The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Review: Wedge by Jesse Feinberg (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4287 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
The ad:

YOU CLEARLY DISPLAY BOTH SIDES OF THE CARD CASE...as you casually reach inside to grab your deck.

But you've stored a few extra things inside the case that you forgot about.

You pull out a box of TIC TACS, a LIGHTER, CANDY, DICE an ADDRESS BOOK AND MORE...MORE THAN ENOUGH SOLID REAL STUFF TO FILL THE ENTIRE CARD CASE.

But then you drop the case onto your spectator's hand and she can feel there's EVEN MORE inside the box. What could still be wedged inside after that big pile of goodies you just pulled out?

She looks inside the card case and FREAKS OUT when she discovers it's COMPLETELY FILLED with the ENTIRE DECK!

This is not a shell deck or fake deck..but a real-deal EXAMINABLE FULL DECK of normal cards...which your spectator pulls out of the normal EXAMINABLE CARD CASE!

Your audience can try, but will find it impossible to WEDGE even just ONE of the other items into the card box when the deck's inside!!

Use your own objects to customize your Wedge performance

Produce just about any small objects you can stuff into a card box!

Perform standing or sitting

No palming

Nothing to ditch

Deck and Box are ungimmicked and fully examinable

All the above is true aside from one thing and this looks really fooling. "Nothing to ditch" is true after the effect is over. You are ditching the thing during the performance, that's the great part about it, you really are clean at the end. I would feel comfortable doing this in close up situations. I haven't had a chance to road test this, but I will really soon.

Inside the DVD case you get a "Thank You" note and a page on how how to customize the gimmick to your own box, which happens to be fairly simple and quick if you have a color copier. I just got a half brick of mandolins and that is the gimmick cover that "Wedge" comes with You also get a tan colored envelope with all you need for it, which are two things and the assembly takes less than 10 seconds and you'll be set. He also goes over this on the DVD.

The gimmick itself is super durable, it's made of a certain something that isn't easy to destroy. Kudos to them for making it this way, they could have set you off with something a lot cheaper and you would have had to buy replacements. I don't see the need to buy any replacements anytime soon. The gimmick is well hidden and won't give off any suspicion.

The DVD is shot on a beautiful comfy location, on a dock/pier somewhere, made me pretty relaxed watching it. Anyways, you get a couple different handlings that differ depending on your situation. There is one handling that almost makes this angle proof, from above and below.

I know what you are thinking, pocket space? So of course you'll need the extra bit of space for the items, it's not as much as you may think, it's minor so you can keep the deck and wedge gimmick all ready to go in your jacket pocket, even possibly your pants pocket.

Overall: The illusion is great, it's practical for the walk-around/stage-parlor performer. I'm going to give this a go tomorrow.

Verdict: Highly Recommended, a point taken off for the small bit of space it takes up, but as you can see in the demo, the final reveal of the deck of cards is gonna get a fun reaction. Makes for a great opener, I can see people wondering ,"Why the hell is that box of cards rattling?". This will make for a great non-verbal attention grabber in the midst of my verbal attention grabber, kapeesh?

9/10
Xaerius
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of Xaerius
Thanks for taking the plunge and reviewing this like you said you would, Blindside! Smile

Nigel
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Blindside785 thanks for taking their purchase risk and giving us a review!
magicmike30
View Profile
Special user
746 Posts

Profile of magicmike30
I saw this yesterday and it looked great. Have to say its pleasantly surprised. You could have a lot of fun with this.
Magician, Mentalist, Entertainer.

www.mikebelieve.com
Libertus
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Libertus
Okay, I got this the other day and only watched the DVD now. I had actually written a longer review than this before my stupid laptop crashed so I am starting again and also quite annoyed, haha.

DVD: Perfect, and top notch. Jesse shoots the video from a dock or in a boat and the scenery is absolutely beautiful. I paused a few times to check out the background as it was pretty nice. His teaching is very professional, and you learn everything you need to perform this trick well. His voice is clear and he has a sense of humour which is pleasant to see after so many DVDs making me want to fall asleep.

Gimmick: You get the gimmick which is made out of pretty much strong stuff. Should last you a long time to come. You also get taught how to alter your gimmick should you want to use it on a different pack of cards apart from Red. You also get an additional small piece of item which helps with the gimmick and these can be bought at shops for £1 ($2-3). You can also use similar items which can be found in the house. They will do the job just fine.

The gimmick is well made and its smartly made. I had a similar idea in mind at first but the kicker at the end of this trick was what did it for me. (Thanks Peter Nardi!)

Jesse explains this all very well and everything works extremely well. The only issue is that you need to make sure that your angles are clear. This cannot be performed all the way around with spectators all around you unless you have some incredible skills to hide out the bits you can't let spectators see. This trick would be ideal for stage - would work well with close up too, yet I am still yet to try this on spectators in the streets.

It does take practice in front of a mirror before you completely master this. I am far from perfection but in within a few weeks I should be ready to do this properly.. but it's good fun and the great thing is that this trick can be done in front of a mirror and the mirror will pretty much act as the spectator. You don't need to hassle or annoy your wife / family!

All in all, it's a good purchase and at the current price (I heard its in the cool box)- Its a steal.

Would I perform this? Maybe..

Once I perfect this, Il find a way to implement this into my current routine. I could start this as an opener and then move straight into the french kiss card trick before moving onto my other effects so yes, I will definitely consider using this in my routines as long as there is something I can continue on after doing this one to an audience/spectator.
kieronthemighty
View Profile
Special user
617 Posts

Profile of kieronthemighty
Just seen the demo wow Looks awsome thanks for the review guys
JohnG
View Profile
V.I.P.
367 Posts

Profile of JohnG
I think the trick is great. One thing that bugs me is that the "pages" are on the wrong side of the notebook (on the spine side). Seems like an obvious thing that could have been fixed.

Anybody else notice this?

John G
John Guastaferro

Facebook fan page: www.facebook.com/MagicJohnG
Twitter: twitter.com/johngmagic
YouTube: www.youtube.com/johngmagic
Email: johnGmagic@mac.com
jonbbc
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of jonbbc
Very annoying how only a 16g Tic Tac box will fit comfortably to allow for other items. You can't even find the 16g Tic Tac boxes anymore since they're selling the 1oz boxes here now. It would have been really nice to know about that before purchasing the effect. Now, I guess I'll have to import Tic Tacs from overseas... (Of course I can use other objects, but the sound you get from rattling a box of Tic Tacs around can't be beat, and there's the great coin to Tic Tac box effect to utilize as well..) *Frustrated*
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2013-07-12 22:07, jonbbc wrote:
You can't even find the 16g Tic Tac boxes anymore since they're selling the 1oz boxes here now.

They have them here:

http://supermart.ae/products/Tic-Tac-Fresh-Mint-16g.html

ajaxone
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of ajaxone
Could you leave out the tic tacs, place the sharpie in place and a key chain like the winner god, take out the book of secrets and produce the deck of cards?
ajaxone
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of ajaxone
Producing a book of secrets is great. You notice that the book is out of context with the mandolins. It's great phsycholagy. I think it's meant to be a fun effect. The book looks like a vintage study book so you don't give it a second thought.
jonbbc
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of jonbbc
Thanks Zombie Magic - they also have the Tic Tacs on eBay for a much better price. http://www.ebay.com/itm/TIC-TAC-12PCS-LO......c1f89187
It's just a shame that nothing was mentioned about where/how to get them on the instructional DVD. After practicing it, I also found some things that should have been taught on the DVD but weren't. Like, some very basic handling procedures. Overall though, this is an EXCELLENT effect, and it's one I will definitely be using. After practicing the effect to perfection, I posted a video of it here: http://youtu.be/RBdt00bB8hs
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2013-07-14 02:32, jonbbc wrote:
Thanks Zombie Magic - they also have the Tic Tacs on eBay for a much better price. http://www.ebay.com/itm/TIC-TAC-12PCS-LO......c1f89187
It's just a shame that nothing was mentioned about where/how to get them on the instructional DVD. After practicing it, I also found some things that should have been taught on the DVD but weren't. Like, some very basic handling procedures. Overall though, this is an EXCELLENT effect, and it's one I will definitely be using. After practicing the effect to perfection, I posted a video of it here: http://youtu.be/RBdt00bB8hs

??????? Jumping Gemini! If I could perform 1/4 as well as you, I'd do Professional shows. WOW!!!

:applause: Smile Smile

THANK YOU for taking the time to share a review and of course that wonderful performance video!
jonbbc
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of jonbbc
Thank you, Zombie Magic - a good magician knows there's a huge difference between video recordings and real life performances, and I always take special care to deliver the highest quality. The sad part is that many, many amateur magicians will post videos of it in the future so that it will become relatively easy for people to figure out. One huge differentiator I found in performing this effectively is making sure the flap of the box is pointed straight up. This adds so much, and it was a major detail left out in the instructional DVD.
Justin N. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
2457 Posts

Profile of Justin N. Miller
I have a very very cool way to show the card box empty AFTER the items come out and then the deck AUDIBLY materializes in the box. I wanted to add it to the dvd but it had already been shot by that time..Paul Harris loved the idea though!
Those who have purchased it pm me and ill share the idea with you.
This has NOTHING to do with the actual method or concept of wedge..its another phase for the effect though!

JM
jonbbc
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of jonbbc
FYI: updated video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXkxotO3toA
Thanks Jesse Feinberg for such a great effect - I'm jealous you were able to work with Paul Harris on it, too!
magicbyswh
View Profile
Inner circle
North East Tennessee
1498 Posts

Profile of magicbyswh
Nice job on the video
Creator of Cereal Brainwave, Creator of the Tossed out Book
westo
View Profile
Elite user
Portugal
463 Posts

Profile of westo
This looks like it could 'store' a lot of my mentalism act, interesting....
Creator of 'The Famous Westo Peek' and 'The Westo Dump'
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Review: Wedge by Jesse Feinberg (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.33 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL