The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Do you believe in ghosts? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
It seems pretty clear that our brain structure dictates our thoughts and without that where do we reside?

Seeing someone you know who has brain damage or disease lets you know we are not the same person if our brain changes.

With out a brain???

Now you know why I'd rather not believe "The intellect driven Mary Mowder"

I'd rather believe in something more comforting so at times, I do.

The wishy washy Mary Mowder
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
I believe in spirits; Scotch, Bourbon, Vodka, Rum, Tequila, and so on.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2013-07-01 18:53, Bob1Dog wrote:
I believe in spirits; Scotch, Bourbon, Vodka, Rum, Tequila, and so on.

I'm partial to Brandy.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16230 Posts

Profile of tommy
It seems pretty clear that our Governments dictate our thoughts because we are brainless. I wonder if there is a Ghost Government that spies on ghosts.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
R.S.
View Profile
Loyal user
CT one day I'll have
201 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On 2013-07-01 18:48, Mary Mowder wrote:
It seems pretty clear that our brain structure dictates our thoughts and without that where do we reside?

Seeing someone you know who has brain damage or disease lets you know we are not the same person if our brain changes.

With out a brain???

Exactly Mary.

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16230 Posts

Profile of tommy
Bloody Mary Bloody Mary Bloody Mary
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Circusman
View Profile
Special user
Kent, England.
571 Posts

Profile of Circusman
Yes. I've had several encounters with both LIVING and dead ghost's. True.
R.S.
View Profile
Loyal user
CT one day I'll have
201 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On 2013-07-02 04:22, Circusman wrote:
Yes. I've had several encounters with both LIVING and dead ghost's. True.

Circusman,

Care to explain?

Ron
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I don't, but I have been told some chilling things by people I trust and who themselves do not believe in ghosts. I myself have had first hand encounters that sent chills through me then and when I think of them.

I have felt like Wilbur Grey ( Lou Costello ): "I Saw What I Saw When I Saw It".

But, ghosts are as believable as an ellipsoid shape, teaming with life, spinning in outer space.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16230 Posts

Profile of tommy
Zombies?

Tommy
Circusman
View Profile
Special user
Kent, England.
571 Posts

Profile of Circusman
Sure Ron. but be patient, it's a bit lengthy to explain all, so I will give just a few examples.

In a bar where I had been booked, myself and the owner and some others were having a drink after the place had been locked up.
I went to the toilet, and was standing at the urinal when an elderly man, wearing a cap, came in and stood at the urinal, second one away from mines.
I hadn't heard him enter, so I was slightly startled when he appeared, even more startled when he called me by name as I didn't know him.
He then said "You know Bobby, you deserve much more than what you're getting".
Looking down, I laughed. Then I turned to look at him - and there was no one there.
Thinking he had went out without me hearing him, I went back to the bar, but I couldn't see him.
I asked the owner and his wife if they had unlocked the door to let anyone out, they said "No".
When I explained what happened, the owners wife laughed and said "So you've seen him too ?"
It seems several people had seen him over the years.

At another bar in a different town, the door to enter the toilet had a spring hinge which made it very slow to close. I knew that because I'd been in this bar several times.
Standing at the bar with a friend, I decided to go to the toilet.
It was mid-afternoon on a bright sunny day.
As I made my way to the door I saw a blue shape go inside. When I got to the entrance I realised that the door was fully closed. I knew this couldn't be, but just thought that the owner had put a new spring hinge on the door to make it close faster. But when I went inside, expecting to see someone, there was no one there.
Back at the bar I was told about a 'Blue Lady' who had appeared a number of times. I didn't know about this before, although I did know that, years ago, condemned prisoners where kept in the cellar, where an underground passageway went to the top of the square outside. The prisoners were marched through this to avoid crowds outside. On exit they faced a gallows where they were hung. The passageway still exists, but has been filled with rubble, with the entrance bricked over.

When my wife and I moved to another house, there was an absolutely countless number of incidents happened in that house. Lights (on dimmer switches) would get turned full on in the middle of the night. Something would pull at my hand when I was washing. My wife came into the living room to ask why I pulled her dress in the kitchen. A picture lifted off the wall and was thrown across the room and smashed as we were watching t.v. Twice I watched the duvet covering us being pressed gently down over my arm on several places. Old style music-box type music played in the centre of the living room but, move five feet in any direction, and it could not be heard.

It was in this house that one of the most fascinating, but scary, events took place.

I set up the ladders and pushed the loft hatch back. As I started to climb the ladder, the head and shoulders of a boy, of late teens age, looked out of the hatch. I got an extremely clear view of his features. He was thin faced, very pale skin and dark hair.
I shouted to my wife that there was someone in the loft. I climbed into the loft as fast as I could. I searched all around for this 'burglar' but there was no one there.

Now here's the weird bit.

Due to a family feud, I had not seen my brother-in-law for 11 years. One of his kid's was called 'John'
I had last saw John when I dived into a freezing river to save him after he had fallen in and was being swept away. He was six years old at the time.
11 years later my brother-in-law decided to visit us, and I was just hoping they would not come to any harm given our experiences in the house.

Sure enough, they arrived.
I was sitting in the living room whilst my wife answered the door.

I think my heart nearly stopped when his son, John, (now 17 years old) walked in.
HE WAS THE ONE I SAW AT THE LOFT OPENING ! There is NO doubt - IT WAS HIM !

Is this a case of a LIVING ghost ???

On research, I did find an entry in a book which describes that this can happen.

Next day, my brother-in-law spoke about a black and white cat in the bedroom. We never had a black and white cat. Nor, to this day, does he know any history of the house or the loft incident.
But, perhaps, even stranger is the fact that after he and his son left to go home, we never had another incident of any sort in the house. However, about two weeks later, he phoned to say that there was a lot of funny things happening in his house.

We never told him anything. Did the 'Ghost' go back home with him ?

On my life, I swear that what you have read is 1000% TRUE !

Bobby.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Here's the thing Bobby...

The one thing that ties all those incidents together is....

You.

I don't know how but you, and people like you, experience these things but not others.

I'm quite sure there is a perfectly logical scientific explanation to it all, its just that we can never really research it properly, can we? Smile

Hope everything is going well nowadays with you and yours.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Circusman
View Profile
Special user
Kent, England.
571 Posts

Profile of Circusman
Thanks Pakar. I hope everything is good for you too !

In my family (who are all dead now) I can only remember being told of one incident along those lines.
During the war, my Uncle Tommy (who I never knew) was posted to Northern Scotland.
My mother woke up one night and 'saw' Tommy standing at the bottom of the bed.
She cried, and begged my Dad to travel up north.
When he arrived there, he found that Tommy had died from pneumonia - during the night.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-07-02 09:46, Pakar Ilusi wrote:

I don't know how but you, and people like you, experience these things but not others.

Stephen King called it The Shining.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
In my family they call it fey.

-Mary Mowder
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2013-07-02 17:30, Mary Mowder wrote:

-Mary Mowder

Yes! Thanks for reminding me. That's what my grandmother called it as well.

Bob
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16230 Posts

Profile of tommy
There are ghost citizens.  People who have dropped out the system etcetera. There are a lot of ghost citizens now and they’re going to hunt those ghost citizens because they are losing a lot of money from them, in tax.  Ghosts on the run like. They call them ghosts here, the officials I mean. They go around bars and so on asking, have you got any ghosts working here?

Tommy
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2013-07-02 17:35, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-07-02 17:30, Mary Mowder wrote:

-Mary Mowder

Yes! Thanks for reminding me. That's what my grandmother called it as well.

Bob

I call it, "Meh!" Smile
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-07-02 11:33, Circusman wrote:
Thanks Pakar. I hope everything is good for you too !

In my family (who are all dead now) I can only remember being told of one incident along those lines.
During the war, my Uncle Tommy (who I never knew) was posted to Northern Scotland.
My mother woke up one night and 'saw' Tommy standing at the bottom of the bed.
She cried, and begged my Dad to travel up north.
When he arrived there, he found that Tommy had died from pneumonia - during the night.

Wow, that's so sad. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
R.S.
View Profile
Loyal user
CT one day I'll have
201 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Circusman,

Hmmm... bars, drinks, and ghosts? I think I see a connection there. Smile

As for the house incidents, all we have is your personal anecdotes to go on. Moreover, as Richard Feynman said, "the first rule is not to fool yourself... and you are the easiest person to fool." That's no flip statement. Many studies have shown how we misinterpret and misperceive the world around us - despite our strong convictions to the contrary.

Even if we grant that "ghosts" are real, we have to ask why would they choose to be pranksters from beyond? What purpose is served by occasionally flipping a light switch or knocking a picture off the wall? Have they nothing better to do? It's all rather silly. And if they can manifest themselves like that, then why not go all the way and do something like, I don't know, write a meaningful non-ambiguous message on a blackboard on demand and in full sight of film crews, skeptics, investigators, etc.? But then again, how can something non-material interact with the material world? In order for solid objects to be manipulated, an actual physical force (and not an ethereal "nothingness") must act upon it.

So not only are surviving personalities/essences of dead people improbable, but their nonsensical mischievous activities from beyond multiply that improbability significantly. I think it's safe to say that "ghosts" are nothing more than vivid human imaginations coupled with our cognitive flaws.

Ron
:)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Do you believe in ghosts? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL