The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » You can have on of these. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Shikanominarazu
View Profile
Loyal user
256 Posts

Profile of Shikanominarazu
I'm going to buy one of these books (maybe both) when I visit the states again in July.
Steranko on Cards by Jim Steranko
A Cut Above by Vincent Foy.
You can only have one. Which do you take?
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Steranko on Cards
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3419 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
On 2013-06-27 12:52, Vlad_77 wrote:
Steranko on Cards

No argument there!
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Shikanominarazu
View Profile
Loyal user
256 Posts

Hmm. No one for Foy? Interesting.
Well, I may still get both, but I guess Steranko seems the consensus (sample size notwithstanding).
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2533 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
I'll increase the sample size by one and also recommend Steranko on Cards.
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
Shikanominarazu
View Profile
Loyal user
256 Posts

Ok, new books into the poll, that I have decided I may also want:
4 options now are:
Steranko on Cards
A Cut Above
Approaching Magic by David Regal
The Complete Works of Derek Dingle

How do we vote now?
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5441 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
What exactly are you looking for, because these are four very different books. Steranko offers a wide variety of sleights and applications, The Foy book is pretty much an exploration of one-handed cuts. Dingle offers some truly brilliant, but mostly advanced card routines. Regal is the most wide-ranging book of material (not all cards) out of the four you have chosen. I love the Regal book, and as much as I like Steranko, I would pick Dingle over it. The Foy book is interesting, but would likely end up sitting on your shelf.

So... get two, and out of these four I would pick:
- Approaching Magic by David Regal
- The Complete Works of Derek Dingle

Also... Steranko is a pretty thin book, and the international shipping would not be as great as either Regal or Dingle, which are considerable in size.

Where in Japan are you from?
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
^ Agree.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Well if we're increasing the sample size and the OP does seem all over the infield on this, I would suggest either the Regal book or Dingle. I voted before on Steranko, but, that was because the op named two books.

The Dingle book is great but the Regal book as Magiguy stated is more far ranging and I would add that the essays are essential reading, i.e, don't just skip over them for the effects.
tenchu
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1049 Posts

Profile of tenchu
Approaching Magic by David Regal.
Shikanominarazu
View Profile
Loyal user
256 Posts

Cool, nice to see the responses. I know the list is a little baffling, but I just wanted to see what the more experienced posters thought of the books I thought looked interesting. I like to see how you guys and gals think.
Magiguy: I'm from LA, but I'm in Japan for a long term stay. I'm in Tokyo at the moment.
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Why not simply peruse the shelves at the Onasaka's Magic Shop in Tokyo? You could look at the books and find one you like.
Shikanominarazu
View Profile
Loyal user
256 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-07-01 02:48, kentfgunn wrote:
Why not simply peruse the shelves at the Onasaka's Magic Shop in Tokyo? You could look at the books and find one you like.

I'm pretty sure only one of these books are on the shelf at Magicland, sadly. I will check again when I head out there again this week, though.
But like I said, the reason I started the thread was to see what others thought.
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
I would get the book on Derek Dingle, hands down. It is full of great, but difficult material.
magicduro
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
529 Posts

Profile of magicduro
Dingle's book is a outstanding for close up sleight of hand. Steranko's card techniques are ground breaking and can be great tools to have in your arsenal. I have not read "A Cut Above".David Regal's Approaching Magic is a (imo) a modern classic. Pound for pound, it has an incredible amount to offer.

1) The diversity and depth of material is outstanding. There is material from close-up to stage. There are routines with cards, coins, paper money, mentalism, rings, and more.

2) The essays. David's thoughts on scripting, premise, and structure CAN help you become a better performer.

3) David's presentations. His skill as a writer shines through and you can learn from his examples.
bidbid
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of bidbid
Sterank on cards.
Magic-Scott
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of Magic-Scott
Dingle and Regal, both great books!
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6078 Posts

Profile of motown
Steranko
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Bulla
View Profile
Special user
Honolulu, HI
673 Posts

Profile of Bulla
A Cut Above by Vincent Foy. Of course if you're not really into one-handed cuts then stay away from this book.

If you're looking for a book with effects then I would get Derek Dingle's.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I love David's work, Dingle...I honestly don't think I've ever opened the book except to have him sign it. Steranko all the way. I used to do about 4 pieces in there. Now, just one that I reserve for Halloween when I want to make grown men scream like a 6 year old girl.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » You can have on of these. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL