The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Interesting experience to share (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MagicMatt629
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of MagicMatt629
I was out working my normal pitch yesterday, and ended with a signed bill to lemon. Nothing unusual there. Just before I cut open the lemon I hand the knife to a spectator to ensure it is real. I usually make a joke regarding the specstor working for a government agency and being disgruntled. Whatever agency happens to bein the news that week - EASY material! I've used TSA, GSA, IRS, postal service, etc etc. Yesterday I used the postal service. I finished the trick and concluded with the hat line. Afterwards a lady came up to me and said in a somewhat snotty tone, "I don't appreciate you picking on the postal service. I work for them and we are trying to change our reputation. It's people like you that aren't helping. I would appreciate it if you don't use that line again. It isn't respectful it but good show." I said, "miss I'm sorry and I make fun of everyone equally as you saw during the show. But thanks for watching and enjoying." She walked away. But hey, at least she liked the show! I don't have a crude or rude character during my show and just wanted to be polite afterwards. Should I or could I have handled this differently?

What typed of experiences like this have other people had and how have you delt with them? Gotta love people!! Smile
#BelieveTheImpossible



www.facebook.com/MattThomasMagic
PaulSharke
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of PaulSharke
Have you considered taking her request to heart?
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
You did the right thing. she was just proving your point about the post office
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Matthew Crabtree
View Profile
Special user
582 Posts

Profile of Matthew Crabtree
I had something like this happen in a bar show. While in the middle of my act, I made a joke about seeing the pictures. Silence. Everyone had this look on their face. Turns out the guy who I was I had up to do the trick had some photos of him in a not so positive light. It was the first time that line ever came back to bite me.
MagicMatt629
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of MagicMatt629
@Pasdy: that's exactly what thought!

@PaulSharke: No, I didn't take her request to heart because I don't want to change my show for every random person I offend. Yes, maybe I missed out on a few extra dollars, but it's my show I've always done that is successful.

Great story Matthew. I assume you still use the line?
#BelieveTheImpossible



www.facebook.com/MattThomasMagic
Matthew Crabtree
View Profile
Special user
582 Posts

Profile of Matthew Crabtree
Still use it from time to time. It was the "I have seen the photos of you in the women's clothing." as a set up for the bra coming out when I pull the rope through them. It is something that I only do in the bars and only for a mostly male group. First time I ever got that reaction.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5309 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Hey that's my bit? Smile Just don't worry about it. When you interact with an audience at some point someone is going to be offended.....its how it goes....AND that's A LAME LINE and no one should be offended by it...

good luck with your show Smile
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2696 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2013-06-30 18:42, Paddy wrote:
You did the right thing. she was just proving your point about the post office


No, if she was going to prove his point, she's have flown into a rage and attacked him!
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
KendallScot
View Profile
Regular user
Denver, Colorado
133 Posts

Profile of KendallScot
Work it into your act! Still say the same line but add, "...But wait, I hear they are working on that now" or something along those lines...

I had a very nice lady watch my table magic once in Florida. It turns out she was a devout Southern "Something" Christian and was extremely offended by my magic and proceeded to follow me around screaming gospel and trying to perform an impromptu exorcism in the bar. I just took a break (and laughed my butt off) until she calmed down and then I went right back to business as usual.

You never know who is watching your show or who will be offended by whatever you do. So, don't worry, keep doing your show your way!
Kendall Scot

"The art of a magician is to create wonder. If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives will be filled with joy"
**Doug Henning**

"I drank WHAT?""
**Socrates**
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5309 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Don't change anything....the line is fine. Ive used it 20,000 times....REALLY!
Theres going to be someone offended no matter what you do. It's the streets, if they don't like it they can walk.
Its rediculous to beleive that someone could really be offfended by such a lame ass line.

And that line is in a specific part of MY show and its important to the switch.... don't worry about it.....did she give you money? MOVE ON...
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On 2013-06-30 11:30, MagicMatt629 wrote:
Afterwards a lady came up to me and said in a somewhat snotty tone, "I don't appreciate you picking on the postal service. I work for them and we are trying to change our reputation. It's people like you that aren't helping. I would appreciate it if you don't use that line again. It isn't respectful it but good show." I said, "miss I'm sorry and I make fun of everyone equally as you saw during the show. But thanks for watching and enjoying."


Physiologically speaking, she knows the joke is funny because it is true ... otherwise, she wouldn't feel the need to defend the post office.

She is also way off base thinking that you doing a magic show is somehow damaging the reputation of the post office - the post office is the entity doing that.

What she basically wants to do is just sweep the problems under the rug and act like they don't exist. I would have told her "no".

-JoeJoe
Watch the Pilot Episode of my new TV Show:As Seen on TV: The JoeJoe Magic Show
Learn JoeJoe's secrets at Magic Joint dot com
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
442 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
I think I would have told her "naaaaaah", too, but with great relish.
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
If it offends somebody, it's guaranteed to be funny. how many post office workers do you think watch your show? now how many people do you think watch your show that have been angry at the post office once or twice? keep the bit.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5309 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
You could use this one

Is your name Bobbitt? No well take the knife......or was it sissors? going back to the loraine bobbitt situation.....I used to use that but people forgot about that event....

Post office still works.....
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
People must have forgot about that event because I have no idea what you're referring to lol
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5309 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Loraina bobit...she cut off her cheating husband thing/e and threw it out the car window....
LeoH
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of LeoH
Somebody is going to be offended, such is comedy. Keep the line.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5309 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Its my line....Smile can I use it too?
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2013-06-30 11:30, MagicMatt629 wrote:
I was out working my normal pitch yesterday, and ended with a signed bill to lemon. Nothing unusual there. Just before I cut open the lemon I hand the knife to a spectator to ensure it is real. I usually make a joke regarding the specstor working for a government agency and being disgruntled. Whatever agency happens to bein the news that week - EASY material! I've used TSA, GSA, IRS, postal service, etc etc. Yesterday I used the postal service. I finished the trick and concluded with the hat line. Afterwards a lady came up to me and said in a somewhat snotty tone, "I don't appreciate you picking on the postal service. I work for them and we are trying to change our reputation. It's people like you that aren't helping. I would appreciate it if you don't use that line again. It isn't respectful it but good show." I said, "miss I'm sorry and I make fun of everyone equally as you saw during the show. But thanks for watching and enjoying." She walked away. But hey, at least she liked the show! I don't have a crude or rude character during my show and just wanted to be polite afterwards. Should I or could I have handled this differently?

What typed of experiences like this have other people had and how have you delt with them? Gotta love people!! Smile


ZERO to worry about. The world is FILLED with these IDIOTS! They have ZERO control in their lives and this is how they get to have some. Say something about Detroit or any City and they use the same stupid complaint. BOO HOO!

Too bad this isn't a situation where she passes your show each day and you can hurl insults at her and the P.O.
MagicMatt629
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of MagicMatt629
Quote:
On 2013-07-04 11:50, Kozmo wrote:
Don't change anything....the line is fine. Ive used it 20,000 times....REALLY!
Theres going to be someone offended no matter what you do. It's the streets, if they don't like it they can walk.
Its rediculous to beleive that someone could really be offfended by such a lame ass line.

And that line is in a specific part of MY show and its important to the switch.... don't worry about it.....did she give you money? MOVE ON...



Actually Kozmo, you asked the right question! YES she did give me money!! It was only a buck or two but money nonetheless. I left this out of the original post to see what people would say. All my inclinations were confirmed. Definitely keeping the line. Especially since she b****** me out and still payed. I am sure it will happen again and with plenty other lines. OH WELL. Thanks all for the comments and advice.
#BelieveTheImpossible



www.facebook.com/MattThomasMagic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Interesting experience to share (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL