The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What can beat a Goody "Bag"? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2014-01-22 02:49, thekidsmagician wrote:
Instead of a goody bag, I offer a "Learn Magic" DVD - 45-minutes of magic tuition for children teaching simple but fun magic tricks. I'm on the DVD teaching the tricks and my contact details are on the DVD cover. (It's not one of those impersonal, generic, "hands-only-in-view" DVD's - it has me on it because I want the people watching it to relate to me and get to know me.)

Another great idea is listed.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I love that idea. I used to have a magic VHS tape out. It sold pretty well, and I had it in the display case at the restaurant where I worked. But I can't simply transfer it to DVD becasue I am obviously 15 years older (I have hair, for God's sake!) and the quality difference that exists on VHS.

As for those "hands" DVD, couldn't clever editing (intro and extro, maybe a few visual drop-ins) and a voiceover dub make that seem personal?
thekidsmagician
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol
118 Posts

Profile of thekidsmagician
Quote:
As for those "hands" DVD, couldn't clever editing (intro and extro, maybe a few visual drop-ins) and a voiceover dub make that seem personal?

Hi Starrpower, yes you could absolutely do that.

I decided to make one with me on (face, hands etc.) as I want people to buy into "me" rather than buying into a generic magician. Visual drop-ins, voiceovers could work as well (I would imagine not as strongly, but that's based on my own assumptions rather than hard facts and data!)

The other advantage is that a personal DVD is truly unique. I used to have the birthday child's name on the DVD menu as well, but stopped doing that due to increased volume of shows. In my area (South West UK) I know of a few other magicians who use one of the generic "hands-only" DVD's. I didn't want to be seen as offering the same thing as them. And if any of them get hold of my DVD, they can't replicate it easily - they'd have to film it and edit their own one from scratch.

It's personal preference, but there was very specific reasons I did it my way...honest! Smile

- Mike
Children's entertainer in Bristol - making children look AMAZING! - www.thekidsmagician.com
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2014-01-22 11:48, Neznarf wrote:
http://www.prestomagicproducts.com/

Yep, I already purchased his products last year. He is very helpful too. But instead of printing out so many booklets with the instructions, include a DVD instead. Plus include a code on the DVD so the individual can learn some bonus tricks from your website.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Quote:
On 2014-01-22 10:59, thekidsmagician wrote:It's personal preference, but there was very specific reasons I did it my way...honest! Smile

I think it's a great approach! It's the same reasoning I used for authoring my own magic book.

Also, look at my pictures above, and compare that to the pictures in the "Presto" book. Which looks more engaging, interesting, and "kid friendly"? After all, I have the intelligence and social skills of an 8 year old, and I know what I'd prefer!
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7443 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I have a question for those who want to embed a youtube video on their website (teaching tricks). Can you make it so that the video is hidden on youtube (from the general public), but shows up on your site only for people to watch?

The reason I ask, is I recall the controversy about another magician who had teaching videos (him teaching basic magic tricks) on youtube, but their main use was for his member-only website (kids fan club / magic club), and he was accused of exposing tricks because people could watch the videos directly on youtube.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Donald, there are two ways you can make the video private on YouTube. One way is no one will see it publicly unless they know the exact url. It will not show up to anyone when viewing the videos you uploaded unless you tell them the exact url. The other way is you must add a person's email address to watch the video. They might know the url, but it still will not play unless their email is added by you so they get permission to watch it.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7443 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Can you still embed a youtube video (on a webpage) when you've set it as private on youtube itself?

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I am not positive about that. I know there is software that is made well to embed videos. RealPlayer is one of them.
thekidsmagician
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol
118 Posts

Quote:
On 2014-01-22 13:02, Donald Dunphy wrote:
I have a question for those who want to embed a youtube video on their website (teaching tricks). Can you make it so that the video is hidden on youtube (from the general public), but shows up on your site only for people to watch?
- Donald

Hi Donald, I don't think you can. You can set a YouTube video as 'Private' or 'Not Linked' (which won't show up on a YouTube search) but as soon as you embed it on a website anyone can then click on that and get taken to the YouTube website to watch it.

If you want to add video to your website and not have it available to view anywhere else, YouTube isn't really the best option - Vimeo or Wistia are better for that, although you have to pay for the service.

- Mike
Children's entertainer in Bristol - making children look AMAZING! - www.thekidsmagician.com
thekidsmagician
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol
118 Posts

Quote:
On 2014-01-22 13:21, Donald Dunphy wrote:
Can you still embed a youtube video (on a webpage) when you've set it as private on youtube itself?

- Donald

No (I just tried it and it tells you to change the setting to Unlisted).

- Mike
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Is it really that big of a deal? I mean, how is showing tricks to kids on your site much different from having it publicly viewable at the Youtube site? I am not being contentious here, that is a legitimate question.

It seems that someone is no more or less "qualified" to view a magic lesson on Youtube than they are on a magician's personal website. Yeah, they might be marginally more likely to stumble across it at Youtube. So the magician acts as a gatekeeper; is he really qualifying anyone? Other than the fact they they have seen him, or heard about him, so they went to his website, they are no more or less entitled to see a "secret" than the guy who sees it on Youtube.

Additionally, who are these "holier than thou" magicians who point the accusatory finger? Let 'em be annoyed. In the big picture, who really cares if a handful of magic police accuse a guy of exposing magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What can beat a Goody "Bag"? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL