The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » For every action... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5015 Posts

Profile of landmark
...there's a reaction. Look what they're doing with fonts now:
http://vimeo.com/42675696#
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Pretty cool, although I suppose it would be an easy task to develop a cryptic font, encourage its use, but also have the mechanisms in place to intercept and easily read those styles. If I had a need for such information and the means to do so, I certainly would. A wise person would develop the antidote, along with the poison.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Profile of MobilityBundle
Interesting idea, but kinda useless unless one communicates via images. In ASCII-based communications (including email, IMs, text messaging, posting to message boards like this, etc.), the data is transmitted and stored in an eminently readable format, and only rendered as a particular font once it reaches a viewer or client.

And even still, it's a SINGLE font, not even a font scheme. So once the font is decoded, it's real easy to go back and decode previously intercepted communications.

There's an oft-repeated maxim in cryptanalysis: "security by obscurity is no security at all." This is a prime example.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5015 Posts

Profile of landmark
Hmm, so you're saying I should ditch the lemon juice?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16199 Posts

Profile of tommy
The principle more or less is used in security printing. Optical Document Security, as it is known in the trade.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Profile of MobilityBundle
Quote:
On 2013-07-05 20:20, landmark wrote:

Without commenting on the relative security of communication by lemon juice, I will express a small concern about its compatibility with modern electronic protocols. Smile
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16199 Posts

Profile of tommy
Couldn't you just type white on white?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27122 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2013-07-05 23:48, tommy wrote:
Couldn't you just type white on white?

if you put font messages up as "type the text in the image above" boxes on sites ... others will decode the fonts and have the translation table up in almost no time.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5015 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2013-07-05 22:18, MobilityBundle wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-07-05 20:20, landmark wrote:

Without commenting on the relative security of communication by lemon juice, I will express a small concern about its compatibility with modern electronic protocols. Smile

What if I put the message in a sealed envelope in the zippered compartment of my jacket-pocket oversized wallet?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27122 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Finding an intact lemon inside a sealed envelope ... Tempting. You know that moment after you tear the end and blow on it to open the sleeve ... then you tip it down so the contents can slide out and a lemon falls out ??

Lemon juice might not get the same reaction.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16199 Posts

Profile of tommy
So they know all our secrets and so magic is dead and so that is that.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5015 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2013-07-07 19:26, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Finding an intact lemon inside a sealed envelope ... Tempting. You know that moment after you tear the end and blow on it to open the sleeve ... then you tip it down so the contents can slide out and a lemon falls out ??

Now that sounds like it would be a lot of fun, but possibly too impossible. I'd be curious how an audience would react and go home with it.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Or they could just use PGP, or similar.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » For every action... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL