The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » 10th Annual MagiCelebration - JULY 31 - AUG. 3 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Rick Fisher
View Profile
Elite user
Rick Fisher
468 Posts

Profile of Rick Fisher
Rabbits hereabouts are seeking shelter because ...the magicians are coming to town! July 31st - thru August 3rd Colon, Michigan Rick Fisher & FAB Magic celebrate their 10th anniversary with four phenomenal days of magic! Featuring 6 lectures by: Dick Stoner,Charlie Frye, Norm Barnhart,Preston Eakins,Sylvester Jester & Danny Orleans! Close up show featuring: Charlie Frye, Ron Jaxon,Dick Stoner - 4 GIANT PUBLIC SHOWS - Reserved seats only $15.00! A different show each night. The best value convention on the planet..and did I mention dealers? You betcha! Our Salute To The Military night is Wednesday night July 31st - free admission to the military families - active and retired - from St. Joseph County to this very special show! Youth Stage Contest is completely booked up! $1300 in prize money/product ! World's Largest Magic Flea market! --- you can't miss a single day - registrations available for the week and day packages available as well.

See YOU in the magic capital of the world!

http://www.colonmichiganmagic.com
http://www.magiccapitoloftheworld.com
Rick Fisher, President FAB Magic

"One of the largest magic shops in the world!"

www.fabmagic.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
WOW Rick
It looks like another stellar line up.

Have Fun
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Rick Fisher
View Profile
Elite user
Rick Fisher
468 Posts

Profile of Rick Fisher
Thanks Al! We will miss magic Ian for sure who was originally scheduled to lecture and perform. A good friend and innovator. But he will be in our thoughts.....

www.fabmagic.com
Rick Fisher
View Profile
Elite user
Rick Fisher
468 Posts

Profile of Rick Fisher
Tickets for both Friday & Saturday shows are going fast. We are nearly 1/2 full for both programs Smile Don't delay get your tickets NOW!

www.fabmagic.com
Rick Fisher
View Profile
Elite user
Rick Fisher
468 Posts

Profile of Rick Fisher
GRAB BAG Special ONLY available at the Dealers Room - Colon Elementary School - dozens of grab bags with all kinds of stuff for only $20! Dealers so far:
FAB Magic, Dick Stoner,Timid Rabbit,Dan Sylvester,Magic Now + more to come!

www.fabmagic.com
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2879 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
If the Colon crew is looking for an added stage performer and lecturer, I would highly recommend England's Mark Shortland. He was a huge hit at the just completed FCM convention in Nashville. As an experienced cruise performer, his evening show performance was engaging, totally fresh, funny and baffling. Clever, fast, quick whit. See Mark's work on youtube including on the Penn and Teller/Fool Us television show. As for his lecture- WOW- very amazing close-up and stage items were presented and taught: and then made available for an extremely low price. Mark sold out completely of every single thing he brought to our convention. I had not seen him before in the United States, and he may have performed here before, but he would be a bit hig at any convention as he can do a stage performance, a close up show, and/or lecture including having unique magic products for sale not seen elsewhere.
Rick Fisher
View Profile
Elite user
Rick Fisher
468 Posts

Profile of Rick Fisher
Hi Roger..will check him out! Can't do this year but maybe next year - thanks for the tip...rick

www.fabmagic.com
Rick Fisher
View Profile
Elite user
Rick Fisher
468 Posts

Profile of Rick Fisher
For our Tribute To The Military on Wednesday night we have just learned the Patriot Guard Riders from Michigan will be there to salute our military and their families and a special surprise guest to start things off! Gotta be there!

www.fabmagic.com
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2879 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Nice job Rick on the "Lori Moore" show this morning on WKZO Radio about 9:50AM. Colon is the Magic Capital of the World!
Rick Fisher
View Profile
Elite user
Rick Fisher
468 Posts

Profile of Rick Fisher
Thanks Roger! I love promoting this wonderful town Smile

www.fabmagic.com
Rick Fisher
View Profile
Elite user
Rick Fisher
468 Posts

Profile of Rick Fisher
The dealers room is really filling up! Lots of great magic to be 'gotten' and the auction promises to be THE BIGGEST AND BEST EVER!

www.fabmagic.com
Rick Fisher
View Profile
Elite user
Rick Fisher
468 Posts

Profile of Rick Fisher
The weather report looks outstanding - upper 70's to low 80's all week thru the weekend!

www.fabmagic.com
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5771 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I had a nice time! I'm looking forward to next year. For those who didn't come, you missed out.

I probably would have come for the entire event, if it had been during spring break week. I would have had more cash to spend then, too.
Rick Fisher
View Profile
Elite user
Rick Fisher
468 Posts

Profile of Rick Fisher
Glad you enjoyed yourself Al...well then you better start saving Smile see you next year!

www.fabmagic.com
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2879 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Nice seeing you Al there- I thought the Friday night show was top notch- needless to say closing out the show with the full Charlie Frye and Company act- amazing talent.
Rick Fisher
View Profile
Elite user
Rick Fisher
468 Posts

Profile of Rick Fisher
Detroit Free Press was here at FAB and Colon for two days and they are planning on big article on Sunday - watch for it! Smile

www.fabmagic.com
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5771 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2013-08-05 13:26, MagicBus wrote:
Nice seeing you Al there- I thought the Friday night show was top notch- needless to say closing out the show with the full Charlie Frye and Company act- amazing talent.

Good to see you, too. BTW, the restaurant that you were telling me about...was it the River Lake Inn? Went twice. Excellent steak, but the service can be hit or miss. I'll be back, though.
Rick Fisher
View Profile
Elite user
Rick Fisher
468 Posts

Profile of Rick Fisher
MagiCelebration 2014 - has been moved to July 23-26th - MagicYOUth is the title for next year. Stage,close up and busking contests for youth 18 yrs of age and under! It's time to bring in the kids - and of the 178 we had registered most of them were new to Colon and families - with schools starting earlier and earlier it has become more difficult for families to work around first week of August (eg - Indiana schools were back in session August 7th!) - several Ohio and Illinois schools are back this week and families aren't planning on vacations that close to school as they have supplies to purchase,etc. - so we have listened and by moving this a couple of weeks back we will be able to facilitate 'families' - times change and you have to be willing change with them - August just doesn't make sense anymore unfortunately. We already have several families pre-registered and look forward to a fantastic 2014. Some changes next year - 4 stage shows,etc. will still be planned but we are working on more for the tourists as well. Stay tuned and hope to see you next year Smile

www.fabmagic.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
It sounds to me like Colon, Mi. is the place to be next July.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2879 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Hi Al: My wife and I go to Riverlake Inn now about once a month, usually on weekends, as she absolutely loves the all you can eat crab legs buffet. I have eaten there at least a dozen times, probably more. She loves seafood, and she says theirs is always excellent. Get on their email list, often will send out 10% off coupons.

Riverlake Inn is a destination full service large menu restaurant just outside of Colon- observe all the hummingbirds circling the place in the summer, watch the deer in the winter, roam the walkways outside. It literally is in the middle of nowhere, even by Colon standards. My guess is many of the magicians coming to Colon are not even aware of it being only a few minutes away.

For some reason, still not known to me why exactly, the service there is always on the very slow side. Ordering is slow, waiting for an ordered dinner is very slow (only one cook in the owner's son back there?, I'm not sure), waiting for beverages, waiting for dessert, and even waiting for the final check. So it helps if you do the buffet for sure. I will order the less expensive broasted chicken dinner (which is always excellent), my wife is usually into her seconds and thirds (she always does the crab buffet) before I even get my dinner. Takes a good 75 minutes to get in and get out of there usually. We are big tippers, so that can't be the issue.

So get there before 6pm, no problem getting over to the evening show at the high school by 8pm. In my drinking days (I no longer drink)- Riverlake had (and still does) excellent specialty drinks, terrific food, great deserts, and a very friendly staff (howbeit slow or pretty much non-existent, forgetting to bring melted butter, forgetting to timely bring refills, even not having full beverages there when the food finally arrives, etc.). Great place for "date night" where time is not of the essence, and you want to just have a very nice meal in a great setting. Obviously, if you have time constraints or require speedy service, better to go over to Dawn and Phil's on the main street in Colon.

Once my wife and I were going there and a huge mini-tornado came through literally 10 minutes before we got there. Trees on Ralston Road were knocked down, power was out. Even though we were the only ones there, we still were served a wonderful meal and we had a great time.

Lots of magicians have eaten at Riverlake Inn over the years, I was told Hank Moorehouse used to take many of the main stage acts there.

I have no idea why the service is always so slow at Riverlake, maybe its because they prefer it that way, people are there are in a social type situation anyway for special occasions often and speed is not the norm or expected, so they do not really desire to hire the extra cooks or waitresses needed to get people in and out faster. I know we would go there more often as sometimes I get annoyed just sitting there for so long, but I can handle it once a month or so, particularly when my wife enjoys their food so much.

Kinda reminds me of a very large magic shop I went to in Illinois on my way to Chicago (I drove way out of the way to get there), the biggest magic shop I have ever been to in my life. Had display after display case full of magic including multiple shelves of books and DVDs- all behind the counter so I could not look through any of them. My wallet was full of money wanting to be spent too! But the guy running the place was too busy talking to his friends (who were buying nothing)- I ended up walking out a half hour later with absolutely nothing in my hands. I could not believe it, nor could my wife. She was in shock. Magic Bus not buying anything at all in a fully stocked magic store? With any kind of service, I would have spent probably at least a hundred bucks, if not much more. It was just too much of a hassle for me to have to interrupt the magic counter sales guy/owner/whoever he was to ask him to see something in the glass display case or some book behind it, only to see him walk away again to talk to his friends hanging out. He never asked even once what I was interested in, if I was a magician, or asked me later if I wanted to see anything else. Do they want that huge brick and motor shop to fail?

We ended up walking directly across the street to a bakery, and instead bought a huge birthday cake for my daughter who is a teacher in Chicago (we were going to visit her).

Good service always adds more sales, but apparently some establishments are willing to have lesser sales in order to not inconvenience those working there. At least during Abbott's Get-Togethers, they have lots of counter guys all over the place- it takes about 15 seconds upon request to see anything Abbott's has. A+ to Abbott's!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » 10th Annual MagiCelebration - JULY 31 - AUG. 3 (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL