The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Edward Snowden is going to... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Quote:
I think that article makes some very good points.

Hi Bob,

I think Mr. Fernandez is a very thoughtful commentator, and his insights are often not obvious.

Quote:
The surveillance has thwarting of terrorists is only a minor function of the surveillance, and it does a lousy job at that.

Hi landmark,

I certainly think that there are flaws in a system of massive surveillance that allowed an infiltrator like Mr. Snowden inside. (Although I think he may at times exaggerate how much he really knows.) I agree with you that the way our counter-terror security systems are set up appears at times to be more concerned with intimidating the great mass of law-abiding citizens, rather than on destroying the enemy. Now why would that be?
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5015 Posts

Profile of landmark
It startles me when I look over my shoulder and find that the person agreeing with me is Woland. Welcome. Smile
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
I've always thought that you were, to use Sartre's turn of phrase from Les mains sales, "récupérable."

Meanwhile, Matt Drudge's headline story this morning links to this article.

Quote:
WASHINGTON — In an initiative aimed at rooting out future leakers and other security violators, President Barack Obama has ordered federal employees to report suspicious actions of their colleagues based on behavioral profiling techniques that are not scientifically proven to work, according to experts and government documents.

The techniques are a key pillar of the Insider Threat Program, an unprecedented government-wide crackdown under which millions of federal bureaucrats and contractors must watch out for “high-risk persons or behaviors” among co-workers. Those who fail to report them could face penalties, including criminal charges.

Obama mandated the program in an October 2011 executive order after Army Pfc. Bradley Manning downloaded hundreds of thousands of documents from a classified computer network and gave them to WikiLeaks, the anti-government secrecy group. The order covers virtually every federal department and agency, including the Peace Corps, the Department of Education and others not directly involved in national security.

Under the program, which is being implemented with little public attention, security investigations can be launched when government employees showing “indicators of insider threat behavior” are reported by co-workers, according to previously undisclosed administration documents obtained by McClatchy. Investigations also can be triggered when “suspicious user behavior” is detected by computer network monitoring and reported to “insider threat personnel.”

Federal employees and contractors are asked to pay particular attention to the lifestyles, attitudes and behaviors – like financial troubles, odd working hours or unexplained travel – of co-workers as a way to predict whether they might do “harm to the United States.” Managers of special insider threat offices will have “regular, timely, and, if possible, electronic, access” to employees’ personnel, payroll, disciplinary and “personal contact” files, as well as records of their use of classified and unclassified computer networks, polygraph results, travel reports and financial disclosure forms.

How long before we are all asked to monitor each other?

I haven't yet seen the 2006 "Das Leben der Anderen" ("The Lives of Others") but maybe now is the time . . . . before it is too late!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Edward Snowden is going to... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL