The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Do you like or use "Killer ending"? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jiceh
View Profile
Special user
France
742 Posts

Profile of Jiceh
In a lot of tricks, you can find killer ending like :
- the back of the selected card has an other color
- all the cards have no face except the selected card
- apparition of a giant coin at the end of the routine (I know, it's coin magic but it is an example)
- and a lot of more...

Most of the time, I don't like these tricks because :
- all the routine is done in order to use the killer ending so the routine is not very interesting until the killer
- the killer ending has no relation with the trick done before (It's typical with the apparition of the geant coin,. It's why I used this example)
- The whole routine lacks coherence

One thing,I don't like is the use of killer ending used several time (repetition). Obviously, there is exceptions...

What is your opinion?
Do you like "killer ending"? Do you use such them? Can you name somes that you use and the context of the routine?

I
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
I see your point. But taking the giant coin as an example, it often comes at the end of a one coin flurry. I'm not sure that there's anything disconnected there. A coin appears, it vanishes, it appears, it vanishes, then after a few more cycles it turns into a giant coin. Seems okay to me, although I do not use one.

An example which does make your point is sticking a colour changing deck ending onto Chicago Opener. I would like to read Whit Haydn's thoughts on this.
Jiceh
View Profile
Special user
France
742 Posts

Profile of Jiceh
Quote:
On 2013-06-30 06:46, tomsk192 wrote:
I see your point. But taking the giant coin as an example, it often comes at the end of a one coin flurry. I'm not sure that there's anything disconnected there. A coin appears, it vanishes, it appears, it vanishes, then after a few more cycles it turns into a giant coin. Seems okay to me, although I do not use one.

An example which does make your point is sticking a colour changing deck ending onto Chicago Opener. I would like to read Whit Haydn's thoughts on this.

I think that a KE can be justified with something that happens before ... or after. It is a matter of context
jcroop
View Profile
Special user
766 Posts

Profile of jcroop
I think the killer ending can add an addition level of magic and astonishment if done correctly.

Certainly if the "routine is not very interesting until the killer" or otherwise "lacks coherence" you are correct. However, the spectators may still come away satisfied since the killer ending is the last thing they remember even if the experience could have been more.

I recently read an article, ( I think by Tom Stone) on structuring routines that focuses just on this. (Sorry - I searched and couldn't find it, as usual.)

Is it appropriate to just go for the gut reaction (killer ending) or have a more integrated approach of experiencing increasing magical moments along the way?

Whether "we" like the killer ending or not, it does usually leave a positive impact on the spectator.
ShirtlessKirk
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of ShirtlessKirk
What you are calling a killer ending is often referred to as a kicker ending.


If the main routine is weaker to allow for the kicker ending than I don't think much of the routine. How much of a non sequitur the kicker is also plays a role in whether I would use it or not. I don't care for a kicker ending just because you can do one, it has to make some sort of sense regardless of the effect it may have on the audience.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2724 Posts

Profile of RS1963
If used intelegently they can serve the performer well. Derek Dingle was known for using kickers often. The ending to the cups and balls is a kicker.
Jiceh
View Profile
Special user
France
742 Posts

Profile of Jiceh
Quote:
On 2013-06-30 09:16, jcroop wrote:
However, the spectators may still come away satisfied since the killer ending is the last thing they remember even if the experience could have been more.
Whether "we" like the killer ending or not, it does usually leave a positive impact on the spectator.


1 - I think that this is the problem. Magicians use Killer ending (or Kicker ending)and often they don't really care about the whole impact of the routine because they also remember the last thing the audience react at. I think that when they do an analyse of their performance, they haven't the good elements to make their opinion.

2 - Yes, a Killer ending leave a positive impact on the spectator. But a good routine with a end (a lot of routines have no end) do the same job and the audience can rememeber the trick, not just the big coin that appears at the end of the trick.
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2999 Posts

Profile of fonda57
I don't thing there is any one or the other, it's what you do, how you perform. If you make the whole routine entertaining, the kicker ending won't stand alone. In addition to the aforementioned Derek Dingle, Darwin Ortiz has been known to produce kicker endings, so they can't be all bad.
I j
Jiceh
View Profile
Special user
France
742 Posts

Profile of Jiceh
Quote:
On 2013-06-30 14:49, fonda57 wrote:
I don't thing there is any one or the other, it's what you do, how you perform. If you make the whole routine entertaining, the kicker ending won't stand alone. In addition to the aforementioned Derek Dingle, Darwin Ortiz has been known to produce kicker endings, so they can't be all bad.

Darwin Ortiz knowns how to construct routines (DD too).
But I don't think that their best routines use kicker ending.
Derek dingle is famous for making his living with only 6 tricks...and I'm not sure that these tricks use kicker ending.
I'm not a big fan of Derek dingle (even if some of his routines are fantastic) because of the kicker endind (with repetition) he used in a lot of his routine.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2724 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Somethings may need a kicker ending. A one coin routine not always but in some cases needs that kicker ending. It depends on a few things if it's usage is needed or not.
Macphail
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of Macphail
It seems to me that the best endings are simply inexplicable, like card to impossible location, or the final load in cups and balls.
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2999 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Jiceh--who are some of the magicians who inspire you?
I j
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
For the most part I dislike kicker endings. Most are non sequiturs; thus, they tend to destroy the flow of the routine onto which they are tagged.

Intelligently designed, a kicker ending can enhance a routine. Alas, most are not intelligently designed.
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1764 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
I tend to agree with fonda57

I think the ending of a Brainwave deck is a good example of a kicker ending that takes the effect to the next level. I get great reactions from this. First they are amazed that they chose the card you turned over in the face down deck- effect can end here, and then if you've worded your patter correctly you can say, "Not only did I stick a card in the deck upside down, but I chose a card from a different deck." People have told me this is actually scary. lol

I also like the ending of Solari's Miracle Miser. People react very well to this.

I think a lot of it has to do with presentation. Just my .02¢ But I'm a noob. Smile
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
DollarThief
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of DollarThief
I guess this is the wrong forum, but I don't like the Jumbo Coin killer ending. Nobody thinks it is really the same coin made larger, the magic comes from the surprise and from producing a large object from a seemingly small space. I'd rather produce something you can give away.
Jiceh
View Profile
Special user
France
742 Posts

Profile of Jiceh
Quote:
On 2013-06-30 20:59, S2000magician wrote:
For the most part I dislike kicker endings. Most are non sequiturs; thus, they tend to destroy the flow of the routine onto which they are tagged.

Intelligently designed, a kicker ending can enhance a routine. Alas, most are not intelligently designed.


It's my point of view too but you say it with better words
Jiceh
View Profile
Special user
France
742 Posts

Profile of Jiceh
Quote:
On 2013-06-30 22:21, Preston68 wrote:
I think the ending of a Brainwave deck is a good example of a kicker ending that takes the effect to the next level. I get great reactions from this. First they are amazed that they chose the card you turned over in the face down deck- effect can end here, and then if you've worded your patter correctly you can say, "Not only did I stick a card in the deck upside down, but I chose a card from a different deck." People have told me this is actually scary. lol

The kicker ending of the Brainwave deck is good because it is logic or can be made logic by presentation.
Jiceh
View Profile
Special user
France
742 Posts

Profile of Jiceh
Quote:
On 2013-06-30 20:05, fonda57 wrote:
Jiceh--who are some of the magicians who inspire you?

Dai Vernon
Nate Leipzig
Dani DaOrtiz
Arturo de Ascanio
Tommy Wonder
Del Ray...
ShirtlessKirk
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of ShirtlessKirk
Quote:
On 2013-07-01 00:52, DollarThief wrote:
I guess this is the wrong forum, but I don't like the Jumbo Coin killer ending. Nobody thinks it is really the same coin made larger, the magic comes from the surprise and from producing a large object from a seemingly small space. I'd rather produce something you can give away.


John Bannon sort of addressed this problem with his routine. The audience never thinks it is the same coin so the routine doesn't end with the jumbo coin production.
bidbid
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of bidbid
It's important not to overkill the spectator, or the reaction with or without the killer ending will be the same.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Do you like or use "Killer ending"? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL