in front of them instead of them googleing on the internet for someone else when it comes to their son or daughter's party.

I always offer goodie bags and with mine I make nothing on them, that's right - they are done at cost price. The reason is that it is a good selling point and the repeat business I get back from the parents taking away my party bags far outweighs the time it takes to put them together. I have my details included and it works.

Think of it like this, if a potential booker has a choice between many magicians / entertainers that they will be bombarded with on a search engine, if you can offer something that sets you apart from anyone else then who do you think they are going to go for. It's down to value for money. Nearly every show I do I get asked to provide goodie bags.

Stuart.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2013-06-24 08:46, stuartmagic wrote:
Done the correct way you are not "just providing" a goodie bag, you are publicising yourself to every childs' parent and puting your contact details in front of them instead of them googleing on the internet for someone else when it comes to their son or daughter's party.

I always offer goodie bags and with mine I make nothing on them, that's right - they are done at cost price. The reason is that it is a good selling point and the repeat business I get back from the parents taking away my party bags far outweighs the time it takes to put them together. I have my details included and it works.

Think of it like this, if a potential booker has a choice between many magicians / entertainers that they will be bombarded with on a search engine, if you can offer something that sets you apart from anyone else then who do you think they are going to go for. It's down to value for money. Nearly every show I do I get asked to provide goodie bags.

Al, don't get me wrong. I have not been focusing on the goody bags because I want to make a few extra dollars. It is because of what Stuart is describing. I am looking forward in doing more shows. Somewhere in this forum I mentioned I am receiving less shows because there is a new clown in my area that entertains for two hours for only $100. She gives out a gift, does magic tricks, face painting and balloons. My shows are lower now from last year because of her. I must try and outweigh her if I want to stay in business.
Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
I also provide loot bags. I make just over $1 per bag. I can make around 100 of them in a hour. So that equals $100 per hour so not too bad for doing something when watching tv. Some parents want to take care of the bags them selves. That is why I say "of course there is the option of having this package without the bags for a reduced rate". That way they can have everything in the higher package but don't have to do the bags if they don't want them. Sometimes parents will buy my bags and still make there own. I often hear "wow your bag is better than mine". Another thing I hear all the time is "we will go with your loot bags as it will save me time". Your hired to make little Johnny's birthday better, not just for Johnny but for mom too and if something saves her time it is worth it.

I don't think Al will be a convert but it would be very easy to mention the items you sell back of room and that you could bring enough for all the children if the parent wishes.
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
676 Posts

Profile of JoshLondonMagic
Dynamike, be cautious about offering 4 different packages. I read in different marketing books and in my own experience that it is best to provide only 2 options. There are studies and what the researchers found is that when people are offered more than 2 choices they tend to get anxious and hesitate choosing anything.

Just something to keep in mind.

Josh
Josh
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Stuart & Mike
If I lived in Detroit, or England I would consider supplying goody bags, but I live in Philadelphia, and I don't have to jump through all those hoops to get a pay check.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
676 Posts

Profile of JoshLondonMagic
Thanks for leaving the extra money on the table for those who do want it Al. It's really not something that should be overlooked nor scoffed at so easily.
Josh
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Another idea will be a plastic treasure chest. But I do not like the cost it would take to purchase so many of them that are big enough to hold the props. I picture the child keeping the props in the treasure on a regular basis.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
On the other hand, Mike, buy one plastic treasure chest for the birthday child and fill it with large magic gifts. Present it to the child before the other kids showing each item - especially if they're items you use in your show. Mention that's it's your birthday child gift pack and you'll have kid in the place asking forva Dynamike party.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Sounds interesting Roger. You are right as always.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Stupid iPad ... That should read " have every kid in the place..." Mike.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I have been putting some research on most of what we have been discussing in this thread. I have been thinking back and forth narrowing it down to the following:

1. What is the need to be serious with the carrying item? No matter what it is, it might get thrown away anyway. The tricks are what the kids are going to keep. Have contact info on the tricks and instructions only, not worry about the carrying item.

2. Use a girl and boy design license bag on the following page: http://www.papermart.com/Product%20Pages......39#46439 It is less likely the bags will be thrown away because of the design. Have your contact info on the bag since the child will enjoy saving the bag. (I believe the client will like this package the best)

3. Give a bag from the previous link to the birthday child only (with contact info). Give the other children a less expensive solid color bag (include contact info on the bag, tricks and instructions). (I think this package will help the birthday person feel more like the star. I bet it will help make a squeeze into receiving more business because of what Roger describes).

4. Have a colorful bag made with your graphic design imprinted. Have magic designs printed too on the bag. If designed right, the kid might keep it. It might be a little pricey. Don't know which company prints them out.
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
923 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
I wanted to add something I have been thinking about. Everyone is thinking about printing contact information on stuff that the kids keep. Problem is kids don't hire us. We need to get the contact information into the hands of the adults on something they will keep.

My thought is that instead of printing your contact information onto the magic trick instructions don't include any instructions at all. Put a card in the bag that says the instructions are available on your website @ http://yourwebsite.com/Magic-Trick-Instructions. Then require that someone 18 or older sign up with a valid email address to access the instructions. When they sign up they get added to your mailing list. Now the parent who signed up for the instructions will get your news letter, email offers, etc. It will save you money on print costs as well.

To make sure it feels like you are giving the instructions this way to benefit them and not you, explain on the card that paper instructions often get lost and this ensures that can't happen.

How does that sound?
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Sounds good in theory, Shaun, but the problem is people are put off by jumping through hoops. When I get to a site that expects me to sign up, I move along. I get too much crap in my email inbox as is, and when I register for a site I come to expect more.

So what DOES beat a goody bag? A personally authored book, signed by the the author (YOU!)

I used to use goody bags. It took time to buy supplies, manage inventory, put them together, carry them to the show, etc. (along with all the other negatives stated herein). And Al was right; it sometimes comes down to time vs $$, and time wins.

Now I keep a supply of personally written and illustrated magic books. They are easy to carry, I can always have a bunch on hand in my car or case, and there is NO time at all taken to put them together. And it DOESN'T GET THROWN AWAY! They KEEP your contact info.

As an added bonus, I can sell them at other events, like Cub Scout shows, fairs, and festivals. It's a winner!

Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Beat it all, by making sure ALL the members of EVERY audience remember you by NAME.

Marketing starts with your stage name, and the name of your act.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
But Doug, I think they were talking about some upsells and making a few extra dollars (or pounds or pence or whatever you chaps call it) at birthdays, as opposed to strict marketing. As I read this thread, getting your name on the stuff is only ONE aspect of the discussion.

Get a book. You'll be glad you did.

RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5388 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On 2014-01-21 15:06, Potty the Pirate wrote:
Beat it all, by making sure ALL the members of EVERY audience remember you by NAME.

Marketing starts with your stage name, and the name of your act.

True.

I have never gave out goody bags since I have began performing. I have never been asked if I supply goody bags. I think if you perform a solid/fun show then a goody bag is not going to make a difference. Though, I do see advantages of handing them out. Especially if you have your name included somewhere in there. Though, I feel in the end- you will be remembered from the impression you made on the audience during your show not the goody bag you handed out.

RNK
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I think you guys are missing the point of this thread (either that, or I am). It's not to "seal the deal". It's not intended to be a primary marketing tool. It's not to provide you with your primary source of income, buy you a summer home, or provide you with a comfortable retirement. If that is all you are getting from this thread, then I agree with you: it is not effective to rely on a goody bag to make a living.

But I don't think that's the point.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2014-01-21 14:26, Magician Shaun wrote:
I wanted to add something I have been thinking about. Everyone is thinking about printing contact information on stuff that the kids keep. Problem is kids don't hire us. We need to get the contact information into the hands of the adults on something they will keep.

My thought is that instead of printing your contact information onto the magic trick instructions don't include any instructions at all. Put a card in the bag that says the instructions are available on your website @ http://yourwebsite.com/Magic-Trick-Instructions. Then require that someone 18 or older sign up with a valid email address to access the instructions. When they sign up they get added to your mailing list. Now the parent who signed up for the instructions will get your news letter, email offers, etc. It will save you money on print costs as well.

To make sure it feels like you are giving the instructions this way to benefit them and not you, explain on the card that paper instructions often get lost and this ensures that can't happen.

How does that sound?

Excellent idea Shaun. I am surprised no one thought of that idea after all this time. I did purchase a kit dealing with how to making the magic trick book yourself. You are right, your idea will save a lot of money. The parents will have the option of printing the illustrated instructions themselves. Just put a code on a certain page of a website to get in. It can be optional if they would like to register becoming part of the magic club.

The biggest disadvantage I see is if the code spreads out at the party, encouraging parents to spend no money, just ask their relative what the code is.

The coloring book is a good idea too Mark. It will include puzzles in the book too.
thomhaha
View Profile
Regular user
northfield IL
162 Posts

Profile of thomhaha
Mike, I appreciate the way you framed the question. Without reducing the fun of the goodies, how can the goodies in the bag remind the kids - and more importantly their parents - about your show?

I come from the generation that expected toys in my cereal box. All fo those toys were related to the character advertising the cereal. It's called branding - and I certainly wanted to collect the whole set of those plastic toys.

Years ago among performers it was the coloring sheet - a black and white caricature of the performer with the perofrmer's contact info. Circuses still sell generic coloring books with their cover. Those wantignto give out toys emphsized how easy is to "print your own labels at home" and sticking them to any give-away. Balloon twisters gave out a 1/3 sheet on how to twist a dog (so when the one they gave out came apart someone might figure out how to restore it). If a magician is forcing a card, then why not give the card away as a souvenier, and have contact info on that card.

These days, you can get your name / logo / contact info embellished on just about anything. I'm fortunate to know a local printer. We've put logos, themes. contatc info on canvas bags, beach balls, frizbees, Christmas ornaments; he also works with us making banners for special events. In return, we carry his business cards with us.

So I think this comes to two questions. 1: what goodies best represent you and your show? 2: what items can you get your name (and any other info) onto? Those may be chicken and egg questions.

The balance is selling a service to the party planner (it's one thing off their to-do list). making it soemthing the kids who get it enjoy it, and maximizing it as a promotion to potential future shows. Commendable as a business endeavor.
thekidsmagician
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol
118 Posts

Profile of thekidsmagician
I would suggest the first thing to decide is what problem you are actually solving for the person booking you by providing goody bags or something similar.

Rather than looking at it primarily as a way of making extra money, first think about what value you can add to the booker. Then think about what you can include in goody bags to make that added value appeal to the person booking you, and not as an obvious ploy "just" to make more money (not suggesting that's what anyone does).

Instead of a goody bag, I offer a "Learn Magic" DVD - 45-minutes of magic tuition for children teaching simple but fun magic tricks. I'm on the DVD teaching the tricks and my contact details are on the DVD cover. (It's not one of those impersonal, generic, "hands-only-in-view" DVD's - it has me on it because I want the people watching it to relate to me and get to know me.)

The main advantage with the DVD is it gets the kids (and parents who also watch it with the child) getting to know me and (hopefully!) liking me because of how much fun the DVD is to watch. I get a LOT of e-mails from parents telling me how many times their kid has watched the DVD and how much fun they've had making and practising some of the tricks.

A DVD has a huge added value (both perceived and actual) compared to a regular goody bag and it helps kids and (more importantly) parents get to know you. And it's really not too hard to put a DVD together and duplicate it.

Just my thoughts. Smile

- Mike
Children's entertainer in Bristol - making children look AMAZING! - www.thekidsmagician.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What can beat a Goody "Bag"? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL