The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » David Copperfield American In Paris Levitation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MagicalFreak3
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of MagicalFreak3
Im shocked there is no thread that talks about this illusion here. This is DC's American In Paris Levitation, the levitation of a lady performed @ TMODC V: Vanishing The Statue Of Liberty. This is perhaps the most STUNNING levitation of an assistant I have ever seen (even levitation in general, the only illusion I can think that's more stunning in my eyes would be Copperfileds Vertical Asrah Levitation, aka After Hours). Im not gonna talk about how classical Copperfield performed this illusion. But I havent seen any other magician perform a levitation ever like that O_o . I watched 100s of levitations, but the X factor here is how Copperfield launches his assistant on the crowd.....that was just stunning. I have no idea how he did at least 50 % of this illusion. Which gets my mind questioning....Why didn't DC do any levitations like so until his flying illusion ? which was a decade after it or more....Does DC hold copyrights for this illusion [IM NOT THINKING ABOUT COPYING HIM JUST BEFORE ANYONE STARTS THINKING, JUST CURIOUS]. This is definetly in my top 10 best illusions ive ever seen !
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5707 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
It's Magic, Amr....

It's Magic.... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
MagicalMotivator
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of MagicalMotivator
Amr,

It is indeed a very unique illusion.

Interesting thing about that TV special - most of it was shot here in Toronto except for the statue of Liberty piece at the end. I know because I personally recognized many of the audience members as fellow performers.

Still as with all DC's work - the very best.

Rick
Rick Rossini The Magical Motivator
www.rossinimagic.com
www.magicalmotivator.com
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Did it every cross your mind that some of the illusions performed on television can not be performed ... live? There are some that base their careers on this type of logic ...

Steve
MagicalMotivator
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

I was trying to be polite - this is an open forum:)

Rick
www.rossinimagic.com
www.magicalmotivator.com
MagicalFreak3
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of MagicalFreak3
Chezaday And MagicalMotivator I thought about this, but the surprising part was it was on the list on david Copperfields illusions for 3 years....I would understand if he did it once, but it was on his tour list of illusions. There obviously was no camera tricks (it was 1983). I don't quiet understand what you guys mean ?! So DC has a stage full of stooges/magicians O_o ?1 How would that work ? lol well the idea never occurred to my mind by having stooges/magicians as the entire audience.

Pakar Illusi It was 1 of the most thinhgs ive seen that looked like real magic to me, fooled me bad n I love it Smile !
MagicalMotivator
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Amr,

Let me be very clear - I never said (not is there any)trick photography used. Nor did I say he had an audience full of magicians (this is not the case). This is an open form and I have no intention of even suggesting that. DC is amazing (and the real deal) and almost all his stuff you see on TV he can (within physical reason) perform live.

But sometimes TV specials (magic or other) will use "enhancements" to put together the best product for the viewing public, so you watching it on the screen will see the best possible presentation. If you were in the studio audience you might not see it exactly the same way.

Hope this helps,

Rick
www.rossinimagic.com
www.magicalmotivator.com
MagicalFreak3
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of MagicalFreak3
Yes MagicalMoticatos Of course, I was trying to think what ways would it seem 'different' on tv. Even though I don't fully understand what do magicians in the place have anything to do with it or what are these 'enhancements'. But I kind of understand where your coming from, especially due to the fact that the camera shots angle made the levitation look a lot higher than what it was etc.. Idk if I'm disappointed after this lol. But this helped, thank you Smile Smile
BRodgers
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of BRodgers
Quote:
On 2013-06-26 13:32, AmrKhaled wrote:
There obviously was no camera tricks (it was 1983).

I had to mention that in 1983 there was no shortage of very good "camera tricks", or visual effects. A prime example is 1977's Star Wars.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076759/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=367FSjWvNB4

I agree with others on the main point though. DC does the same illusions live as on TV, I have seen many of them personally....Lotto/Car, Portal. He has different methods for each illusion. The best of which are shown on TV.
Creator of The Phantom Band 360
john wills
View Profile
Special user
940 Posts

Profile of john wills
I think you have never seen this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla......3GplChqE
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1723 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Oh yes John, I remember this one. Great illusion ! Great feeling ! Simply great entertainement !

I'm so sad, that I never had the chance to see them live.

Thank you,

Oliver.
James FX
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia
178 Posts

Profile of James FX
As a young kid I was lucky enough to see S&R twice in Vegas and then Copperfield once in DC. Two different shows entirely, but both equally life changing. I owe my love for magic to those live shows. I hope to see Copperfield's new show in Vegas later this year!
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1221 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
Is the song in the SnR levitation from a movie? It sounds very familiar.
krille
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of krille
The song is: The Dragon's Heartbeat

It's the soundtrack from DRAGON: The Bruce Lee story.
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1221 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
Thanks krille!!! I should have guessed that. As a kid and 8 year student of Kung fu, I must have watched that movie a hundred times growing up!
krille
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of krille
I've seen it a few times myself Smile
Irish_matt
View Profile
Loyal user
St.Louis, MO
202 Posts

Profile of Irish_matt
Copperfield first performed the "American in Paris" levitation on his 1978 special with Orson Wells hosting. It's just a standard Harbin levi which he likely performing for some years on stage. The one from his 5th special was probably never performed live. remember, back in 1983 when this was broadcast, he wasn't the touring magician that he became. To continue to have TV specials he had to perform many many tricks that he never performed live.
Sap4997
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Sap4997
James FX

Regular user
Virginia
166 Posts Posted: Jun 30, 2013 11:30am
As a young kid I was lucky enough to see S&R twice in Vegas and then Copperfield once in DC. Two different shows entirely, but both equally life changing. I owe my love for magic to those live shows. I hope to see Copperfield's new show in Vegas later this year!

I too have seen S&R perform numerous times. There show at the mirage was top notch, and will go down as one of the best show productions ever produced.
They weren't (in my opinion) the best magicians I have seen, but they were the best entertainers and showman ever! The storyline and plot of there show, which I believe had a lot to do with there producer Kenneth feld was nothing short of pure genious.
john wills
View Profile
Special user
940 Posts

Profile of john wills
Sap,
The storyline of S & R is/was as Deutsch (German) as Siegfried and Roy themselves.
I will make it easy for you: see Wagner.
Sap4997
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Sap4997
Sap,
The storyline of S & R is/was as Deutsch (German) as Siegfried and Roy themselves.
I will make it easy for you: see Wagner.

Will do!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » David Copperfield American In Paris Levitation (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL