The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I am Being Followed - Am I "Profiling"? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
foreva.infiniti
View Profile
Regular user
6 Posts a + a 6 Posts =
116 Posts

Profile of foreva.infiniti
What an offensive thread. This is the problem with society.
Colors are Foreva. Numbers are Infinite. 4 every number there's a color. HEY! Eternity! Lets smoke a beer and drink some loud. But wait! I heard you was a six a plus a 6 ahhhh.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"Two separate actions: follow (young driver), pull over (shifting roughly)."

The difference is that, in the case of a black man or woman, the two actions are the same. Suspician and Reseaonable Cause are triggered by "he/she is black".

And, my guess is, that at your age, you would not draw any suspician driving the Porsche, while a person of color never out grows the thing that "profiles" them: the color of their skin. So while you can now drive your fancy car without suspician, minorities in this country are not offered the same consideration.
foreva.infiniti
View Profile
Regular user
6 Posts a + a 6 Posts =
116 Posts

Thank you.
Colors are Foreva. Numbers are Infinite. 4 every number there's a color. HEY! Eternity! Lets smoke a beer and drink some loud. But wait! I heard you was a six a plus a 6 ahhhh.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Police have handy pretexts ERRRRR reasons regardless of whether the driver is white or black.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
foreva.infiniti
View Profile
Regular user
6 Posts a + a 6 Posts =
116 Posts

That may be so but to think they don't consider race is EXTREMELY naive.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-07-17 17:56, Slide wrote:
. . . at your age. . . .

What's that supposed to mean?

;)
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-07-17 17:56, Slide wrote:
"Two separate actions: follow (young driver), pull over (shifting roughly)."

The difference is that, in the case of a black man or woman, the two actions are the same. Suspician and Reseaonable Cause are triggered by "he/she is black".

And, my guess is, that at your age, you would not draw any suspician driving the Porsche, while a person of color never out grows the thing that "profiles" them: the color of their skin. So while you can now drive your fancy car without suspician, minorities in this country are not offered the same consideration.

You seem to be taking my original post far too seriously.

I wasn't suggesting that my situation was at all comparable to that of a black man/woman/boy/girl. I simply found your original example to be a remarkable coincidence to a situation that I experienced; if you'd written "Ferrari" instead of "Porsche" (or, as Al suggested, "Maserati"), I'd never have commented.

(By the way, the car I drive wouldn't be classified a "fancy". It's a 12-year-old Honda S2000 with 201,000 miles on it.)
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
Bill, you drove a new Porsche when you were 19, now you drive a Honda with 201,000 miles? You must have kids!! Smile
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-07-18 00:50, Daryl -the other brother wrote:
Bill, you drove a new Porsche when you were 19, now you drive a Honda with 201,000 miles? You must have kids!! Smile

We sold the Porsche when our daughter was born; we could fit two adults, two kids (in car seats), one collie, and a week's worth of groceries into the Porsche, but not three kids. (No third seat in the back.)

My wife cried when we sold it.

The kids are grown and have moved out since. We bought the Honda in '01 and have put all but about 7 of the miles on it. As much fun as the Porsche was to drive, the Honda has it beat, hands down. (When Road & Track magazine did a comparison of the Porsche Boxster, Audi TT, BMW Z3, and Mercedes 230 SLK, they decided they wanted a fifth car in the comparison, so they tossed in an S2000. When the final results were tabulated, the Porsche won, and the Honda came in second. The margin of victory? Less than the difference between the scores for trunk space. And the Porsche has two trunks to the Honda's one.)
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16235 Posts

Profile of tommy
I have cool police training manual here somewhere. I have garage full of books and it's probably in there and I will try and dig it out and tell you some of things in it. From memory anyway, it is written by one the best Scotland Yard detectives, who looked carefully into the “instinct” of good cops. Some cops could not explain why they had stopped someone but were normally right to do so. In doing so he discovered some fascinating details. I guess one might call them profiling but really its detective work, like Sherlock Holmes reasoning. The devil is in the detail, little things that tell you when someone is up to no good.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
"You've been in Afghanistan, I perceive."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16235 Posts

Profile of tommy
Smile

'You know my method. It is founded upon the observation of trifles.'
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1830 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
We also owned an S2000. It definitely is a great car. Near perfect weight balance. In 2000 it had the most horsepower per litre of any normally aspirated engine. An absolute joy to drive.
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-07-18 09:27, Kevin Ridgeway wrote:
We also owned an S2000. It definitely is a great car. Near perfect weight balance. In 2000 it had the most horsepower per litre of any normally aspirated engine. An absolute joy to drive.

Several years ago I performed at a "Ferrari" show (I put "Ferrari" in quotes because they also had Lamborghinis, a Ford GT, and several other exotic cars there, in addition to a number of Ferraris). The car I drove to the show - the S2000 - put out more horsepower per litre than 95% of the exotics at the show.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Thanks for the information about the Honda S2000, sir. Definitely something to think about!
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-07-18 10:14, Woland wrote:
Thanks for the information about the Honda S2000, sir. Definitely something to think about!

Alas, they're not making them anymore.

However, they're durable. (They are, after all, Hondas.) Mine has 201k miles on the original engine, despite putting out almost 2 horsepower per cubic inch. (Remember when the state of the art - the 427 Cobra - was one horsepower per cubic inch?) You can find great, used, S2000s for a good price, with tons of life left in them.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Do you drive your Honda when you perform?
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-07-18 10:52, Al Angello wrote:
Do you drive your Honda when you perform?

If I'm doing a close-up show, yes.

If I'm doing a parlor show, no: I take the minivan.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I am Being Followed - Am I "Profiling"? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL