The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Fred Maher Course? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

KeithS
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of KeithS
I've been told that the original Maher course, written by Fred Maher himself, was, in some ways, superior to its later incarnations. I've been looking for a copy of it for over a year now, and I think there's one currently being sold on ebay. I've asked the seller but he/she was unsure. Can anyone confirm that this is, in fact, the original Maher course?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mayer-School-of-......1104b950

Thanks!
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
I saw that, it does appear to be an original, or at least a much earlier version than when Clinton took over.
I have never heard before that it was better than the later versions, but just because I haven't heard that doesn't mean it isn't possible.
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html

"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
KeithS
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of KeithS
Thanks, Dave. I was surprised when it was suggested to me that the original course was better. I always assumed that it improved over the years. The person who expressed this view said that Fred Maher's course was much more stripped down to the essentials, with less fillers, and had better lessons on the distant voice. I'm in no position to comment. While I did take the course from Clinton in the '90s, I've never seen a copy of the original.

Speaking of vent courses, does anyone have an thoughts on Bob Neller's course?
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5945 Posts

Profile of george1953
I have the Maher course, it is in a plastic box and comes with cassette tapes and accompanying booklets, I have read it many times, if it is what you are looking for PM me, george
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
KeithS
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of KeithS
Thanks, George. But you seems to have one of the ones that Clinton Detweiler sold for many years. It actually sounds like the one I had, including cassette tapes, before the addition of Mark Wade's DVDs. I'm referring to the original course written by Fred Maher himself. I understand it had 30 lessons and was typed up and mimeographed.
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1022 Posts

Profile of jlibby
Quote:
On 2013-07-13 17:27, KeithS wrote:
Thanks, Dave. I was surprised when it was suggested to me that the original course was better. I always assumed that it improved over the years. The person who expressed this view said that Fred Maher's course was much more stripped down to the essentials, with less fillers, and had better lessons on the distant voice. I'm in no position to comment. While I did take the course from Clinton in the '90s, I've never seen a copy of the original.

Speaking of vent courses, does anyone have an thoughts on Bob Neller's course?

It's been a long time since I've listened to it, since I only have it on cassette, but I recall that Neller's course had perhaps the best explanation of the distant voice that I have ever come across.

Joe Libby
San Antonio, TX
International Motivational Speaker & Entertainer; Helps you get ROCK-STAR RESULTS for your event!

For your gifts and free trainings, visit:
https://JoeLibbySeminars.com
KeithS
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of KeithS
That's my understanding as well, Joe.
Budihaha
View Profile
Veteran user
Bandung - Indonesia
326 Posts

Profile of Budihaha
We should ask Tom Ladsaw about this matter, I think.
Please somebody who go to the ConVENTion ask this issue to Tom, then post it.
Thx! Smile
Budi H. Hadiwarsito
Bandung - Indonesia
www.budihaha.com
KeithS
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of KeithS
Way ahead of you, Budi. Actually, Tom is the person in question who I spoke to.
Fonsy
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of Fonsy
Most of the vents in the late 19th century were primarily distant voice ventriloquists.

FREDERICK MACCABE, who wrote a small book on ventriloquism, did not use figures at all.

You might find his book useful -- as old as it is -- if you are reading up on distant voice.

Click here to view attached image.
Aussie
View Profile
Special user
Australia
623 Posts

Profile of Aussie
Sometimes people will say what ever they need to in order to sell something (goodness knows I've fallen for that routine a couple of times recently).

I have both of them and to be honest I don't see much difference except for maybe a bit more information and suggestions in the course Clinton Detweiler sold. The Maher course is of course very good, but I wouldn't necessarily rate one as better than the other (unless you want more information then go with the later version). The reason why I have both is because I wanted an updated version of an old course and I was pleased with what I got.

I have to agree Neller's course is great for the distance voice and you can buy it on cd from Lee Cornell's site.
Australia's Most Original Ventriloquist

http://www.ladymaceentertainment.com
KeithS
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of KeithS
Thanks for the suggestion, Fonsy. I am familiar with that book.

Aussie, Please know Tom was not trying to sell me anything. I had simply asked him for his opinion on the best resources for learning vent. I am always interested in hearing what other vents think about this. Tom did not, and, as far as I know, does not have an original Maher course for sale. He was simply responding to my inquiry.

That said, I basically agree with your point. While I have no opinion on Fred Maher's original course, I have come to the conclusion that there are many avenues through which one can learn the basics of vent. While some resources are better than others, I think an interested person can learn through the many decent resources available (including on the net), without spending much money at all.

Thanks guys!
Aussie
View Profile
Special user
Australia
623 Posts

Profile of Aussie
I wasn't suggesting Tom in particular was trying to sell you anything, just making a general observation really Smile

That being said, after all these years of being a ventriloquist I still gather up anything there is about how to do it. For me personally it's a constant learning skill and so I remain open to anyone's opinions and advise on how it's done. So you make a good point. Gosh I have a myriad of books, tapes, CDs and videos that I love to refer to over and over. Luckily the vent community is a very giving one and the exchange of information is always there to share.
Australia's Most Original Ventriloquist

http://www.ladymaceentertainment.com
KeithS
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of KeithS
Understood, Aussie. And I agree with you about the value of continually learning.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Fred Maher Course? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL