We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » My propose video (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gchen99
View Profile
New user
Burnaby BC
34 Posts

Profile of gchen99
Hi, everyone~~
after hours and hours of practicing and trying, I finally make the video to propose to my fiance.
Unfortunately I can’t make the whole thing without a making a bad mistake after several try ( it’s tooooooooooo hot to wear suit and perform in my room too) so I decided to make the video in 2 parts (really really sorry)

Trying to work on my expression and move too but it was just too hot (more excuse..).

But hope you guys enjoy it and suggestions are really welcome Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhJzr-qHioc&feature=youtu.be
gchen99
View Profile
New user
Burnaby BC
34 Posts

Profile of gchen99
No comments? or is it really that bad Smile
alextsui
View Profile
Regular user
Malaysia
155 Posts

Profile of alextsui
Hi gchen99,

Okay, let me be the first one to comment.

Your card manipulation sequence wasn't very smooth. Unless your girlfriend absolutely loves watching card manipulations, personally I don't find that very romantic to be in a proposal video.

If it was me doing a proposal video (which I haven't done before), I would think about using things that would mean something and represent the times that you've spent together. For example, probably producing a small replica of the Eiffel Tower to represent a trip to France which you took together. You know, use props that remind her of the beautiful memories which you both shared.

Finally I'm sure you can do better than just pulling out a piece of paper with the words "Will you marry me?" written on there. Why not make the message appear magically? One idea I can think of now is to use permanent ink to write the words and then use Frixion pen to disguise the message as something else. Then wrap it up in flash paper and light it - "Poof!" The words change to show the proposal.

Another idea is probably to do a sponge ball routine. Put a sponge ball into her hand but secretly exchange it for a heart-shaped sponge. Then she opens her hand to find the heart with the words written on the sponge itself.

Just some ideas to spark your creativity. Hope this helps. Smile
The Best Magic Effects to Take Your Performance to the Next Level
https://FireBirdMagic.com
gchen99
View Profile
New user
Burnaby BC
34 Posts

Profile of gchen99
Thanks alextsui~
Ya, I totally agree with you.
but I guess I pick the harder way and less effective way to show it.
It's just my personal perferance to do the card manipulation and hopefully she would like it.
I did see some magician perform very romantically but I guess I can't really demonstrate that.

I wasn't sure what I can have to show those words other than a piece of paper but ya, that's a great idea but I need to do a lot more research.
Anyway it's great experience and hopefully I can come out with something better Smile
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Gchen99,

There are many ways to bring the message over to your fiancé. Alex gave you two ideas and I shim in to give you another one.

First I would suggest to keep the routine much more simple. In my humble opinion your routine is too long, even though you're not bad in card manipulations.

Maybe you should try to show your romantic side by using common objects that she could relate to your feelings, love, and finally you asking her to marry you. As Alex suggested already, use objects she can relate to things you've done together.

Concerning the theme and purpose, maybe you could use a rose and offer it to her at the end, where she could find a card rolled up in a ring with your written words inside. It might sound a bit klisché, but those things work.

Don't forget your goal ! Your goal is your message for her and not to impress her with a long magic routine with beautiful flourishes. She'll have all her life with you to watch you with impressif card manipulation.

Good luck and let us know how it went.

Oliver.
gchen99
View Profile
New user
Burnaby BC
34 Posts

Profile of gchen99
Quote:
On 2013-07-16 20:57, Oliver Ross wrote:
Gchen99,

There are many ways to bring the message over to your fiancé. Alex gave you two ideas and I shim in to give you another one.

First I would suggest to keep the routine much more simple. In my humble opinion your routine is too long, even though you're not bad in card manipulations.

Maybe you should try to show your romantic side by using common objects that she could relate to your feelings, love, and finally you asking her to marry you. As Alex suggested already, use objects she can relate to things you've done together.

Concerning the theme and purpose, maybe you could use a rose and offer it to her at the end, where she could find a card rolled up in a ring with your written words inside. It might sound a bit klisché, but those things work.

Don't forget your goal ! Your goal is your message for her and not to impress her with a long magic routine with beautiful flourishes. She'll have all her life with you to watch you with impressif card manipulation.

Good luck and let us know how it went.

Oliver.

Thank you Oliver for the suggestions.

Ya, I feel that my routine is too long as well. It was actually 1/3 longer than the first one I made last year since I added the first part(one of the reason I redo it again is because An Ha Lim's teaching video and of course the first one is even worse).
I modified the 2nd and the 3rd part a little bit but didn't really cut down much stuff.
I read some thread before and I am awared of that I make some common mistakes that a lot of new people or manipulators would make such as trying to show all the move that I have practiced in one routine.
my gf like to bug me to show her magic tricks so I tried to show her as much as I learned in the video and we did go see some magic show and we were quite happy.

I did plan my routine even though maybe it's kind of hard to see why I did the 3 parts.
The first part I pick to have a lot of move with 2 hands production is like before I met her, I tried to look for a gf and therefore, trying to pair up but nothing really works(since the produced cards are all being throw away very shortly)
2nd part is I look and look and I finally find her but when a couple just get together and the relationship is not very stable, sometimes love just get smaller and smaller without knowing and it disappears because of some fight.
3rd part is love reappears again (the music is happier too and it keep going and going even after I finished the act) and we are happy together and more love are produced and accumulated and get stronger. The last bit is just to produce the flower+the "sign".

I did try to organize it in a better way to present it and I kind of cut down certain things that's a bit more difficult for me to perform smoothly.
My knowledge about stage performance and magic other than card manipulation is actually pretty low(hence there is that cheap paper at the end and crappy home made confetti lol). You are all my teachers and I am really appreciated for the comments.

Sometimes, I kind of feel sad. I really like the card manipulation but I start wondering why I pratice. It's a lot of hard work and the magic effect sometimes is not as great as some very easy magic.
Plus I am not really a magician and the stage magic is not something you can perform anytime anywhere. So I really wonder what is my purpose of doing this. However, when I watch some great manipulators perform, they really touch my heart. I might know some of their moves but their acts are truely amazing that make me feel they really have the magic power in their hands. That really inspires me.
I guess this video is more for myself than for my fiance since I see the chance to share what I really enjoy to families and friends(getting married is more like entertaining other ppl sometimes lol) and I have the chance to put all the bits and pieces I have learned. Sorry if I sounds like I complain and not listening to the suggestions. I am really happy to see a lot of people like magic here and able to share my thought since I can not really talk to my friends about magic.
gchen99
View Profile
New user
Burnaby BC
34 Posts

Profile of gchen99
Flash paper is very interesting. Just start looking it up but I have no experience using it.
Hope I won't accidently burn something else.
lemartini1050
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of lemartini1050
Although your manipulations are better than most, I suggest that you continue to practise practise practise
- it will create smoother transitions and put you more in tune with the lines (e.g. size of fans, footwork, angles ...);
also, include more interaction with the audience.

martini
gchen99
View Profile
New user
Burnaby BC
34 Posts

Profile of gchen99
Quote:
On 2013-07-17 17:44, lemartini1050 wrote:
Although your manipulations are better than most, I suggest that you continue to practise practise practise
- it will create smoother transitions and put you more in tune with the lines (e.g. size of fans, footwork, angles ...);
also, include more interaction with the audience.

martini

Thanks lemartini
Ya, I still need way more pratice. This is just a video and I understand that if I actually perform in front of the audience it's completely different story.
At least it takes me sooooo many tries to get an ok video to show people(and I even have to do it in 2 parts). That's why I really admire and appreciate magicians who can perform so flawless in front of the audience. Even just perform in front of the audience takes a lot of practice and courage.
However, I find it's kind of hard to "act" by myself (and it's hot Smile in my room).
A lot of my settings have problems. I don't really know how to hide/steal flowers, confetti, and other objects (I know almost nothing other than card manipulation)
I'll keep working on it but it might take a while (need more time visiting the forum and shopping and practice x100000).
I kind of have to finish the video. Otherwise, I won't ever be able to get married Smile
paulapaul
View Profile
Regular user
Nevada
173 Posts

Profile of paulapaul
Gchen,
Your music is truly lovely. And your sensitivity to the card moves is sweet, too.
I think the idea can work because - it seems like you are just doing a card magic video (to your girlfriend), and then, surprise - your proposal! Just work a little on making the paper production more smooth and deliberate. And hold the paper, with your proposal, very still for the camera after it appears. Give her time to read it.
Good luck. I hope you marry soon. (smile)
Cordially,
Paula
gchen99
View Profile
New user
Burnaby BC
34 Posts

Profile of gchen99
Quote:
On 2013-07-20 00:52, paulapaul wrote:
Gchen,
Your music is truly lovely. And your sensitivity to the card moves is sweet, too.
I think the idea can work because - it seems like you are just doing a card magic video (to your girlfriend), and then, surprise - your proposal! Just work a little on making the paper production more smooth and deliberate. And hold the paper, with your proposal, very still for the camera after it appears. Give her time to read it.
Good luck. I hope you marry soon. (smile)
Cordially,
Paula

Thank you paulapaul,
It took me a while to find the music and editing it (I don't really listen much of music so not much idea to start with)
and I tried to perform with the music not just playing it and do my own thing (learned that from watch a few great acts that I really like)
ya, the paper thing is not very good. I got some great suggestions and still doing research to see how I can replacing it. For now I just edited the video a bit to make it look better including a better ending picture+sign(electronic one) at the end

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko26NMpjv4A&feature=youtu.be
paulapaul
View Profile
Regular user
Nevada
173 Posts

Profile of paulapaul
Hmmmm. In my opinion, I would remove the credits at the end (the electronic list). At that point, the focus should be on the proposal ... not the credits. Save the credits for a different video. Give your girlfriend the last part - completely. Produce proposal, hold it in the camera eye, then fade, or end with a loving message. The credits are about YOU, and the ending should be about HER. That is my personal take on it. The magician has the power, and the responsibility, to control the message ... to direct the viewers' thinking.
gchen99
View Profile
New user
Burnaby BC
34 Posts

Profile of gchen99
Quote:
On 2013-07-20 10:55, paulapaul wrote:
Hmmmm. In my opinion, I would remove the credits at the end (the electronic list). At that point, the focus should be on the proposal ... not the credits. Save the credits for a different video. Give your girlfriend the last part - completely. Produce proposal, hold it in the camera eye, then fade, or end with a loving message. The credits are about YOU, and the ending should be about HER. That is my personal take on it. The magician has the power, and the responsibility, to control the message ... to direct the viewers' thinking.

Ohh, ya I guess so. I am just kind of running something to have the song keep going actually (like our happy life still keep going and going). Otherwise, I would end the song like most good act that finish right at the end of the music. didn't expect people to completely finish watching till the very end ha.
I was thinking about putting our photos of our good memory at the end instead of the credits but for privacy reasons since I posted the video on the internet, I try not to put personal photo.
But I'll make one with the pictures for sure.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » My propose video (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL