The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Chris Philpott's Intimate Mysteries (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of Chris Philpott
Hey guys --

My brand new book, Intimate Mysteries – Double Kokos, Confessional Confabulations and the Visualization Tango, is now available for a limited edition "pre-release" at a special price of $35 (regular price $55) exclusively at my website (for details visit http://www.magicaonline.com/intimate_mysteries.htm ).

Here’s the blurb:

"Tremendously powerful!" "Excellent!" "Very, very cool!" “Blow away your audience!”

18 killer effects exploring three new techniques by award-winning writer, director and magician Chris Philpott. Strong, personal and memorable magic.

Intimate Mysteries explores magic done not just in the spectator’s hands and minds, but with their lives. These effects are fun, fascinating and often moving to experience while being entertaining and dramatic to witness – some have nearly as many plot twists and revealed secrets as a Dan Brown novel! These unique effects can be done close-up or on stage -- some are impromptu and propless, some are for cards and others can be done with props like Mental Epic and confabulation devices. Most are suitable for all spectators but several are very intimate and for mature audiences only.

Some of the effects in Intimate Mysteries:

The Roller Coaster
You guide the spectator through a visualization that uncovers aspects of their personality – but then the twist: they’ve also been unknowingly choosing a card the whole time – and you have correctly predicted every choice they made!

“My fave routine is The Roller Coaster. First of all it's a great way to get into a card trick, without stating it's a card trick. The routine is so brilliantly structured as to at first, intrigue, psychologically unsettle and then blow away your audience. An extra bonus is that it will hopefully create a welcome respite from bloody invisible deck routines. Worth the price of the book.”
- Steve Valentine, Two-time Magic Castle Close Up Magician of the Year

The Open Door
A simple story leads to a profound revelation about your spectator.

“I would love to include The Open Door in Scripting Magic 2. What a great example of the power of scripting. The kind of experience that it creates is tremendously powerful.”
- Pete McCabe

FAAA (Force Anything, Anytime, Anywhere)

An incredibly powerful new technique with virtually unlimited possibilities! One spectator secretly thinks of anything and another spectator reveals what it is! No pre-show, no confederates, no instant-stooges – can be done impromptu for just two people and they will both be amazed.

“This is where magic stops being just tricks and starts freaking people out!”
-Den Shewman, Former Editor-in-Chief, Creative Screenwriting Magazine

Cold Equivoque
The way a spectator chooses a card becomes an incredibly revealing experience – and you predict not only the card, but the spectator’s personality traits!

"It's excellent! Thanks for sharing such a well thought out, practical routine."
-Richard Webster

“Those that do equivoque and want to use your reading ideas will love this stuff.”
-Greg Arce

The Visualization Tango
A technique for guided visualization and equivoque.

“This book will open up many doors for those wanting to use equivoque... and it will teach them how to get to the correct door while doing it… I think these are great stories! Very, very cool ideas in here.”
-Greg Arce

This is my first release since The Tossed Out Book Test (One of Jheff's Marketplace of the Mind, Ten Best Mentalist Releases of 2012; "Frankly, if this had been mine, I would not have sold it, but kept it for myself." - Richard Osterlind)

Order soon to ensure the low pre-release price of $35 ($20 off). You can order and find more information at http://www.magicaonline.com/intimate_mysteries.htm

Thanks!

-Chris
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2206 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
Good luck with the book Chris. Sounds like some interesting items.
Also, your film & magic blog is quite good. As someone who acts,
I had never heard of Rudolph Laban. Thanks for the inspiration
to research his works.

Chad
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
When does the price change?
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Thanks, Chad. I haven't been blogging as much since I've started writing for Magic Magazine. I have an article in the current issue called "The Joy of Failure" and will have a cool two-parter on performing magic at fringe festivals coming out in the August and September issues.

Hey Magic Maddy -- the price will change when this first run of books runs out. Based on today's sales, that would take about 10 days, though I expect sales to slow down (it's kind of like opening weekend at the movies) so this price may last a month.

-Chris
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Thanks Chris, if you don't mind, I'm going to Pm you real quick
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Don't mind a bit, Maddy.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12071 Posts

Profile of John C
Sounds like stuff Im interested in. I'm in. Look forward to the book.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Thanks, John -- hope you like it!
thethirteensteps
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of thethirteensteps
About how many of these are card tricks?
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Hey Thirteen Steps --

About half the effects are for cards. There are a variety of different handlings so that any of the effects can be done impromptu with a borrowed deck with a few simple sleights you probably already know, but most can also be done sleight-free with things like The Invisible Deck.

-Chris
thethirteensteps
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Just sent you a pm.
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Got it – back at ya.

The effects in here are suited to both close up and stage because the multiple-prediction structure is so pervasive in magic and mentalism: impromptu one-ahead routines with post-it notes, mental epic, confabulation routines, etc.

What I’m dealing with in the Confessional Confabulation section of the book is a new strategy for these questions: it appears like the spectator is making an innocent choice but it turns out it is actually very revealing. Sometimes the questions are similar (choosing three animals in three different environments) and sometimes they seem to have nothing to do with each other and it’s only at the end that you reveal they are intricately connected – and this effect has not just been about you knowing what thing they would choose, but you having deep insights into the spectator’s personality. Just like a real mind reader would.

That makes it sound heavy – these are actually a lot of fun.

Hope that helps!

-Chris
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4895 Posts

Profile of RNK
I am anxious to see how Chris's "Cold Equivoque" compares to SPOKEN. This book has 18 effects and is $35.00 now, $55.00 later.
RNK
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4895 Posts

Profile of RNK
I am anxious to see how Chris's "Cold Equivoque" compares to SPOKEN. This book has 18 effects and is $35.00 now, $55.00 later whereas SPOKEN is $27 and some change.

RNK
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

I'm curious myself, RNK. I haven't seen it, though it sounds intriguing.

-Chris
thethirteensteps
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Quote:
The routine is so brilliantly structured as to at first, intrigue, psychologically unsettle and then blow away your audience. An extra bonus is that it will hopefully create a welcome respite from bloody invisible deck routines.”
- Steve Valentine

I'm not sure what the comment about invisible decks mean. Are these effects for the invisible deck?
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

The effects in the "Double Koko" section can be adapted to use with the Invisible Deck. Koko, in this phrase comes from “kokology” -- I'll just copy in Pete McCabe's introduction to one of the effects, “The Open Door” in his upcoming Scripting Magic 2:

“Well, let’s start by talking about what the hell Kokology means. For some of you this is very familiar, although you may not know it by that name. It refers to a group of 'personality tests,' where you ask a person to make a series of choices, which end up revealing things about their personality. It got its name from a series of best-selling Japanese books, which were based on the psychological theories of Freud and Jung.

Typically, the person being tested is guided through a brief scenario during which they make a series of decisions. Afterwards, the decisions are analyzed to see what hidden attitudes they reveal about various subjects. One key factor is that the spectator does not know what the choices mean until after the test is completed. In fact, usually the subject doesn’t even know they’re taking a personality test until it’s all over. The basic idea is that people will reveal more about certain subjects if they don’t know how much they are revealing. Often the most revealing part of the process is the conversation after, while you are revealing what their answers mean.

If you have heard of this, it is probably in one of the many “How to Pick Up Women” books that describe a Kokology game called “the Cube.” In this one you imagine yourself in the desert, and you see a cube; describe it. After that you imagine a ladder, some flowers, a horse, and a storm. Each item is analyzed as a specific part of your life…

That’s pretty much as far as Kokology went, from its invention as a tool for psychologists, to its status as a favored tool of pick-up artists.

And then Chris Philpott got a hold of it.

A lot of you will know Chris from one of his marketed tricks or his articles in Magic Magazine, but I was lucky enough to meet him at the Elders, a group of Mentalists who meet monthly in Los Angeles. In his day job, Chris is a movie director and writer, and he immediately understood the strength of the basic Kokology routine. People love stories in which seemingly random things happen, which then turn out to be meaningful. This kind of action is a staple of the movies. There’s something about that moment when it slowly dawns on you what’s really happening. Audiences love those kind of revelations.

Well, Chris figured out a way to give your audience that experience twice. The first time is in the normal course of Chris’s unique Kokology game. The second is when the audience realizes… well, I don’t want to ruin it for you. Just read it.”

-Pete McCabe

The Double part of the term refers to the fact that there is a second, secret revelation during the effect -- the person is secretly choosing a card as they are revealing aspects of their personality.

-Chris
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4895 Posts

Profile of RNK
Just ordered. I will post my thoughts after reading this.

A lot of intriguing material in this book. Looking forward to it!

RNK
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Cool -- thanks, RNK. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

-Chris
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4895 Posts

Profile of RNK
Ok. I have been reading this- I should have been done with it- but you know how it is- get crazy busy and side-tracked. These are my initial thoughts on the book- not final. I really enjoy Chris's writing- his style makes the reading easy and enjoyable. Everything I have read is very well written and explained.

The book is comprised of three sections. Two of the sections are using what Chris terms "kokologies". "Kokologies are psychological games in which a reader guides a subject through a visualization that turns out to have more meaning than is immediately apparent." That being said- the first section of the book covers routines in which Chris (and others) lay out a journey (story) that guides the spectator through a visualization process that includes aspects of their life which turns out to create a more in depth meaning for the spectator than just "think" of a card- and the revelation of the card by the magician. The routines are a process by which the spectator truly feels "including" and "part of" of the effect rather than just a specimen to which you are doing an effect on. As Chris states the spectator and all watching will feel that they are truly engaged and making truly their own choices throughout the process. And all the choices from the questions within the story being made by the spectator throughout the process will specifically relate to the spectator's personal self. From this Chris explains what each choice the spectator made and how it relates to their personal self allowing you to not just make this a prediction of a thought of card but go further into cold reading of the spectator. The first section is all about choices the spectator makes during a story which the magician lays out to the spectator offering different choices for each question asked by the magician which will ultimately relates to a specific card thought of by the spectator (in addition to their own personal self) in which at the end is the card that was predicted by the magician. Chris lays out methods for ways to reveal all the "though of cards" by the spectator to be the one which in fact was the card the magician initially predicted and revealed.

I really like all the stories and journeys Chris (and others) writes about. They are all very practical, make sense, and are stories in which anybody will be able to relate to and find engaging.

That being said- if you are looking for a very different way to deeply engage a spectator through a journey that reveals not only a thought of card that was predicted but reveals personal traits about the spectator which can be used to take the routine further and give you the opportunity to do some cold readings- this section of the book accomplished that very nicely. A much refreshing twist on the "think of a card" plot.

The methods for revealing the thought of card are not new but I feel the stories and meaning behind them make using this method in a perfect way!

This is my review on the first section. Section 2 coming very soon.......

RNK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Chris Philpott's Intimate Mysteries (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL