The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I am Being Followed - Am I "Profiling"? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Scenario: I am in a city, walking from a meeting to my hotel. It is getting dark. There are not many people on the street. I look behind me and there is someone walking in my same direction who:

1. is black and his pants are riding mid-thigh with his boxers showing. I speed up my pace and start looking for a taxi.
2. is white and is Goth/Emo looking with chains and piercings. I speed up my pace and start looking for a taxi.
3. is Hispanic and dressed nicely. I feel no reason to pick up my pace.
4. is of undeterminable race, dressed in a baseball uniform with "Furies" on the back and his face painted, and carrying a baseball bat. I run.
5. is white, wearing his motorcycle garb, and is with others dressed similarly. I quicken my pace slightly, but do not feel the need to hail a cab.
6. is white, dressed like she seems to be soliciting prostitution. I quicken my pace.
7. is black, drives up in a lowrider, with three other individuals of undeterminable race. Offensive rap music is blaring. He says, "Hey man, where can I find a bar?" I speed up and look for a police officer.

Which, if any, of these is "profiling"?
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
You watch too many crime TV shows. White men wearing suits in an inner city neighborhood are looked at as either salesmen or cops, and usually get ignored.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I watch no crime shows. As a matter of fact I watch no commercial television.

;o)
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Café rules say no political posts.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Clinton
The inner city is full of people of all races going about their business peacefully. What planet do you live on?
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
No, you are not profiling. Profiling is an institutional act whereby law enforcement and other agencies treat one group of innocent people differently than another group of innocent people.

A better example:

A white person is driving a porsche. You let the person proceed.
A black person is driving a porsche. You stop them on grounds of suspicion of theft.

That is profiling.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Quote:
On 2013-07-17 11:46, Al Angello wrote:
Clinton
The inner city is full of people of all races going about their business peacefully. What planet do you live on?

I'm not sure what you're asking or what you think my intention is in asking the question. I have been listening to all of the commentary about Trayvon Martin and the "ghosts" this case has conjured up, and am simply wondering which of the fictitious situations would be considered an unreasonable or unwarranted course of action, based on appearances.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
George Zimmerman, as far as the evidence shows, was not RACIALLY profiling Trayvon Martin. This was a lie concocted by the media right from the start with the malicious editing of the 911 call. This has been admitted to, and apologized for, and yet it is almost ALL the coverage for the incident and ensuing case, and ongoing reaction to, has focused on.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-07-17 11:50, Slide wrote:
A white person is driving a porsche. You let the person proceed.
A black person is driving a porsche. You stop them on grounds of suspicion of theft.

That is profiling.

When I was 19 I was driving a Porsche 911 and was pulled over by an Orange, CA policeman. When I rolled down the window he asked (rather pointedly), "Whose car is this?"

"Mine, officer."

"License and registration!"

I handed over the papers, he strolled back to his patrol car, returned a few minutes later, and, in a much calmer tone, said, "Wow! It is your car!"

"I pulled you over because the car lurched a bit when you changed gears; these cars aren't easy to drive if you aren't used to them, so I figured you might have stolen it."

"The clutch cable broke, and the shop won't have one in for a few days. So I've been driving it without a clutch. Changing gears is a bit tricky, but I'm getting by."

"OK. Be careful; you don't want to ruin the transmission."
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
You were in Orange county, and the cop stopped you for driving an ordinary old Porsche. If your parents had any sense of style it would have been a Maserati.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
""I pulled you over because the car lurched a bit when you changed gears; these cars aren't easy to drive if you aren't used to them, so I figured you might have stolen it."
"

White people get pulled over because there is a reason.
Black people get pulled over for being black.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-07-17 12:50, Al Angello wrote:
You were in Orange county, and the cop stopped you for driving an ordinary old Porsche. If your parents had any sense of style it would have been a Maserati.

You do make a lot of (unsubstantiated, and incorrect) assumptions:

It wasn't an old Porsche. It was a 1977; the stop occurred in 1978.

What have my parents to do with anything? I bought the car, not they.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-07-17 12:52, Slide wrote:
""I pulled you over because the car lurched a bit when you changed gears; these cars aren't easy to drive if you aren't used to them, so I figured you might have stolen it."
"

White people get pulled over because there is a reason.
Black people get pulled over for being black.

In fact, the reason that he'd been following (profiling?) me was that I was a 19-year-old driving a new Porsche.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2800 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Not a problem because the black cops pull over the white drivers, so it all balances out. Smile

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I'm sorry for misjudging you. When I was 19 years old I was hitch hiking, and the cops used stop to give me rides, but this was the early 1960's, and nobody really committed crimes back then.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
" the reason that he'd been following (profiling?) me was that I was a 19-year-old driving a new Porsche"

I thought you said he pulled you over because you were driving erratically as if you didn't know how to drive it. How would the cop be able to tell you were 19 as you were driving past?
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-07-17 13:31, Slide wrote:
" the reason that he'd been following (profiling?) me was that I was a 19-year-old driving a new Porsche"

I thought you said he pulled you over because you were driving erratically as if you didn't know how to drive it. How would the cop be able to tell you were 19 as you were driving past?

I don't know when he first saw me, but apparently he concluded that I was rather young to be driving that car, so he decided to follow me. I don't know for certain that he could tell that I was 19. Perhaps he thought that I was 16, 17, or 18.

When I didn't shift smoothly, he decided to pull me over.

Two separate actions: follow (young driver), pull over (shifting roughly).
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Sounds to me like the policeman was pretty understanding and respectful once he found out the truth. I would rather he err on the side of caution and stop me than let every suspicious person pass by with no action whatsoever.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-07-17 13:38, ClintonMagus wrote:
Sounds to me like the policeman was pretty understanding and respectful once he found out the truth.

He was, indeed.

Quote:
On 2013-07-17 13:38, ClintonMagus wrote:
I would rather he err on the side of caution and stop me than let every suspicious person pass by with no action whatsoever.

I agree with you: much like having someone ask for my ID when I use my credit card. If I had stolen the car, I'm sure that the owner would have been ticked if the officer had had the opportunity to recover it and did nothing; I'd have been ticked if I were in that position.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2013-07-17 13:06, TomBoleware wrote:
Not a problem because the black cops pull over the white drivers, so it all balances out. Smile

Tom

Actually, disgusting as it is, there is also a prominence of racism towards "black" "citizens" by "black" police.
The police are their own class.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I am Being Followed - Am I "Profiling"? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL