The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Black Art (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
David Nathan Magic
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of David Nathan Magic
Hello Everyone,

I have a question about BA: Do you have to use velvet, velveteen or felt, or can you just use cotton?
I am not talking about the kind of BA Omar Pascha is doing, but the kind where it's extremely dark, and there's only one or two blacklights.

regards,
David
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
There have been several detailed threads about this and the best materials etc. A search might be the best thing for the most info.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1957 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
Quote:
On 2013-06-25 07:36, Blair Marshall wrote:
There have been several detailed threads about this and the best materials etc. A search might be the best thing for the most info.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!

Blair is right. In a nutshell, it's all about reflection. Many materials will reflect the light, whereas materials like velvet won't bounce the light so much and become as black as can be. It's worth the investment.
john wills
View Profile
Special user
940 Posts

Profile of john wills
The use of (real!) velvet is the only way to do it right.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3211 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
If using it in a known venue (where the lights are under your control) and you don't have to break it down and set it up to use in a variety of venues, you can use whatever works, including other colors besides black. Otherwise use black velvet or velour is safest for concealment of shadows.
David Nathan Magic
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

I have a little mini theater in my room (just for fun) where I play with black art. I have made several black art illusions at scale. In my (not very dark) bedroom, black cotton isn't visible. So them wouldn't it be invisible in a very dark theater as well?
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1957 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
In theory yes, if you have lit it properly. But remember that theatres do have some lights on at all times - such as exit signs.
David Nathan Magic
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

That's true, but my room is not so dark and still cotton is invisible. Even with the exit signs on, it would still be very dark. Perhaps, I could try it out with differen types of fabric?
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
893 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Feel free to experiment. Black felt can work in a pinch (or if you're really short on cash) but as said above, velvet is best- double velvet if possible.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
David Nathan Magic
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

OK, I will try some different fabrics.

Thanks, everyone!
john wills
View Profile
Special user
940 Posts

Profile of john wills
The only material that really always works is v e l v e t.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3211 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Another thing to consider is eyesight. To your eyes, the illusions you make and look at in your room may be perfectly adequate, but try getting the opinion of some children who have sharper eyesight and perhaps better night vision and see how they react and what they can tell you about what you think will work before you use it in public.

As a little challenge for those who think Black Art has always got to be the darkest most light absorbing black, there are some effects on The Magic Nook that make use of White Art, and not only white, but shiny, smooth, reflective white. What works for an illusion is not always what "tradition" says you "must" use. Sometimes you must actually break the rules to achieve the effect. PM me if you want to guess to which effects I'm referring. Spellbinder will kill me, but I'll put up a prize of a free Jim Gerrish e-Book of your choice for the winner(s). I may have to rescind this prize offer if I'm forced to live on peanut butter and crackers as a result.
David Nathan Magic
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Well actually I am a child, so I don't think I will need to consult children. But can you tell a little more about white art?
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3211 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
It's not about consulting children- get some opinions from others who may have more perfect eyesight than you, unless you are convinced your eyesight is perfect and what you see everyone else will also see.

In view of the contest running, I will not comment further on white art except in private PMs.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3211 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Quote:
On 2013-06-25 19:44, jimgerrish wrote:
As a little challenge for those who think Black Art has always got to be the darkest most light absorbing black, there are some effects on The Magic Nook that make use of White Art, and not only white, but shiny, smooth, reflective white. What works for an illusion is not always what "tradition" says you "must" use. Sometimes you must actually break the rules to achieve the effect. PM me if you want to guess to which effects I'm referring. Spellbinder will kill me, but I'll put up a prize of a free Jim Gerrish e-Book of your choice for the winner(s). I may have to rescind this prize offer if I'm forced to live on peanut butter and crackers as a result.

I declare the White Art contest at an end, with no winner. For those who attempted to identify Magic Nook effects that make use of white art, but who did not succeed, here are two possible answers:

Several of Qua-Fiki's Bunny Business effects make use of White Art. He has videos of the different effects, so I'll let you find them on your own. Spellbinder converted a UF Grant effect which used Black Art into an effect using White Art in the Mini-Mysteries section, Book 2, "Space Thought Revisited." There are other examples, but that's all I am revealing, just for those who PM'd me saying it couldn't be done and that there was no such thing as "White Art." If you want an example of "flashy neon rainbow art" check out my "Color-Free Table Well & Astro Box" in The Wizards' Journal #22.

Thanks for those who thought hard and tried their best; that is its own reward.
David Nathan Magic
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

I have tried several materials, indeed velvet's the best!
but I also found that if you use a fogger and you just use a little bit of fog over the stage, even cotton works fine!
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1050 Posts

Profile of thomasR
If you are working professional venues you also need to take into account fabric that is certified flame resistant.
john wills
View Profile
Special user
940 Posts

Profile of john wills
A little bit of fog to cover up: pigheaded.
Do it right or don't do it at all.
David Nathan Magic
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Look, I know that I should use velvet, and I do have about 5,5 metres... but that's not enough for my act.
though, the fabric is quite expensive, and I'm only 14 years old. so I'm simply looking for the cheapest way that works.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
I have seen it done with flat black paint even. It's all about light, reflection, shadow, etc. That can change from venue to venue.

I used black art in a venue last year with the curtains as a backdrop. I thought the curtains were black, so it should have worked. When I got there and started to set up, I discovered that the curtains were actually Navy Blue.

It worked anyway.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Black Art (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL