The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I would hope that... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
I would hope that the latest issues of "Rolling Stone" rots on the news stands. Look as like they are trying to make Tsarnaev look like a celebrity rock star. Shows people will sell their soul for the almighty dollar. Better they put a pile of dog crap on the cover. People would still know who it represents.

http://now.msn.com/rolling-stone-dzhokha......iticized
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27112 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
What's the focus of the article?

Surely you aren't condoning judging a book by its cover.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Yes, because an article titled "The Bomber: How a popular, promising student was failed by his family, fell into radical Islam and became a MONSTER." (emphasis mine) is pulling at America's heart strings and trying to evoke sympathy. Or do you have a different definition to the word "monster" that I am unaware of? Perhaps you thought he was going to one of those big truck rallies?

Did you even read the article? Or did you base your opinion solely by the pretty picture on the cover?

Rolling Stone is known for its in depth coverage of stories and issues glossed over or ignored by the main stream media. It's coverage of the recent financial crisis and it's causes and ramifications were particularly good reading.

I look forward to reading this article as well as it looks to delve into the reasons why this individual became radicallized and what steps might be taken to keep this from happening in the future.

I'm going out to purchase a copy right now.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2013-07-17 11:04, Payne wrote:
Yes, because an article titled "The Bomber: How a popular, promising student was failed by his family, fell into radical Islam and became a MONSTER." (emphasis mine) is pulling at America's heart strings and trying to evoke sympathy. Or do you have a different definition to the word "monster" that I am unaware of? Perhaps you thought he was going to one of those big truck rallies?

Did you even read the article? Or did you base your opinion solely by the pretty picture on the cover?

Probably at least some of the offended people think that Rolling Stone is profiling Tsarnaev's band or musical tastes or something like that.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27112 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2013-07-17 11:12, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-07-17 11:04, Payne wrote:

Probably at least some of the offended people think that Rolling Stone is profiling Tsarnaev's band or musical tastes or something like that.

some folks seem to believe it's important to have an opinion and express it in public... A civil right even... Perhaps even when it would take too long to have an informed or considered opinion. ??
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Magazines have been putting monsters on the cover of their publications since there have been magazines. I'm sure that the news publications of Lincoln's time had pictures of John Wilkes Booth on their covers too.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Breitbart has been using glamorous photos of one or the other Tsarnaev to illustrate its lead stories for months, e.g.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/......Islamism

Where is the outrage?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2013-07-17 11:20, Jonathan Townsend wrote:

some folks seem to believe it's important to have an opinion and express it in public... A civil right even... Perhaps even when it would take too long to have an informed or considered opinion. ??

Sounds like an apt description of the Tsarnaev brothers. Though they obviously took it to an extreme.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim

The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
HA HA HA
Thank you John

OK WHAT IS THE NEXT BOONDOGGLE?????
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I seriously suspect that those who are screaming the loudest about this have never bothered to read Rolling Stone (including those who are claiming to cancel their non-existent "subscriptions.")

It's usually a good idea to actually read an article before condemning it.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-07-17 14:07, mastermindreader wrote:

But less efficient and, if you had to buy a copy of the magazine, less economical.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
First off I did not read the article. So yes I judged the book by its cover. However it looks like he is definitely made to look...how should I say, rock starish (a new word). As an example posted here look at the cover of George Manson. Not really glamourized is he? Although some may find it appealing. A negative view (such as Manson was depicted) of the bomber would have been much better in expressing what he is. Of course they are trying to sell papers any way they can.

I am also guilty of purchasing Playboy by many of its covers only to find interesting articles months later. Smile

Jonathan sorry to say, yes I was judging a book by its cover. Having said that, I do hope the article does not show him as a person who was pushed into his way of thinking and had no choice and should be forgiven.

Payne, no I did not read the article. After you read it would you please let us know what you think of it. By that I mean do you feel the article was in any way biased. I just don't want to buy it because of the cover...I know I should not feel that way but that is jut me on this issue. I can only ask how would you feel if Zimmerman was shown in this same light on the cover?
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

I think that the high school year book style photo used on the cover depicts a rather normal and good looking guy. But it perfectly illustrates the banality of evil. And that, I think, was the intent.

IMO, of course.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Quote:
On 2013-07-17 14:07, mastermindreader wrote:

I disagree. What you suggest may grossly interfere with my prejudices.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
If you don't want to read the article here's a nice quick summary in 50 seconds for you.

http://www.breitbart.com/InstaBlog/2013/......ne-Piece
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

I think I'll wait until Friday when the Rolling Stone hits the news stands and then I'll read the actual article.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
It was reported that the picture was a selfie, not what I'd call a glamour shot. I really don't care for the "family failed him" line. I don't want to take it out of context without seeing the article but my knee jerk reaction is irritation.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16113 Posts

Profile of tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I would hope that... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL