The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Old sponge ball item new again! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
726 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
I'm sure I'm not the only one here who often looks at a prop, and says this kinda looks like something else, or hey! I'll bet it'd be neat if I.... and so on, but never uses the idea. I figured I'd share one of mine and maybe you can get something from it, or even share your own ideas like this.

Here's mine: I was looking at an old sponge hotdog chain, you know the long red tube of sponge with thread tied in sections that "looks" like a chain of connected hotdogs? I bought it on an impulse buy at a magic shop (we are all guilty of this, don't judge me!) and never used it. Well today I was going through some old magic stuff, came across this, and the thread had come off one of the sections. I cut the rest off too, and let it sit overnight.

Now, it looks like one long stretched out sponge ball! Maybe a different ending to a sponge routine, where you have one ball left and stretch it out? I did this for the wife and she laughed, (which is rare, in magic, as you know) because she thought it was going to end with a big one or something.

Anyway, just thought it was neat to see an old prop rarely used have a new concept. Anyone else every do this, or care to share their ideas?
plink
View Profile
Special user
661 Posts

Profile of plink
Always used mine in a Rabbit Wringer. Rubber pig to sausage with piles of putrid pig puns.
Glenn Watson
View Profile
Special user
781 Posts

Profile of Glenn Watson
Tnanks for sharing. I like it. I guess if you start with a long one you could"split" it into 2 and restore it at the end.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Johnny Thompson ends up his Giant nutshell routine with a hamburger... Not very different from your idea.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
RicoGood
View Profile
Regular user
The devil told me
135 Posts

Profile of RicoGood
No, your are not the only one, who bought something that looks like .... a magician prop.
Thanks for sharing! Its a funny idea.
I will give this a try in my next performance. But first I must buy a hotdog chain;-)

RG
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
726 Posts

Lawrence, I don't produce it as a hot dog chain, I took the thread off, and produce it as if I had take the last sponge and stretched it to become 4 feet long. Stretching a sponge ball to 4 ft is a lot different than producing a hamburger.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
I concur, but some minds tend to diverge and it's part of the creative process with people like me ... and you apprently (and please receive this as a compliment)
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
726 Posts

Ha, I understand what you mean now Lawrence O, and thank you.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I would have it secretly compressed in my hand, pick up a regular sponge ball and "blow it up" like an animal balloon.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
663 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
I like it! I will have to go get that from the box in the closet and try it out.

What about making the switch with the balls you put in their hands and ask the spectator to slowly pull one ball from between their fingers? Smile
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
I know I'm a weiner- I have that sponge hot dog chain thing. Here is how I used mine.
I have a Wolf's Sponge Wand and in my routine, I produce sponge balls from everywhere. I eat some, put others in my pocket. Finally, I get my sponge load (hot dogs) and switch the ball for the hot dogs (just showing a bit of one of the hot dog- appears to be the ball). I then stretch it out. Kids go nuts.
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1171 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Now, if only you could find a matching bun to produce a four long hot dog.
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
895 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
Let me open this up with a related question: Where can I find novelty sponge items like a potato? Thanks all.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Old sponge ball item new again! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL