The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Reel for "silk through mike stand"? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Click Clark
View Profile
New user
Oklahoma
15 Posts

Profile of Click Clark
On Ammar's series on "thread miracles" he demonstrates "silk through microphone stand"; absolutely mind blowing. Does anyone actually do this one? What is the best reel for this? None of my reels will even come close to doing this. Not even my bill snatcher can move that fast. Any ideas? Also, a good "rocky racoon". The one I ordered is worthless. The spring inside mine is wrapped in plastic, for some reason; presumably to sheild the "hide" from being worn through by the metal spring. But it has no "springyness" to it. I need to know who sells a good, springy "Rocky", and hopefully other animals like a skunk, maybe. Thanks for any help. Click
chappelly
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
744 Posts

Profile of chappelly
The Tango reel does the job for me.

You can adjust the tension and thus the speed.

The only problem I have had with it was when the line snapped. It was a big event and quite embarrassing.

So obviously you need to check the line for wear and replace when needed.

Chappelly
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6722 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I have owned many. My best one was a Kirkendall. If you can find one, it's a gem!

Doug
Arsenal
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
81 Posts

Profile of Arsenal
I owned both Tango reel & El Duco reel. Both do the job fine.
Michael Ammar actually uses an El Duco reel
http://www.el-duco.se/en/articles/2.172.1742/swedish-reel

But the Tango reel is far cheaper than El Duco's.
ljsviol
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of ljsviol
Quote:
On 2013-09-14 06:15, Arsenal wrote:
I owned both Tango reel & El Duco reel. Both do the job fine.
Michael Ammar actually uses an El Duco reel
http://www.el-duco.se/en/articles/2.172.1742/swedish-reel

But the Tango reel is far cheaper than El Duco's.

Arsenal,
I've had a chance to play with an El Duco reel and found it to be "whisper-quiet", that is, it barely made any sound at all while retracting - very suitable for closeup TV as Ammar performed it. How would you compare the performance of the Tango reel regarding noise during operation?

Larry S.
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
618 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
I love my El Duco Reel. Quiet and Reliable!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
When my last P&L 'DIED', I went to Kirkendahl and have had no problems. I haven't seen El Duco or Tango, but friends tell me they are great.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Jon Blakeney
View Profile
Special user
Australia
657 Posts

Profile of Jon Blakeney
My Tango reel is still working fine after 100's of silk through wand,though the "o" ring at the end of the line is getting pinched real tight by Knot in the line it's self,and may cause a problem and break the "0"ring soon.
It's time to replace the "0" ring with the next size up,that should handle the retraction shock better,and the larger ring will still be covered well by the Knot in the silk (which does not get seen any way).

Chappelly,Hi, Was yhe break at the "0"ring or further down the line somewhere?
Jon
'What the eye's see the heart must believe"
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
In Denver, I have no less than
527 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
I use a reel (for name badges) I got at the dollar store. It works great, but it is a little noisy. If you work in a venue with a lot of ambient noise, it is not a problem. If you are concerned with noise, go with the El Duco.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22177 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The original maker of Rocky, to my knowledge, no longer makes them, they went out of business, a company called Magic Masters, that sold high priced props. Now there are several copies, and not good quality. Stiff feeling fur, lack of strong spring. Just stay away from Magic Makers Brand. It is really poor quality.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
robvh
View Profile
Elite user
Calgary, AB
445 Posts

Profile of robvh
Quote:
On Mar 29, 2014, Ba Ba Booey wrote:
I use a reel (for name badges) I got at the dollar store. It works great, but it is a little noisy. If you work in a venue with a lot of ambient noise, it is not a problem. If you are concerned with noise, go with the El Duco.

Or make a noise to cover the noise of the reel. A well timed word isn't out of place in a magic effect, is it?
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2014, robvh wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 29, 2014, Ba Ba Booey wrote:

Or make a noise to cover the noise of the reel. A well timed word isn't out of place in a magic effect, is it?

Hekk no! With the silk thru mike, I tell them, "I'll count to three!" Then, I count to three, and say "WATCH!" (LOUDLY!)
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
TravisNye
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of TravisNye
I love Ammars silk thru mic stand. However the reels are so expensive. I will definitely look into the tango reel.
bluesmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
217 Posts

Profile of bluesmagic
Don't buy this....the quality sucks ! http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S14741
It's noisy and it easily breaks ... believe me ... I know Smile
chappelly
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
744 Posts

Profile of chappelly
Chappelly,Hi, Was yhe break at the "0"ring or further down the line somewhere?
Jon [/quote]

The line just snapped through wear.

The o ring has gone as well.

But I still use it and it is still working quite well.

Chappelly
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Reel for "silk through mike stand"? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL