The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Get a shimmed expanded [ and throwaway the rest? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

FlightRisk
View Profile
Loyal user
North Carolina
290 Posts

Profile of FlightRisk
I'm wondering about multi-tasking gaffs. If you have a shimmed and expanded [, would you ever need a regular one? A shim makes it do double duty. And if you have a m******c coin, then you don't need an m******c [. Can you think of any reason you would need a regular or m******c [ if you had a shimmed one?
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5120 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Bacause A) a sh****d [ is only attracted to a mag**t, not mag***ic
B) a sh****d expanded [ is thin enough inside without the sh*m so side coverage is lessened
C) a mag****c coin in a sh***ed [ is now locked and you need a magnet to unlock it using reverse polarity
Just answering your basic questions there - so no - you probably don't want to go through life with only a sh***ed sh**l if you are a gaffer. although there are MANY poeple on here who do great coin magic by never or hardly ever wringing in a gaff. Arguably the exp [ or the C/S coin are probably the 2 most versitile and powerful gaffs out there if you are only going to own one or two. Check out some effects by our own MB217 http://www.vinnymarini.com/download/ scroll down and watch some Marion Boykin demos - he is amazing and rarely uses a gaff.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5326 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I don’t even read posts in "secret" code... the green background at the Café is tough enough on the eyes!

I guess you guys really believe that non-magicians are constantly scouring the pages of the Café desperately looking for posts about shells, shims, and magnets? Frightening! Next they'll want our Verizon phone records!

J*m Smile
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5120 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On 2013-06-26 20:01, J-Mac wrote:
I don’t even read posts in "secret" code... the green background at the Café is tough enough on the eyes!

I guess you guys really believe that non-magicians are constantly scouring the pages of the Café desperately looking for posts about shells, shims, and magnets? Frightening! Next they'll want our Verizon phone records!

J*m Smile

even though I thought it was a rule not to be so blunt outside of the "secret sessions" area of the forum. I only Post or answer "in code" if it has been presented in that way and am guilty of often not. But rest assured Jim, I like you Smile and did not try in any way to offend you. as a matter of fact, you were also one who I thought of when talking about people who don't have to use every gaff on the market. (and in case you don't know already, the NSA probably has our Verizon records and are probably teaching each other the French Drop as we speak Smile )
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5326 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Hey, I wasn’t offended!

Just havin' a little fun! Smile

Jim
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2613 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
A fair amount of things said on certain threads could be construed as (unintended) exposure, but as Jim points out, I don't think the merely curious are that much of a threat. Not one person that I've performed for has ever said, "hey, I read about that on the Caf�!"

Doesn't mean we shouldn't be careful, though!
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8859 Posts

Profile of funsway
By playing these games with the names of gimmicks and sleights we will send the shallow wanna-be's away with the impressing that the "Secrets of magic" have something to do with "stuff." The guy still standing after musical chairs does not lose -- he is the one who might understand ...

the only exposure we should fear is fumbling performers.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
Motor City
View Profile
Special user
Metro Detroit Area
558 Posts

Profile of Motor City
Quote:
On 2013-06-26 13:20, FlightRisk wrote:
I'm wondering about multi-tasking gaffs. If you have a shimmed and expanded [, would you ever need a regular one? A shim makes it do double duty. And if you have a m******c coin, then you don't need an m******c [. Can you think of any reason you would need a regular or m******c [ if you had a shimmed one?

If you have a magnetic flipper, by using a shim shell all would lock and make a complete vanish much easier. By using a regular shell all would be the same except for the locking feature. I prefer to have both. This gives me the options I look for.
cablerock
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of cablerock
I have a flipper with a magnet and a shimmed shell and the magnet is weak enough that it still falls out of the shell when I want it to. Just throwing it out there, because it doesn't ever 'lock'.
Daz Buckley
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
469 Posts

Profile of Daz Buckley
Tradesmen use different tools for different jobs.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Get a shimmed expanded [ and throwaway the rest? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL