The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » In your opinion, who's the greatest magician in the history of the world (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
foreva.infiniti
View Profile
Regular user
6 Posts a + a 6 Posts =
116 Posts

Profile of foreva.infiniti
?
Colors are Foreva. Numbers are Infinite. 4 every number there's a color. HEY! Eternity! Lets smoke a beer and drink some loud. But wait! I heard you was a six a plus a 6 ahhhh.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Besides me?
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
I'm next after Payne.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
frankvomit
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of frankvomit
Payne!
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2013-07-12 19:24, frankvomit wrote:
Payne!

Excedrin helps.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I think it's a very broad question and so it's going to be hard to be serious.
But I'll take a try if you give me more than one answer.

Robert-Houdin
Houdini
Dai Vernon
Derren Brown

Just my opinion.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
The MOST influential......Dai Vernon. No one comes close.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Howard Thurston
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-07-12 19:52, Zombie Magic wrote:
The MOST influential......Dai Vernon. No one comes close.

As to technique, I absolutely agree.
But as to image, I'd have to say the most influential were Robert-Houdin and Alexander Herrmann.

I think the OP's question is too broad, though, as there are many I would consider "the greatest" within their particular specialties. I.e.- manipulation- Cardini, etc.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
That magic man that did the birthday party. I forgot his name.

Tom
frankvomit
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of frankvomit
Seriously if you're looking at of all time it's a tough call cause I've read some crazy things that Isaac Faux but that's only read. I have also only really read about Houdin, Malini, even Houdini really either that some of the stuff that's available on silent film it's really hard to say who was actually the best Dai Vernon is someone I would like to have seen in his prime unfortunately there's not too much footage of that available either even though the recent footage that is available of him from the 70's 80's and 90's although not much clearly show's he had amazing ability.

from what I have seen and the people who have influenced me as entertainers I have to give credit where credit is do and say Penn and Teller they might not perform the most technically advanced Stuff but it's always entertaining, Cardini if you want to go for ability and entertaining, I loved Doug Henning when I was a kid and never missed any of his specials, and I could also say the same about David Copperfield. But my absolute favorite of all time I gotta say Slidini His Charm, His Chops, His Humor he had the whole package the Footage of him on Dick Cavette is incredible. I go onto youtube and watch em whenever I just feel like I need inspiration.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
I have always admired Alexander Herrmann.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On 2013-07-12 20:10, TomBoleware wrote:
That magic man that did the birthday party. I forgot his name.

Tom

I forgot my smiley. Smile

And I will add this:

As others have said, it really is to broad a question. It all comes down to who you ask.
A close up magician will probably like a close up performer more than say a stage magician.
And for some it could very well be a birthday party clown.

For me, two greats that come to mind: Blackstone and Willard the Wizard.

Tom
foreva.infiniti
View Profile
Regular user
6 Posts a + a 6 Posts =
116 Posts

Ok. It seems you all think the answer to my question is to wide open. There can only be one truly greatest of all time simply by definition. Its your opinion. If you think patter is the important of all then maybe the greatest patterer would come to mind. don't make it more difficult than it is. Yes I know magic covers a WIDE variety but THERE CAN ONLY BE 1 GREATEST... Eternity.
Colors are Foreva. Numbers are Infinite. 4 every number there's a color. HEY! Eternity! Lets smoke a beer and drink some loud. But wait! I heard you was a six a plus a 6 ahhhh.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-07-12 21:04, TomBoleware wrote:

For me, two greats that come to mind: Blackstone and Willard the Wizard.

Tom

Both certainly qualify. As do innumerable others. But, as you noted, the question is too broad and entirely subjective. There is no standard upon which to judge. Even when it comes to asking who was the most influential. A century ago many would have confidently, and with some justification, named Professor Hoffmann.

And don't forget Maskelyne and Devant.

The only reason I said Howard Thurston in my earlier post is because it said right on his posters, "The World's Greatest Magician." Smile
frankvomit
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of frankvomit
Quote:
my absolute favorite of all time I gotta say Slidini His Charm, His Chops, His Humor he had the whole package the Footage of him on Dick Cavette is incredible. I go onto youtube and watch em whenever I just feel like I need inspiration.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
In the history of the whole world? Yikes. Probably some dead guy from India. Or maybe China. Or Japan. Or maybe Europe or Africa. Jeepers, I don't know.

Why not ask something easy, like the modern history of Canada. Then it'd be easy. Doug Henning. No, I mean Dai Vernon. Aw geez, I'm stuck even there.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
foreva.infiniti
View Profile
Regular user
6 Posts a + a 6 Posts =
116 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-07-13 00:01, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
In the history of the whole world? Yikes. Probably some dead guy from India. Or maybe China. Or Japan. Or maybe Europe or Africa. Jeepers, I don't know.

Why not ask something easy, like the modern history of Canada. Then it'd be easy. Doug Henning. No, I mean Dai Vernon. Aw geez, I'm stuck even there.

I specifically asked for your opinion. I think I said it twice. don't make it harder than it is. Dam man I didn't think most people didn't have an ALL TIME favo(u)rite magician.
foreva.infiniti
View Profile
Regular user
6 Posts a + a 6 Posts =
116 Posts

My ALL TIME FAVO(U)RITE Is Ace Cooper. He's French! He's the one who got me into magic in the 1st place and plus he introduced me to my all time favorite animal!!!!!!!!!!!!
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-07-13 00:43, foreva.infiniti wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-07-13 00:01, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

I specifically asked for your opinion. I think I said it twice. don't make it harder than it is. Dam man I didn't think most people didn't have an ALL TIME favo(u)rite magician.

You didn't ask for our all time favorite magician. You asked our opinion on who was the greatest in the history of the world. Some of my favorites I wouldn't exactly call "great."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » In your opinion, who's the greatest magician in the history of the world (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL