The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Mirko's Delightful Act (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
alextsui
View Profile
Regular user
Malaysia
154 Posts

Profile of alextsui
I just saw this really whimsical act done to whimsical music by Mirko. Even his name sounds like "miracle" when said slowly.

http://youtu.be/nihgiDEcAPI

Enjoy!
Kit Higginson
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Kit Higginson
An amazing, original and very MAGICAL act! Thanks for sharing this!
Bill Wilson
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
Thanks for posting. That was a great act. Original and would be great for any age group.
RJH
View Profile
Elite user
Finland
477 Posts

Profile of RJH
There have been several discussions of Mirko's act in the Café. His act is magical, but for me it is too simple. His multiplying bubble work is straight from bb set. It is magical act.

RJH
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5321 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Timing is great and his steals are perfect. The act is novel and entertaining. Not bad at all.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
alextsui
View Profile
Regular user
Malaysia
154 Posts

Profile of alextsui
Quote:
On 2013-06-30 14:48, RJH wrote:
There have been several discussions of Mirko's act in the Café. His act is magical, but for me it is too simple. His multiplying bubble work is straight from bb set. It is magical act.

RJH

RJH,

I think you are thinking too much like a magician. If a lay audience saw his act, they are not going to think "Hey, I know that- it's from a bubble billiard ball set." Often times there is great beauty in simplicity. Some of the greatest acts in the world are ridiculously simple when viewed from a technical viewpoint. I remember Rudy Coby had an act with just an extra set of legs under a lab coat.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22401 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Very creative material and a totally different act. Thanks for posting. What ingenuity!

That is no way was a simple act to put together, his moves and steals were right on, and his magic was actually magic.

Not just a bunch is moves that meant nothing but a logical magic effect each time.

Did I hear FISM from the announcer that introduced him?
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
That was wonderful! There is elegance in simplicity, and that is so very hard to achieve.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Daveandrews
View Profile
Special user
London, UK
723 Posts

Profile of Daveandrews
Fred Kaps well known stage act was simple in design, RJH.
Yu Ho Jin's act is simple in design, also.
I would echo what Michael Baker said. It is all too easy,mas a magician, to get dragged into complicated manipulations that mean nothing to a lay audience.
Mirko came 3rd in General Magic at FISM 2003, I believe.

Dave
http://[URL]www.partymagic.org.uk" target="_blank">www.partymagic.org.uk" target="_blank">http://[URL]www.partymagic.org.uk

Winner of KIDabra International's 'People's Choice Award'
Winner IBM British Ring Dittia Shield for manipulation
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
What a clown!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I wonder if his act was possibly inspired by Vito Lupo, who was the first that I saw to use the bouncing bubbles and smoke bubbles. The playful clown character also parallels Vito's mime character. I'm not saying that he copied anything, because Mirko's act is clearly unique, and I love it. But, I'd be curious to know if there was any influence or homage tucked away in there.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22401 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Hard to say at this point, but there are other that work with soap bubbles not of this country, like Finn Jon, who has produced some videos of his work and ideas.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Bill,

True. The Proust-Academie de Magie book from the European Stars of Magic, published in 1984 has some of Finn Jon's bubble magic included. Another, also by Proust is entirely about his bubble magic. It was published 4 years later. Both of those pre-date by a few years when I saw Vito do his lecture that included bubbles. That was sometime in the early 1990's.

Being that Vito did his mime act at FISM in Brussels in 1979 (and won) suggests that there may still be some connection. I would tend to give credit for original bubble work to Finn Jon, but I still see a bit of possible Vito Lupo influence in Mirko's act. Maybe that is just coincidence. I can only guess. Regardless, I hope to see more from this impressive magician! Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
frankstevensmagic
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of frankstevensmagic
This was great, the floating at the end looked awesome!

Frank
maylor
View Profile
Loyal user
england
231 Posts

Profile of maylor
And here's the inevitable copycat act: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUcZfGi6UuA
Bill Wilson
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
I remember seeing a vid of a guy on YouTube doing a copy of Lance Burton's dove & candle act. These guys put a lot of work into something I really can't appreciate. Unfortunately the people that do appreciate it are for the most part people unfamiliar with the original acts.
gchen99
View Profile
New user
Burnaby BC
34 Posts

Profile of gchen99
I think how good the magic show is not sololy depends on how complicated it is. It's how you "act" and present to the audiance.
As long as it's enjoyable and entertaining, it's a successful act.
I think I still have a lot to work on Smile
paulapaul
View Profile
Regular user
Nevada
173 Posts

Profile of paulapaul
How charming! And such clean magic. Really lovely. Thank you for posting, Alex.
paulapaul
View Profile
Regular user
Nevada
173 Posts

Profile of paulapaul
By the way, I am envious of those LARGE clear orbs. When I did my bubble act, only small clear billiards (with shell) were available. This was a determining factor in my giving up the act, the limited visibility. Pardon my being so out of touch, but where in the deuce do those lovely large “bubbles” come from? I have some clear acrylic juggling balls … too big for my fingers to embrace more than 1. I do a Jerry Andrus inspired routine with one ball and a silk … followed by some put-and-take type moves. But I have never seen the ball as used by this lovely act.
RJH
View Profile
Elite user
Finland
477 Posts

Profile of RJH
Those balls are clear silicon balls.

RJH
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Mirko's Delightful Act (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL