The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » My Newest Illusion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
DavidThomas
View Profile
Loyal user
231 Posts

Profile of DavidThomas
Hi Pete, I work mainly doing corporate general session work. My home base is OKC where I produce various shows for a regional theme park. We have a beautiful theater which allows me produce and perform in a new Illusion show each season. I hate to date myself, but I have been there continuously since 1978.
David Thomas
TheWorldofMagic.com
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3629 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
What a great idea. Loved it!

Jim
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
I like it. Well done.
Sean Lough
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC
213 Posts

Profile of Sean Lough
Nicely done. I'm fine with the music as well. My only qualm is when the box is lifted in the air, it seems to have little to no weight. Probably not something an audience would perceive, but caught my eye. Congrats again.

S
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Maybe it's been so long since Copperfield performed "Cocoon" that people will forget it was his work ...

As a general rule: if the two illusions can't be performed in the same show, then they are too similar.

Steve
tophatevents
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of tophatevents
I too find it very similar to Copperfieldd's Coccoon,
but since I really love Coccoon, I don't mind.
Very nice and a good way to avoid the use of tw*** by letting the box descent back onto the platform.
Good job
DavidThomas
View Profile
Loyal user
231 Posts

Profile of DavidThomas
Chezaday are you saying that Copperfield took the Cocoon illusion from Kirby Van Burch. Kirby was performing the Aerial Metamorphosis long before Cocoon?
David Thomas
TheWorldofMagic.com
David Nathan Magic
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of David Nathan Magic
Great illusion!!
music's not my taste, but the illusion is great!!!

(BA.....?)
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
This is an excellent performance of a great illusion. I am not familiar with Mr. Copperfield's "Cocoon," but this illusion did remind me of the "Substitution Trunk Mystery" in Tarbell, Volume 6. However, your suspension of the trunk in your illusion makes the effect significantly stronger than that one.
DavidThomas
View Profile
Loyal user
231 Posts

Profile of DavidThomas
Woland, Thank you. Regarding the history of this illusion as I understand it. All please correct me if I am wrong:

1) Houdini originally developed the illusion known as Metamorphosis
2) Kirby Van Burch created the Aerial exchange version
3) Ken Whitaker created a version very similar to Kirby (Base method) with a pole suspending the illusion instead of rigging
4) Copperfield performed his version of this classic effect called Cocoon. The same effect as Kirby's but not with a trunk
5) My illusion was originally the Ken Whitaker method with the pole, but this year (because of reliability) I changed to the rigging method

Bottom line all the above are the same effect to a lay audience. Get in a box, a cocoon, could even be a airplane, ect and an instant exchange happens with your assistant. The difference is subtle nuances that make the performance style different.
David Thomas
TheWorldofMagic.com
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Thank you for that excellent summary, Mr. Thomas. That you very well understand this illusion is evident from your compelling realization.
MagicalMotivator
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of MagicalMotivator
Although Houdini has been typically credited with it, I believe it was John Nevil Maskelyne who actually invented the Meta / Sub Trunk.

Rick
Rick Rossini The Magical Motivator
www.rossinimagic.com
www.magicalmotivator.com
DavidThomas
View Profile
Loyal user
231 Posts

Profile of DavidThomas
Rick, Great point...something I was unaware of. Many times we in the magic business don't know and understand our history and where our "magic" came from. Thanks!!
David Thomas
TheWorldofMagic.com
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
John Nevil used it in one of his sketches.

B
TaylorReed
View Profile
Special user
Branson, MO
743 Posts

Profile of TaylorReed
Great job David..
You have been doing this since around 1999 I believe... Quite a while..

This is just the new an improved version with your wife and the rigging..

I love the music.. As magicians we have to stop with the old music that puts people to sleep and go with what people of today love..

Great job.

That is one of the things that people talk the most about with my new show is all the modern music.
I think people are done with the 70's style music with no singing..

Taylor
www.taylorreed.com
www.usedmagicillusions.com
taylor@taylorreed.com
(979)482-0714
See: The Magic and Comedy of Taylor Reed, Live in Branson, Mo
DavidThomas
View Profile
Loyal user
231 Posts

Profile of DavidThomas
Thanks Taylor for the nice comments...Yes this was originally using the Ken Whitaker method traveling up a pole. I found it not as reliable as I wanted so I changed over to the rigging method.

I totally agree about music. There are times when music cuts are timeless, but as a whole using current music brings the show up to a new level. My kids and their friends kept hounding me about the 80's and 90's music we as illusionists seem to be stuck in the time warp. The video I posted was early on and now doing it 2 times a day, it has come a long way with other nuances.

Also with costumes, with the exception of this illusion, I am now just wearing jeans, nice shirt and a jacket. This was a hard transition for me, (yes, I was stuck in the 90's) as I love "show costumes", but it taken my show up to the next level also.

Once again love your show...everyone go see it in Branson!
David Thomas
TheWorldofMagic.com
aboycemagic
View Profile
Regular user
New York
153 Posts

Profile of aboycemagic
A very cool presentation David! Did the Creative Illusions version look like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdHveMOG-Rs or your base? Was there two versions they sold?
Thanks!
Alex
DavidThomas
View Profile
Loyal user
231 Posts

Profile of DavidThomas
Hi Alex, Yes the original Creative Illusion (which I still have the smaller version) is the same as the youtube video you posted. Here is my performance of this. I use the smaller version in my smaller illusion shows where the production value (fans, B/A, number of hands ect) are not available. Nice thing about the smaller version, it can be performed just about anywhere, even in the round if need be. I give Ken Whitaker so many thanks for his creation in so many really cool and different illusions.

http://youtu.be/QSboW_B11ws
David Thomas
TheWorldofMagic.com
Swann101
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Swann101
Nice work on both of them David!
wanmagic
View Profile
Regular user
tulsa, ok
185 Posts

Profile of wanmagic
I have seen the effect live this past week looks just as great as it did live!!!
David has a great show out at Frontier City in Okc!!! I encourage everyone to check it out!!!
Lots and lots of experience, art,and production goes into all his effects!!
Congrats my friend!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » My Newest Illusion (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL