The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What Would You Sat... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
What would you say the advantages of going to a brick and mortar shop are? Any disadvantages?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15772 Posts

Profile of tommy
Huff & Puff proof. Jobs. Exercise. Socialable.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Profile of MobilityBundle
For any particular type of shopping?

In general, the advantages include:

1. Being able to kick the metaphorical tires on the things you're shopping for. How important that is depends on what you're shopping for. (For example, I'm happy buying a familiar brand of laundry detergent sight unseen. Less so for vegetables or, perhaps more to the point, a magic gimmick I'm unfamiliar with.)

2. Being able to advantageous foster relationships over repeat visits. (Perhaps this is part of what Tommy's referring to by "socialable.")

3. Immediate gratification of getting the thing right away.

Disadvantages include the logistics. That is, even if the brick and mortar shop is around the corner, getting there is usually more of a hassle than getting online and ordering something. Sometimes, getting there is a downright hassle. Another disadvantage includes... exercise. Smile

Separately, I'm not sure what Tommy means by "jobs," but I think he means that by going to brick and mortar stores, one keeps more people employed. I'm not sure that's necessarily true in all cases. And even if it were, it's not an advantage of going to a brick and mortar store. If an online store can serve the same market as a collection of brick and mortar stores with the same level of consumer satisfaction but with fewer employees, that just means brick and mortar stores are inefficient. Preserving historical inefficiency isn't an advantage in my book... the extra employees in brick-and-mortar-land would better spend their time doing something else productive. (Of course, my condition of "the same level of consumer satisfaction" is not always achieved... see, for example, this list. Smile )
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Tommy +1
~michael baker
The Magic Company
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4755 Posts

Profile of landmark
4. Any decent brick and mortar will help you with difficulties in performing what you've bought.
ShirtlessKirk
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of ShirtlessKirk
There are brick and mortar shops still?
gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
Yes Kirk there are still brick and mortar shop.

Thanks everyone. Now, if we can only get some of them to update there inventory!!
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15772 Posts

Profile of tommy
It's not easy for them to compete. Over here shops that have closed down have took to leaving signs in their windows which read “Thank you for shopping with Amazon”
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What Would You Sat... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL