The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I hate when that happens... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5021 Posts

Profile of landmark
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/07/01/ai......enitals/

Well he could always run for mayor of NYC, as fellow photographer Anthony Weiner is doing (he's presently the front-runner).
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Peggy Noonan had a thoughtful column on how Weiner and Spitzer might honorably follow the example of the late John Profumo.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5021 Posts

Profile of landmark
Have to be a subscriber. What happened to Profumo after his scandal? I don't recall.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Sorry about that. You can try googling "profumo noonan spitzer" and sometimes google will link to the article, and you can get it without being a subscriber. But the story, from the column, is thus:

Quote:
Because Profumo believed in remorse of conscience—because he actually had a conscience—he could absorb what happened and let it change him however it would. In a way what he believed in was reality. He'd done something terrible—to his country, to his friends, to strangers who had to explain the headlines about him to their children.

He never knew political power again. He never asked for it. He did something altogether more confounding.

He did the hardest thing for a political figure. He really went away. He went to a place that helped the poor, a rundown settlement house called Toynbee Hall in the East End of London. There he did social work—actually the scut work of social work, washing dishes and cleaning toilets. He visited prisons for the criminally insane, helped with housing for the poor and worker education.

And it wasn't for show, wasn't a step on the way to political redemption. He worked at Toynbee for 40 years.

He didn't give interviews, never wrote a book, didn't go on TV. Alistair Horne: "Profumo . . . spent the rest of his life admirably dedicated to valuable good works, most loyally supported by his wife. At regular intervals, some journalist writing 'in the public interest' would rake up the old story to plague the ruined man and cause him renewed suffering. His haunted, unsmiling face was a living epitaph to the 'Swinging Sixties.'"

In November 2003, to mark the 40th anniversary of his work, Profumo gave an interview to an old friend. "Jack," said W.F. Deedes, "what have you learnt from this place?" After a pause for thought, Profumo said: "Humility."

He was president of Toynbee by then, respected, but nothing quite said what needed saying like what happened at Margaret Thatcher's 70th birthday party, in 1995. To show their countrymen what he'd done—and what they thought of what he'd done—they invited him, walked him through, and put him in a particular place. They seated him next to the queen. People wonder about the purpose of establishments. That is the purpose of establishments.

When he died in 2006, at 91, the reliably ironic Daily Telegraph wore its heart on its sleeve. "No one in public life ever did more to atone for his sins; no one behaved with more silent dignity as his name was repeatedly dragged through the mud; and few ended their lives as loved and revered by those who knew him."

The newspaper headlines and stories about Profumo Affair fascinated me in my childhood, though of course I did not understand it. The names of Profumo, Mandy Rice-Davies, Christine Keeler, and Yevgeny Ivanov always seemed glamorous to me. And of course when years later I learned about how Profumo had conducted the rest of his life, I was deeply moved, and the story still brings tears to my eyes.

The fact that his apotheosis, if you will, was recognized to all, simply by the fact of seating him at dinner, next to the Sovereign, is I think extremely touching and poignant.
foreva.infiniti
View Profile
Regular user
6 Posts a + a 6 Posts =
116 Posts

Profile of foreva.infiniti
Waist down? Probably wasnt him then.
Colors are Foreva. Numbers are Infinite. 4 every number there's a color. HEY! Eternity! Lets smoke a beer and drink some loud. But wait! I heard you was a six a plus a 6 ahhhh.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I hate when that happens... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL