We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown book test (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
mclare
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of mclare
Absolutely no offence meant, as this is a general point, but it's interesting how so many magicians claim to really admire DB and want to follow in his footsteps and in the same breath clearly miss the point and see where the effort and time must be spent. (Muttley - I'm not talking about you, I have no idea if you admire him.)
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4585 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Maybe it has something to do with the initials...?

Derren Brown

David Blaine

David Bopperfield

:evilgrin:
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
mclare
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of mclare
Also David Berglas and Dirty Buttocks.
Mr Secret-ary
View Profile
Regular user
Bath, England
106 Posts

Profile of Mr Secret-ary
'LOL' doesn't even come close - CLASSIC gag there, Philemon! (and you never mentioned our very own Daul Baniels).

Jonathan, it's great to find a fellow believer on here, also struggling with what is and isn't ethical in this whole fab field we call Mentalism...

As to Derren - oh darn it, I'm just going to say this, even if it sounds namedroppy. He's a friend. (And last week I delivered a moose head to him, on the roof of my car.) Both statements are true - honest!

Also true is that we've chatted a lot about booktests, and Derren is in this, as many other things, a big fan of Chan Canasta - which should give you some major clues. He has gone very 'purist' over booktests, and his TV one was the logical result of these current views - very much as other people have already said on this thread. It has to be impromptu and justifiable, otherwise (he believes) there's always the 'why are you using that/those particular book/s' question, as well 'but HOW are you doing that?' His TV persona adheres strictly to the approach that if an effect can't be given a plausible 'explanation', he won't do it, however great it may be. Hence the (allegedly) 'scientific' approach to a booktest.

I disagree with the great One, and personally, I'm a HUGE fan of the various gaffed tests available. But then - I don't have my own TV series, do I? Hmmm...
mclare
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of mclare
you delivered a MOOSE head to him?
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4585 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Sounds like a load of bull winkle to me...

:evilgrin:
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
mclare
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of mclare
Do you mean 'mouse' head? Tasty snack?
Mr Secret-ary
View Profile
Regular user
Bath, England
106 Posts

Profile of Mr Secret-ary
McLare - It's okay, it was already dead. (and dusty, in fact).

Philemon - it was JUST the HEAD, okay? No 'winkle' was involved, I promise.

McLare again - Derren's unusual, not downright WEIRD - how come you know they're 'tasty', anywhow?

Actually, I was kind of sorry to see it go - I had a barrel of laughs driving round Bath beforehand, with people staring and me just looking blankly back at them going "What? WHAT!?!" I recommend it, really.

(Wasn't there was also a small bit in my post about, um - Booktests..?)

Smile
mclare
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of mclare
Yes, true, although the moose thread is at least as interesting. I agree with what you/Derren says about getting over the question of 'how did you do that'. The question is answered - or at least the answer is implied - by the photoreading. The focus for the spectator is elsewhere - not trying to work it out.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown book test (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL