The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Greatest Stage Illusion Ever (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MagicalFreak3
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of MagicalFreak3
This would be a very interesting topic I guess Smile Would be pretty fun to hear people's opinions on what their choice for the greatest illusion ever performed that they've ever seen being performed on stage would be.

For me I didn't need to think a lot, hands down I would say for me It would be:

" David Copperfield's Portal Illusion "

This for me, is hands down the GREATEST STAGE ILLUSION EVER PERFORMED by a magician/illusionist before. This just passes any boundary in my mind for amusement and amazement. I don't know where to start whether the disappearance or the reappearance....or the amount of technology needed to perform this illusion. And to quad-ripple the amazement of this....DC actually use to perform this IN HIS TOUR for years night after night, not just a one time event Smile !
My knowledge on how this illusion works is nearly 0 % . And a big part of me doesn't wanna know and just wants to live the magic Smile Additionally the way Copperfield does it with the music is very emotional concerning the IMPOSSIBILITY of it and if you believe its possible along with the 5 star music of the dragonheart theme finale. Also the way its performed with no stooges whatsoever by having a Frisbee thrown in the audience etc.. Also the vanishing the way they are... "SUCKED IN THE PORTAL" as the curtain is pulled away. And done apparently "WITH AN AUDIENCE MEMBER" (even if it was someone per-planned with as any spectator would think that, its still that amazing and doesn't take away anything from the illusion).

So that's why I think this is the greatest stage illusion ever performed. Even in comparison with grand illusions, it will be tough for me to decide Portal or Vanishing The Statue Of Liberty was more amazing.

I thought about the illusion "thirteen" as the greatest ever, but I guess It would be in my top 3 or so not my top one Smile Smile !

Your welcomed to participate and say what do you think was the greatest stage illusion/stage magic you have ever witnessed and why Smile !
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
For me, it was Harry Blackstone Jr's Dancing Hanky. It's not because it was some power-packed production. It's because it caught my attention and made me WANT to believe that the little handkerchief had come to life.

THAT to me is what magic is all about. Anybody with enough money had DO a trick...but it takes a special skill to be magical.

It's not about the boxes, the props or any of that (although those things have their place and are certainly important). It's about the WONDER. It's about creating a smile. It's about touching a heart. It's all about getting someone to stop and think "maybe I DO believe!"

If we can create THAT feeling in our audience...we have created magic.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
noble1
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of noble1
Teller's "Shadows" would be on my list.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
AK, you have to spend more time going through the Café files, many of the topics that you bring up have been well covered, and some more than once.

However, that being said, seeing Flying live and up close is an incredible experience.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
DavidThomas
View Profile
Loyal user
231 Posts

Profile of DavidThomas
Blair, I agree Flying was as perfect an illusion you can get. If we were "Real Magicians" then flying would be what we would do. I did love the Death Saw..the staging the visuals were incredible. In my opinion Copperfield has created and performed the greatest illusions in Magic.
David Thomas
TheWorldofMagic.com
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
IF THE STORY IS TRUE, then I would have to say Jean Robert-Houdin's performance of the light and heavy chest to prevent an uprising with the Marabouts. He was able to actually convince his audience that the magic was real.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
msillusions
View Profile
New user
Ft. Worth
60 Posts

Profile of msillusions
Harry Blackstone Jr. performing the floating lightbulb was it for me. When that lightbulb flew out over the audience and then back to him, it was beyond a pre-teen kids realm of understanding. It was beautiful and magical and I will remember it always.
msillusions
View Profile
New user
Ft. Worth
60 Posts

Profile of msillusions
If I were talking current performers, I would have to agree with noble1, that Teller's Shadows is one of my current favorites.
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1314 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
After seeing Penn & Teller this past summer in Vegas, Tellers "Shadows" was great but I thought his version of the Misers Dream was absolutely incredible. It got audible "gasps" from the audience (mine included).

Mark
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1723 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
For me this is a very difficult question to answer since I've seen already so many things. Even though I didn't see everything, but concerning David Copperfield I was more amazed, mesmerized and entertained with his Flying than any other of his illusions.

I agree with David that it was very magical to see this illusion performed on his live tour and close up (I was sitting in the 4th row center stage).

But as said, there are so many well performed and presented illusions by different artistes that I've seen already that I think it's very hard to have a number 1.

Oliver.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
David Devant's The Moth (when it worked).
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Seeing Blackstone (SR) do Drum that can't be beat. Copp's Flying. Harbin doing Zig Zag. Phoa's cut/restored handkerchief.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
msillusions
View Profile
New user
Ft. Worth
60 Posts

Profile of msillusions
Pete, I don't recall Phoa, can you help my old brain out with more information?
john wills
View Profile
Special user
940 Posts

Profile of john wills
Msillusions,
I can help you out.
Phoa was a top performer from Holland.
I will give you a link, so you have the c/r handkerchief and
search for other links on you tube.
Santé
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla......jOSw_epk
Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
826 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
Flying - hands down.

Haven't seen Shadows yet - looking forward to seeing it in August!

Instagram: @mattadamsministries

Facebook: www.facebook.com/mattadamsministries
msillusions
View Profile
New user
Ft. Worth
60 Posts

Profile of msillusions
John Wills, thank you ! I have been in magic a long time and I could not recall the name Phoa. I appreciate your help!
MagicalFreak3
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of MagicalFreak3
Mr. Blair, in fact before I started this thread, I searched the Café for similar topics and didn't find any similar topics and didn't find, so yeah thanks Smile

Its VERY interesting seeing the different opinions of people, especially seeing some old school stuff Smile
john wills
View Profile
Special user
940 Posts

Profile of john wills
Old school stuff?????
CLASSICS they are!!!!!!!!!
MagicalFreak3
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of MagicalFreak3
I never disagreed Mr. John, but I thought with the development of technology and the more availabilty of ready illusion props and illusion plans, Id see a lot more picks on the new illusions.
MagicalFreak3
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of MagicalFreak3
One certain illusion that I had a tough time deciding if it was better than Copperfield's Portal was

" David Copperfield's Barclay House "

There are no words that can describe the beauty of this illusion and series of mind blowing jaw shattering stunts there.
I honestly have no idea how ANY part of the illusion works but I just wanna believe that these were ghosts Smile !
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Greatest Stage Illusion Ever (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL