The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Jumbo folding coin (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
817 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
Hi all , were can I find a jumbo folding coin like 10 inches ???
your help is appreciatted
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1354 Posts

Profile of Stucky
I'm not sure they make them. Might need to be custom fabricated.
Official Thread Killer
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9497 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I can make one but making a one-of-a-kind Is expensive.

To start with, the 10 inch coin that was put out commercially is too thin and not flat, and for a few other reasons it can't be converted. That means I would either need to make a coin from high density foam and have those parts sand cast (too heavy) or carve it and then the original HDU is plated itself.

You can read about making a HDU coin ( or similar) here http://artcarvedphotos.com/pages/sculpte......oin.html
That's 545 for a two sided hard foam coin. Add another 125 for the two cuts and groove around the perimeter. If you don't mind the coin being painted silver (display only) then that will work but if you need it plated, for durability, I would have a trusted plating company apply an interim fixative substructure which is then plated externally. (another 550) that would make the inside light and the outside hard - but- I wouldn't throw or drop the coin either.

I would not have an all metal coin cast because of the weight, in this case. In order for it to "do what it's supposed to do" it would need to be about a half inch thick or possibly a little more. Taking a master and having it sand-cast, buffed, polished & plated and would probably cost around 2,000 give or take for one of a kind. The price for multiples, after the first is produced would come down to about 45 percent.

We can Blow-mold them in grey plastic but it's probably 100 minium at a cost of around 16,000 for the lot but the master moulds are more complicated, being made in reverse and other considerations.

Incidentally, the coin in the picture is 16 inches which I produce from a 24 inch silk at almost every show. That coin is wood with a painted enamel finish. It's tough enough for what I need but light enough that it can be handled. If we were to make a 10 inch chrome covered coin I'll guess the weight would be one pound. If we were to make a solid cast coin I'll guess the weight would be 7 to 8 pounds. The estimate includes aircraft grade aluminum. Cheaper stuff like 6064 will dent too easily. An all metal coin starts with the AL base metal then usually a coat of nickel and then the chrome. Believe it or not, chrome is almost see-through and just really gives it the shine. It's the nickel that gives it the silver tone.

With all that said, most people would probably be taken-back at the cost but I took the time to write this so anyone reading it would have a better understanding and appreciation for what it takes to make something along these lines.
dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
817 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
I'm shoked at the coast !!!
isn't there anything on the market ??
cant you take the anton coridan or the one murphys magic cary and modify it ???
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9497 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I have both and they are too thin to "hold in place".
The comparison is: Those coins are about a thick as a silver dollar but the diameter of a real silver dollar is only 6 percent of the 10 inch coin, So the larger the diameter the flimsier the hold, because of the weight. At 10 inches you would need at least .714 in thickness (almost 3/4 of an inch) to scale-up a geometric ratio.

AND... that's assuming you have large a rubber band with the same properties as a small one. I don't believe there is such an animal. An alternative is to use the Mercedes Bends or Porper approach to stringing the elastic. At this point I'll defer to Joe. but I wouldn't be surprised if he quoted you the same or more - for a one of a kind.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Jumbo folding coin (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL