The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Size Matters (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cataquet
View Profile
Veteran user
England
363 Posts

Profile of cataquet
I have found that when I vanish a silk, the size matters. That is, the reaction of the audience is a function of the size of the silk. Vanish a 9"; not bad. Vanish a 12"; better. But, vanish a 18"; wow!

So, does size matters in silks?

Bye for now

Harold
Harold Cataquet
Joe
View Profile
Regular user
Sunny UK
139 Posts

Profile of Joe
Hi Harold
I use 24" silks in two routines I do, I think they look better and last/wear longer.
Joe Smile
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Absolutely!

That is one of the reasons for the recent popularity of Diamond Cut silks! The Look big, but I you can put a 18" DC silk into a TT.

Conceptually, that is why Copperfield vanishes things like the Statue of Liberty, the bigger the item, the greater the impact.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I totally agree that in terms of silk magic, both productions and vanishes, that bigger is better. I think that a full 18-inch silk is the minimum that should be used. I use 24- and 36-inch scarves in performance.

I honestly don’t like using the diamond cut silks. In fact, I don’t like the diamond cut silk at all! I guess because they don’t really look that full when produced and cannot be flattened out for use in a second effect. I rarely produce a silk that is not going to be used in more than one effect. I don’t vanish a silk that I haven’t first magically produced.

I believe that vanishing a silk with a TT is a poor use of a TT! There are much more powerful uses for it and a huge silk can be easily vanished without one.

Yes, it is just as easy to vanish a large 24 or 36 inch silk barehanded (or using a pull or hank ball, if you absolutely must use a gimmick!) as it is to vanish an 18- inch diamond cut silk using a TT.

I produce four 36-inch scarves, barehanded. I use the instant appearance for two of them and steal the second two from a load site. I later vanish one of them barehanded. No TT, no pull, no die-tube, no hank ball. Just a barehanded vanish, right out of Rice volume one!

I do have a corner of a silk glued in a fingertip for a gag vanish that I will perform from time to time. In this vanish the audience thinks that they see the silk in my fist when it is really already gone! This could be done with the silk corner glued into a thumb tip.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Harry,

I totally agree. It's as easy to vanish a 24" silk as it is an 18" any day of the week!

Plus, you can get printed 24" silks that are large enough for people to read. Printed 18" silks are a real compromise. They are hard for the audience to read!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Tyler_Magician
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

Profile of Tyler_Magician
Bigger is better. At least lay people think that. You could easily hide a 6" silk in your hand, but an 18" silk is impossible.
-Tyler
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Tyler,

That's why I use 24" ones. It makes the magicians wonder how!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Paul D
View Profile
Elite user
NY
455 Posts

Profile of Paul D
I use the Slydini silks. They are 18" and I feel that they are just the right size for all perfomances.
Astonishment as Therapy...?
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
The 18" silks are a very practical size. They look like handkerchiefs. Tony Slydini's silks were an odd ball 21". But Tony was no tall guy himself.

As I recall, and it has been over thirty years, he told us the perfect size silk for a magician is measured from his nose to his belly button. (For 21" to be right for Tony, he had to have held his nose up high!) He used all kinds of body measurements as reference. In his other life Tony was a good tailor.

I have heard others say to measure the perfect silk use from the tip of your longest finger to your elbow.

Most of us just have to live with what is for sale. (At least it isn't like my Navy days when they had two sizes: Too Large and Too Small.)

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I am willing to bet that Slydini's silk size was also related to width of the raw fabric. 21" with hemming is an even cut out of 45" raw width .
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Richard,

You are a practical man!

(How did you end up in magic?) LOL

It would not surprise me. Everything in silk now is cut from 90 cm. As a result, 12" silks are going to over populate the world! The 24" is the one increasing in popularity. That leaves a 12", 2 - 6", or a 9" and a small streamer. Every one of them costs more for the hem than the silk. (You can cut 9" diamond cuts but again, in this case, even a bad hem cost more than the silk.)

We've just got to talk to those silk worms!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Right you are. I am constantly trying to figure out ways to use 9" and 12" silks. 24" silks are a real pain, cut wise to make.

I got to admit that I chuckle to myself everytime I go the the silk section here and see the header for this post. There are so many lines that are better left unsaid.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Ya know, my wife was telling me the same thing the other day. (Rim-shot right here)

But seriously, the only time I use anything less than an 18" silk is at birthday parties, or when I am in a parlor or close up situation. 18", 24" and 36" look so good on stage.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
There you go Darkwing! You put on a really big show! Larger silks enlarge the act. No question about it.

Jeff McBride makes a point of that in several of his tapes. He's right!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Thank you, Bob. I really value your and Richard's extensive experience to be the best I can be.
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
I agree: use the larger silks while on stage, but for close up 12” silk’s are my preferred choice. David Williamson's "Whirly Bird" vanish only uses a 12" silk and has great impact! Further more it could be done with only a vest on, which to me is an added benefit.

MM
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
There is a reality check that goes with silks sizes. Larger silks make the show larger and make it easier to guide the audience's attention. However, all silks are somewhere all the time! They take up space. Here is a basic guide for space requirements of square silks.

36" = 16 silks 9", 9 silks 12", 4 silks 18" or 2 silks 24"

24" = 7 silks 9", 4 silks 12", nearly 2 silks 18"

18" = 4 silks 9", 2 silks 12"

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Size Matters (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL