The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » US military blocks access to The Guardian website for troops around the world (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
And how do you know how they are being treated? Or are you simply speculating?

As to the penny... no, but if you squint your eyes you may see your credibility waning.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Oh. Who's being naive, Kay?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
There there... no more big thoughts for you today... you've done enough.

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
I don't think the troops would like you calling them rabbits.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Quote:
On 2013-07-02 16:35, tommy wrote:
I don't think the troops would like you calling them rabbits.

It's like your not even trying anymore...
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
The troops are trying very hard, why are you being so rude to them?

What's the matter don't you like your own medicine?

Tommy
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On 2013-07-02 13:41, tommy wrote:
They realized that The Guardian was the only news site telling the truth
Yeah, right!
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2013-07-02 14:26, Salguod Nairb wrote:

If you listen carefully you will hear the military not complaining....

That's so weird. Public complaints about the policies of their superiors is such a career-enhancing medium for change in the military.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Did that rabbit just read the Gaudian?

Tommy
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
The Grauniad [sic] has some good writers, but has a tendency to pontificate. It is the unlikely broadsheet [no longer technically true] equivalent to the Daily Mail, in terms of pompous preaching. All the more unlikely as they occupy opposite ends of the political spectrum.

Despite my own left-wing sympathies, I tend to read The Times, as it is a bit more entertaining. For actual information? Look to as many sources as possible, would be my advice. And then take a large pinch of salt, with a good dose of common sense.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Hope you have got your rabbit disaster policy.

Tommy
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Smile
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2013-07-02 17:30, tomsk192 wrote:

Despite my own left-wing sympathies, I tend to read The Times, as it is a bit more entertaining. For actual information? Look to as many sources as possible, would be my advice. And then take a large pinch of salt, with a good dose of common sense.

Obviously a foreigner! Here's how we do things in the US of A: Pick a source that most matches your preconceived notions, and believe everything you see or hear on/in it.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Smile
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
The troops who are supposedly out there to win the foreigners over. Well, they’re not foreigners. They live there.  They’re not insurgents neither; they’re resistance movements.  But anyway, the troops that are supposedly out there to win the foreigners over, are not allowed to read the very newspaper that has been exposing the lies their government have been telling them about the war. If any one should read the the Gaussian and know the truth, it is the troops. After all they the the ones doing the fighting. The public can read all about it, so why can't the troops? It's not as though their government have banned an odd article but have banned the whole newspaper. Propaganda is a form of communication aimed towards influencing the attitude of the community toward some cause or position by presenting only one side of the story etcetera. How many other things will they ban by the same token? First Poland next the Magic Café.

Tommy
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
I'd probably send them the New Statesman, Tommy, although I wouldn't want them to be preached to death, along with the Economist and The Financial Times.

As I'm sure you know, squaddies are quite capable of adding two to two when they want to.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
They are not allowed to use their government computers to access those sites, but they can access them with their personal computers. Just like if you are using school computers, or work computers there are some sites blocked.

There is nothing to stop them from going to a site once off duty. However they do have access to sites such as this.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Good, for a moment there I thought they had been entirely chained up in "Plato's Cave." 

Tommy
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
As a 20+ year military member I can tell you first hand we're all use to limited access on government computers. Though we were surprised some time back tat some bases allow access to Facebook. We deal with it no use to complain. Won't change, peg you as a troublemaker and, as mentioned, if we have a burning desire to read The Guardian, we'll do it at home.

Regarding the rest of the ranting in here..,US military served the as the discretion of elected officials. We are not mindless servants who are cannon fodder. We are the best trained, best equipped fighting force in the history if the world. And we live by the oathes we take to support and defend theConstitution. As I've heard numerous times in the service "We fight for democracy, but we ain't one." This was usually followed by an order to get back to scrubbing a latrine.

So like so many other threads we military folk will read it, chuckle a bit and smile, then go back to providing the blanket of freedom for all to enjoy...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
I've always heard "We are the defenders of Democracy; not the practitioners."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » US military blocks access to The Guardian website for troops around the world (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL