The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » 76th Abbott Get Together Aug 7,8,9,10 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Profile of magicgettogether
The 76th Magic Get Together takes place Aug 7-10 in the Magic Capital of the World, Colon MI and features an outstanding lineup of entertainers and magical events. For more information visit http://www.magicgettogether.com (includes thousands of pictures of past Get Together and the most up to date info on this one) or download our free 500 page guide to the Get Together, the 2013 Abbott Compendium at http://www.magicgettogether.com/compendium.pdf (20 meg). The schedule is below.

WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 7th 2013
9:00AM ABBOTT'S COLON GOLF CLASSIC (optional) with Al the Only
9:00AM ABBOTT'S REGISTRATION OPENS at the Abbott Plant
10:00AM ABBOTT'S DEALERS ROOM OPENS at Elementary School
11:00AM SUPER SHOWROOM SPECIALS BEGINS at Elementary School
12:00PM COLON BUSKING EXPERIENCE - outside M&M Grill with Magician Rick Lansdale
1:00PM COLON HISTORICAL MUSEUM OPEN TILL 4PM
1:00PM LECTURE - Geoff Williams
1:30PM MAGIC SHOW at Abbott Plant with BJ Mallen or Gordon Miller
3:00PM LECTURE - Scott Alexander & Puck - "Modernizing The Classics" at the High School
3:00PM MAGIC SHOW at Abbott Plant with BJ Mallen or Gordon Miller
8:00PM ABBOTT'S STAGE SHOW at the High School
Wednesday Evening Performers - Gordon Miller MC, Reed Sisters, Andy Dallas, Boris Wild, and John Bundy & Morgan
10:00PM ABBOTT'S DEALERS ROOM OPENS at Elementary School after show

THURSDAY, AUGUST 8th 2013
9:00AM REGISTRATION OPENS at the Abbott Plant
10:00AM LECTURE - Jeff McBride at the High School
11:00AM VENT-O-RAMA with George Schindler at the Abbott Plant
12:00PM COLON BUSKING EXPERIENCE - outside American Legion with Magician John Sturk
1:00PM LECTURE - Fielding West "Comedy Magic Lecture" at the High School
2:30PM (after lecture) DEALERS ON PARADE at Elementary School
3:45PM FAMOUS MAGICIANS GRAVEYARD TOUR ushered by Al the Only
Thursday Evening Performers - Artie Kidwell MC, Ken Groves, Jamahl Keyes, Doc Swan, and Clive & Tracy Allen

FRIDAY, AUGUST 9th 2013
9:00AM MAGIC MINISTERS SESSION at the Methodist Church
9:00AM COLON ARTS & CRAFT FAIR Until 4:00PM
10:00AM ABBOTT'S STAGE TALENT CONTEST at the High School
11:00AM COLON BUSKING EXPERIENCE - outside Dawn & Phils with Magician John Sturk
12:00PM COLON BUSKING EXPERIENCE - outside Village Market with Magician Dynamike
1:00PM LECTURE - Boris Wild "Closeup Lecture" - at the High School
2:30PM ABBOTT'S CLOSEUP SHOW at the High School -
Closeup Performers - Geoff Williams, Christian & Katalina, Boris Wild
3:30PM JEFF McBride SUPER SESSION with Jeff McBride (Not included in Registration)
4:30PM COLON BUSKING EXPERIENCE - outside Hardware Store with Magician Joe Bennett
5:30PM COLON BUSKING EXPERIENCE - outside Lutheran Church with Magician Trino
Friday Evening Performers - Denny Haney MC, Magic of Puck, Christian & Katalina, and Scott Alexander
9:45PM ABBOTT'S FIREWORK SHOW outside High School after show
10:30PM TALENT CONTEST AWARDS at Elementary School after show

SATURDAY, AUGUST 10TH 2013
9:00AM COLON ARTS & CRAFT FAIR until 4:00PM
9:30AM LECTURE - Denny Haney "Egg Bag" at the High School
10:00AM COLON BUSKING EXPERIENCE - at Craft Fair with Magician Dynamike
11:30AM MAGIC SHOW at Abbott Plant with BJ Mallen or Gordon Miller
11:30AM COLON BUSKING EXPERIENCE - outside Masonic Lodge with Magician Joe Bennett
2:00PM BENEFIT MATINEE - A TASTE OF CHICAGO MAGIC - at High School
Matinee Performers - Mark Holstein MC, Trent James, Jeanette Andrews, Joe Diamond, John Sturk, Magic of Chezaday, & Talent Contest Winner
2:30PM MAGIC SHOW at Abbott Plant with BJ Mallen or Gordon Miller
3:00PM COLON BUSKING EXPERIENCE - outside Colon Historical Museum with Magician Rick Lansdale
4:00PM COLON BUSKING EXPERIENCE - outside Five Star Pizza with Magician Trino
8:00 PM ABBOTT'S STAGE SHOW at High School
Saturday Evening Performers - Geoff Williams MC, Trent James, Fielding West, and Jeff McBride
10:00 PM DEALERS ROOM OPENS at Elementary School after show
10:30 PM ABBOTT PERFORMER AWARDS at Elementary School after show
80 years in the making - Magic Get Together
Visit Abbotts Magic Online - Abbott Magic
BJ Mallen
View Profile
New user
Colon, MI
37 Posts

Profile of BJ Mallen
I can't believe it is that time of year already! Looking forward to seeing everybody in a couple weeks.
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Good News, there is NO limit to the number of students who can participate in the Jeff McBride Super Session - all ages and skill levels welcome

http://www.abbottmagic.com/The-Jeff-McBr......sion.htm
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Curly's will have their annual closeup contest on Thursday (Aug 8) after the Thursday show (around 10:30 or 11PM) It will take place in a temporary facility between the hardware store and Sterlini's Magic store. They will have soda pop, water, and hotdogs for sale.

Friday and Saturday (Aug 9 & 10) Curly's will be serving beer (along with the pop,water, and hotdogs) from Noon till 8 pm.
MistressOfCeremonies
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of MistressOfCeremonies
Wow Saturday will be two of summers best events. The get together and the US12 garage sale (also on August 10). Now it feels more like summer.
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

BJ Mallen on an Interview about the Get Together Aug 7-10 performs the Invisible Deck.

http://youtu.be/aCN_I8tVDVI
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1471 Posts

Profile of Scott Alexander
My lecture with Puck starts and ends with song and dance numbers...don't miss it!
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

www.scottalexander.bigcartel.com

Website

www.scottalexandermagic.com
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2879 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Like this past weekend, the weather for Abbott's predicted this week is spectacular. Mid-Seventies, no rain, ideal conditions. Looking forward to being there!
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

I was helping set up the dealers room and Greg was saying how he bought all these fans because of the heat last year and probably won't get to use them because of the nice weather.

I put some pics up at Abbotts facebook page ( https://www.facebook.com/AbbottMagic ) of the dealers room being setup, its about half done but we should be ready for Wednesday.
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Just finished updating http://www.magicgettogether.com and could not help but notice the countdown at the front page was at 1 (actually says 1 days, poor grammar). It seems like just yesterday when it said 364 days (due to the way the dates fell this year it has already been over a year since the last Get Together). Just a couple reminders about tomorrow.

- Tomorrow Al the Only is hosting the Colon Golf Tournament for those who love golf - the golfers always have a blast doing this, unfortunately I don't golf (but I see the pictures every year so I know they have fun) - if you want more details visit http://www.magicgettogether.com/golf2.html .

- The showroom special is tomorrow (dealers room opens at 10am at the elementary school), A Wednesday only coupon will be in your full registration pkg to help make sure the showroom special is that much more special. I set up the book display and the discounted books (minor imperfections on these books prevent us from selling them at retail so we sell them at wholesale) are in great condition, you can find more info and price lists at http://www.magicgettogether.com/specialevents.html#special (there is a $1 magic book table as well but those are different books)

- The dealers room is completely open to the public this year. In the past it was only open to the public after the shows. The idea was that during the day it can get too warm in the dealers room so we limited it to registration only, this year is much cooler so we should be fine opening it to the public all day.

- Joe Bennett will be performing as part of the Colon Busking Experience outside the M&M grill at noon on Wednesday. This is a free event (you can see the schedule for the buskers at http://www.magicgettogether.com/speciale......perience ). There are also two Magic shops in this location (Fab Magic and Sterlini Magic) so be sure to visit them as well, each is unique and each sells their own brand of magic not found anywhere else.

- At 1pm Geoff williams lectures, he has won over two dozen magic and comedy awards, in both stage and close-up.

- Try to plan a stop at the Colon Historical Museume, they open from 1 - 4 pm and have a great and informative magic exhibit (good photo ops)

- Either Gordon Miller or BJ Mallen will be performing at Abbotts Magic Plant (not the dealers room) at 1:30. These shows are $5 per person and very fun.

- Scott Alexander and Puck will be doing a lecture on Modernizing the Classics at 3pm. Both of these performers were on America's Got Talent as BJ Mallen mentioned on Channel 3's newscast the other day.

- For our tourist visitors (and anyone else) there is another $5 magic show at the Abbott plant at 3pm

- The evening show begins at 8pm (doors open at 7:30) featuring Gordon Miller MC, Reed Sisters, Andy Dallas, Boris Wild, and John Bundy & Morgan . Tickets and Registration info can be found at http://www.magicgettogether.com/tickets.html .

- Dealers room is open after the show every night and all are welcome.

Hope everyone has fun
hail_to_the_victors
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of hail_to_the_victors
Hi! I would love to come over from Ann Arbor for the 4 days, but I am not familiar with the area. Is there a really cheap place to stay? I love close-up magic. Are there two days of the convention that would be better for me to come if I can't come for all 4? I'm broke. lol
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

I would think Friday would be the best day for closeup, with a closeup show and Boris Wild's closeup lecture. The cost for Friday is $90.00

There also is the Jeff McBride Super Session and that cost is $125.00, it also is Friday. Schedule is at http://www.magicgettogether.com/schedule.html

If I wanted to visit and spend as little (or nothing) as possible I would come out either Friday or Saturday. There is a pavilion if you wanted to bring a cooler and lunch. There will be 4 buskers performing each day as part of the Colon Busking experience so those are free (I believe Fab has a busker on Friday as well). The Craft show will be going on both days which is fun, Abbotts dealers room has no charge so you can spend time there, as well as Sterlini & Fab magic shops, the Colon Historical Museum has a magic display and also is open both days.

Come out and meet us, you'll make friends, you will have a great time even without money. Great photo ops

For info on lodging you can check out http://www.magicgettogether.com/lodging.html, I believe there is inexpensive camping as well.
hail_to_the_victors
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of hail_to_the_victors
I decided to come for the full 4 days! I just got my tickets online. See you all in the morning!
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2879 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Go Blue! - M class of 1975
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Rain knocked out the Golf Tournament but after that it was clear skies. Lots of activity today and so much more for tomorrow. I posted some pics from the first few hours of the Get Together, you can see them at the links below.
http://topsmag.com/Newest_Tops/?p=7644
https://www.facebook.com/AbbottMagic

I spoke with John Sterlini (Sterlini Magic) and Krag Ryal (Fab Magic) - John's shop looks great, I knew he was putting in hours of work but I never thought he was this far along - lots of atmosphere and a good selection of magic. Krag has a wonderful event going on at Fab tomorrow (Aug 8) with 100 cupcakes to help celebrate June Horowitz's 100th birthday between 3 and 5 pm. June's star on the Walk of Fame will be uncovered tomorrow as well (I believe during this time frame but not sure the actual time).

Jeff McBride lectures tomorrow in the morning, Fielding West in the afternoon, along with Vent O Rama, Al the Only's graveyard tour, Curly's Closeup Contest (after the evening show), John Sturk busking, and.... well just so I don't miss anything I am posting an updated schedule of Thursday's events below.

THURSDAY AUG 8TH SCHEDULE
10:00AM LECTURE - Jeff McBride at the High School
11:00AM VENT-O-RAMA with George Schindler at the Abbott Plant
12:00PM COLON BUSKING EXPERIENCE - outside American Legion with Magician John Sturk
1:00PM LECTURE - Fielding West "Comedy Magic Lecture" at the High School
2:30PM (after lecture) DEALERS ON PARADE at Elementary School
3:00 - 5:00PM JUNE HOROWITZ BIRTHDAY PARTY at Fab Magic
3:45PM FAMOUS MAGICIANS GRAVEYARD TOUR ushered by Al the Only
8:00PM ABBOTT'S STAGE SHOW at the High School (view seating chart)
Thursday Evening Performers - Artie Kidwell MC, Ken Groves, Jamahl Keyes, Doc Swan, and Clive & Tracy Allen
10:45PM CURLY'S CLOSEUP CONTEST (between Sterlini's and Hardware Store) after show

Have Fun - "Isn't fun the best thing to have?" (quote from Arthur)
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Everyone withing a hundred miles of Colon who likes magic or has a family member who likes magic I would suggest a drive to the Magic Capital for Friday and/or Saturday. Plenty of free stuff with at least 4 busking shows each day, a craft fair, street vendors, Colon Historical Museum, 3 magic shops plus a dealers room, and even a fireworks show Friday evening.

This is the longest running festival of any sort in St Joseph County for a reason, pop in and say hi
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2879 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
And, the weather for the rest of the Get-Together is going to be outstanding! Clear, dry, and not too hot- just right! I saw Jeff McBride in the elementary school showroom yesterday afternoon, and of course, he autographed my 2013 Abbott's Get-Together color poster for me (which you can purchase there for only $3.00).
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

You can see some new pics at http://www.magicgettogether.com/ , just scroll down a bit when you reach the page.

Last day is today
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20522 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Thank you! This year I could not come because I am not driving that far yet by myself since the heart attack. Next year I should be back.

It looks like you are having great weather too!

Bob
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Big thanks to all who made the 77th Get Together a great success. The dates for next years Get Together are Aug 6-9. This will also mark Abbotts 80th birthday (founded in 1934) so we will be doing something really special for that.

The counter at http://www.magicgettogether.com/ has been reset and currently reads "360 days". More than ever I look forward to next year when that silly javascript counter says "1 days" again, bad grammar and all.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » 76th Abbott Get Together Aug 7,8,9,10 (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL