The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » How many routines to show a group? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sleightofand
View Profile
Regular user
London, UK
188 Posts

Profile of sleightofand
Some magicians ask how many routines/ tricks should you show to a group of people. I guess it all depends on the situation.
Sometimes I like to keep it to perhaps 3 effects, other times maybe 6, all depends on how many in the group and how many to perform for in general.
You basically want to pick routines that you consider your best work, and knock their socks off leaving them wanting more of you.

All the best.

Andy

http://www.andyrussell.webs.com
RussoMagic.com
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of RussoMagic.com
A formal show should be between 10 to 20 effects.. depending on if the show is approx 30 mins to a 1 hr. I know some might differ.... when performing for a table in a restaurant walk-around situation.. I concurr with Andy, 3 effects is a good number. Sometimes, if they just come to see the magic or give me a tip, I will approach the table after they eat and do a few more. You have to becareful though, after they get done eating, usually the staff wants them to move out. But, I have found that I can swing in for a few more quickies, if they have just came to see me personally, or have given me a tip (which I never ask for).
morro3
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of morro3
Great tips guys, I think that in terms of restaurant realities, any number of tricks that lasts around 5 minutes is quite okay. It is enough to entertain, leave an impression and do not disturb the dynamic of eating a meal at the same time. You can of course come back and show some more if the situation is right and you can spot genuine interest from the table.
Remarkable Marco
View Profile
Veteran user
When I grow up, I want to have
355 Posts

Profile of Remarkable Marco
As a beginner and an amateur, my largest shows are in front of groups of 3 to 5 people, usually a mix of friends and friends of friends. I do not base my program on the number of effects but on the total time I have in mind, usually an hour. If some effects take more time than expected but are still entertaining people, I stay on them without rushing just to go through all of the effects I had planned to perform. The only effects I am sure I'll perform are the first 4-5, and the closer (usually mental epic with a note pad, a la Osterlind, just not as awesome as he). Anything between the openers and the closer is adapted depending on reactions, interests, etc. If after the closer people want more, I add more stuff as needed.
Remarkable Marco
View Profile
Veteran user
When I grow up, I want to have
355 Posts

Profile of Remarkable Marco
As a beginner and an amateur, my largest shows are in front of groups of 3 to 5 people, usually a mix of friends and friends of friends. I do not base my program on the number of effects but on the total time I have in mind, usually an hour. If some effects take more time than expected but are still entertaining people, I stay on them without rushing just to go through all of the effects I had planned to perform. The only effects I am sure I'll perform are the first 4-5, and the closer (usually mental epic with a note pad, a la Osterlind, just not as awesome as he). Anything between the openers and the closer is adapted depending on reactions, interests, etc. If after the closer people want more, I add more stuff as needed.
BillyRobertReid
View Profile
New user
Glasgow,UK
15 Posts

Profile of BillyRobertReid
I tend to perform 3 effects per group when I am entertaining at weddings, although as some of you have commented it depends on number of people in attendance and timings.
It's important to leave them wanting more - by showing the same group 6 or 7 tricks I believe the impact of your magic can be diluted.
Jinx18
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Jinx18
I think 3-4 is a good number unless one or two are exceptionally short. Too much and people get bored.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » How many routines to show a group? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL