The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Hey Bob! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Cubs are playing the Mariners for the first time in 3 years.

Not exactly a battle of the titans but I am sick of all the other bs we always end up disagreeing about. This will at least be fun. It is my mid year resolution.

Tomorrow afternoon is the throwback uniforms.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I guess it just means I'm old, but I think there's something funny about the Mariners playing in "throwback" uniforms.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I never thought of it but I know the cubs are. I think Seattle had a different name at one point?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
The Seattle Pilots became the Brewers...the Mariners are unrelated. The Mariners have been around since the late 70s, which is more than enough time to have a throwback day, but I still remember them (along with the Blue Jays) when they were new.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea me too.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Actually, I watched the games on TV in Chicago where I've been since Wednesday for the Psychic Entertainers Association's annual Meeting of the Minds. I purposely didn't bring my computer with me. It was great being offline for five days! Liberating even!

Just wanted you to know that I only saw this thread just now and I wasn't ignoring it. But I agree that its more fun talking baseball then the other crap we always argue about here and which we'll never agree on.

The Cubs and the Mariners, though, are in fact tied for the most wins in a single season. I remember the hysterical ad campaign that the Mariners had on TV here when they were chasing the record. It showed the modern day Mariners playing against a bunch of geriatric old guys dressed as the 1908 Cubs. The old guys were tripping Mariners as they ran they bases, throwing sucker punches, etc. It was really funny.

Good thoughts,

Bob
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
What we need are throw back prices on food and drink. Smile
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-06-30 23:11, motown wrote:
What we need are throw back prices on food and drink. Smile

Food and soft drinks- I agree. But remember the fiasco when the Cleveland Indians decided to do a "throwback" ten cent beer night back in 1974?

A fun time was had by all! But I doubt they'll ever do it again.

Quote:
Six days later, Cleveland's Ten Cent Beer Night promotion drew 25,134 fans to Cleveland Stadium for the Indians/Rangers game, twice the number expected.[6] Many attendees arrived at the game drunk and/or stoned.[7]

The Rangers quickly took a 5-1 lead. Meanwhile, throughout the game, the inebriated crowd grew more and more unruly. Early in the game, Cleveland's Leron Lee hit a line drive into the stomach of Rangers pitcher Ferguson Jenkins, after which Jenkins dropped to the ground. Fans in the upper deck of the stadium cheered, then chanted "Hit 'em again! Hit 'em again! Harder! Harder!" A woman ran out to the Indians' on-deck circle and flashed her breasts, and a naked man sprinted to second base as Grieve hit his second home run of the game. A father and son pair ran onto the outfield and mooned the fans in the bleachers one inning later.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Cent_Beer_Night

:eek:
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The good news is the Cubs are in mid season form. The bad news is...the same thing.

Gotta love George Will. (Not politically. ) He is a baseball fan. Specifically a Cubs fan.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
And Bob I never thought you were ignoring me.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

I'm glad Danny. But I haven't been on line since Wednesday morning and I just wanted you to know.

Had a great time in Chicago. It will now take me several days to recover.

I liked the Mariners/Cubs series. I wish they played each other more often because they make each other look good.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea they do that!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Hey Bob! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL