The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Ooooooo...MOABT Pocket Sized (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
PointingOutTheObvious
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of PointingOutTheObvious
Quote:
On 2013-07-19 17:45, CarlZen wrote:
Quicknotist no worries this definitely fits in a clowns pocket...

How about a wizard's sleeve?
PointingOutTheObvious
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of PointingOutTheObvious
Oh brilliant. Ordered one. Thanks!
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2013-07-18 06:03, Circusman wrote:
Not sure such a size would really work here in the U.K. as it's not standard to us, so looks 'iffy'

I have the Looch 'Area' and found this a big problem altogether.

Think I'll stick to my HB Moabt.

I have never had a problem with AREA here in the USA....guess its just where we lay our hats. I always ask if they have a book I can use first. Smile
BaryBazz
View Profile
Loyal user
United Kingdom
213 Posts

Profile of BaryBazz
Can someone advise how much memory work does this require.

Barry
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Can't wait to pick this one up!
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Avocat
View Profile
Elite user
446 Posts

Profile of Avocat
To Barry: Not much memory work. Depending on your presentation, you might want to hide a crib sheet somewhere in your field of view.

You could print something out in a small font that would easily fit onto a Post-It note, or wrap around the barrel of a dry-erase pen or chalk-holder.

Personally, though, I didn't find the necessary set of words/associations that difficult to memorize.
roblane
View Profile
Special user
Say 'toast' five times, toast toast.....
845 Posts

Profile of roblane
I just received this today . OMG, buy it! Mother and Final flashback together , sound like a no brainer? 'Cos it is!
Definition of a Freudian slip; Saying one thing and meaning a "mother"!
DougNicols
View Profile
Special user
846 Posts

Profile of DougNicols
I'm frantically waiting for this to arrive today. The postman probably thinks I'm a stalker.
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
What's the print font size? Is it large enough to be easily read?
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
DougNicols
View Profile
Special user
846 Posts

Profile of DougNicols
Quote:
On 2013-08-07 12:45, Jerskin wrote:
What's the print font size? Is it large enough to be easily read?

From here: http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/MOABT.pdf

To make MOABT-PE text easy to read and easy to find words, we use:
Wide font (Palatino)
Large (11) point size
30 lines per page
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Thanks!
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
roblane
View Profile
Special user
845 Posts

Profile of roblane
I bought mine from Craig at Promystic and got a gorgeous routine courtesy of Michael Weber with it. Well chuffed!
ramoss
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of ramoss
Also purchased from Craig, but it hasn't arrived yet. Can't wait!
Bob
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
There are times when a product comes out that is so utterly "useable" and so devastatingly designed that it can go instantly into a performers repertoire. It doesn't happen often...especially with me. I'll spend anywhere from a few weeks to a year working on a routine for a new prop in close-up before ever putting it into my show.

It's certainly not the case with MOABT PE.

Initially, I wanted this item purely for walkabout. Since MOABT 2 has been a staple in my stage shows since I purchased it, I really liked the idea of being able to use it in close-up settings. Buying it was a "mentalist no-brainer." (Yup...pun intended.)

But it's much more than a close-up prop.

What do you get?

A paperback book that looks perfectly ordinary. It's designed to look like a murder mystery from a small publishing house. Not suspect at all, perfect right down to the bar code. (Yes, it'll fit into your jacket pocket.)

Not only do you get the very power of MOABT in a pocket sized edition -- you also get what I've long considered the second best book test on the market: Becker's brilliant FLASHBACK system.

Isn't that enough to justify the cost by itself?

But this edition goes one better -- because you get all of this at HALF the COST of the regular MOABT.

It doesn't get any better. This isn't a prop -- it's a gift to the whole mentalism community, with all the good stuff from MOABT and so very much more. Need I say it again? HALF THE COST.

There's no reason this can't play as powerfully onstage as the larger MOABT will. There's also no reason both of these great book tests can't be presented in the same show. The fish*ng and reveal need to be unique for each book -- but if you've worked with MOABT, you know that's no problem.

I love this item. LOVE it. Ted could have charged me more for this than the original Mother -- and I would still feel I got a bargain. Seriously brilliant..."use it in every show"....over the moon DELIGHTFUL prop.

From me it gets six billets out of five.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
I hadn't had my copy three hours when my beagle Max knocked over a cup of tea and baptized it. And actually did a great job of making it look even more authentic! Not too much, just enough to eliminate that "never been read" look, which I would have done one way or another. I may be sending Max to intern at Outlaw.

What a killer combo! And employing Josh Zandman's very cool adaptation of Flashback as used in his BT Christmas Carol gave me a big smile. For those who don't know, Josh was a student of Ted's when he was still teaching high school. I always liked his twist and it is a another part of what I like so much about MOABT PE.

Flashback ala Zandman plus MOABT makes for an exquisite combination in my book. And maybe I'm just being sentimental, but I am also really happy with the return to the original copy. Like seeing a dear old friend. Not to
mention being able to perform something so strong instantly.

Though no one need worry, even if they have never heard of any of the above BTs. Each, for all their strengths, have among the shortest learning curves as far as the basic mechanics go.

Add to that everything David wrote about the quality, flexibility and price, all of which I completely agree with, AND the very smart additions to the instructions, makes for an unusually gratifying and satisfying purchase. A big thanks for all the hard work that made MOABT PE possible. Kudos to everyone involved.
itsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
middle earth
1117 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
I just ordered this. Can't wait to get it.

It would be nice to have this or any BT converted to an eBook or PDF file so one could use this via tablet, iPad, Kindle, or smartphone.
roblane
View Profile
Special user
845 Posts

Profile of roblane
Quote:
On 2013-08-10 02:05, itsmagic wrote:
I just ordered this. Can't wait to get it.

It would be nice to have this or any BT converted to an eBook or PDF file so one could use this via tablet, iPad, Kindle, or smartphone.

Personally I think making this 'electronic' would be a grave mistake, people would assume all sorts of incorrect, but unswayable theories
cytoplasm
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of cytoplasm
Is this book test 100% examinable? By that I mean if I wanted to could I read it from cover to cover?
Avocat
View Profile
Elite user
446 Posts

Profile of Avocat
This last question may have been answered elsewhere, but I'll post this regardless: no, it cannot be read from cover to cover without exposing an absence of plot in the narrative

BUT

I've performed this dozens of times in a high school classroom as part of a lesson, and I deliberately left the book with the students to see who'd examine it. To date, no one has, and these are the most skeptical, cynical spectators any of us are likely to encounter.

It's about as perfect as a book test can be, in other words. BTW, I performed both the Flashback-based effect and the MOABT effect in succession when I did this. It was actually an effective build-up.

Last point: I performed the original MOABT similarly, also dozens of times. Twice, I had students keep reading it until they tipped to the suspicious number of similar words in the text. But after I placed a "legitimate" book jacket on it (Alison DuBois's memoirs), no examination ever occurred again.

So it seems you can indeed judge a book by its cover.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Ooooooo...MOABT Pocket Sized (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL