The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » David Copperfield American In Paris Levitation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1471 Posts

Profile of Scott Alexander
I believe the Gershwin lev has its roots in the Harbin book.
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

www.scottalexander.bigcartel.com

Website

www.scottalexandermagic.com
john wills
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of john wills
Scott,
Exactly, the "Gershwin", with the fly-up of the curtains, is from Harbin's book.
The "American in Paris" is a different levitation, qua modus operandi.
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
883 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
John, there are actually variations of Copperfield's levi being discussed. In one it was with the fly-up curtains, and the more recent one was with the "TV only" floating forward at the end. Both used Gershwin's "An American in Paris".
Fungineer
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Fungineer
Can we revisit this thread? I'm familiar with the 1978 special which appears to be the Harbin method, with very good execution.

The 1983 special (Statue of Liberty) starts with (what appears to be) a Harbin type, but then results in a horizontal movement.

I understand that many effects don't work live that were recorded for TV, but I'd like someone to point me in the right direction for the 1983 levitation(s). I'm looking to understand the theory and historical reference.
aposjf12
View Profile
New user
New York City
96 Posts

Profile of aposjf12
You might try reading Steinmeyers Hiding The Elephant. He details what I believe is the Keller Levitation. This may be the method DC is using. As for camera tricks don't interpret that as optical effects or something akin to star wars. think more in the sense of clever angles and different angles and lighting only suitable for TV. The woman floating out over the audience like he does here may only be performed on tv as the method would be reveealed in a real world situation. The DC levitation is in print in many books. The old books are the best resource.
Fungineer
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Fungineer
I'm aware of the Kellar levitation, and have read all of Steinmeyer's stuff. I don't believe this is that method.

I'm very familiar with the Aga, Harbin, Kellar/Thurston, etc.

Recall that this was in 1983, well before any of Guaghan's flying work.

thanks much!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » David Copperfield American In Paris Levitation (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL