The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I would hope that... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-07-19 13:37, Slide wrote:
Did anyone complain about this cover? http://www.amazon.com/Esquire-Magazine-S......054FB8HA

Magazines have been using this type of cover since the beginning of magazines.

And lunatik, I'm sorry you felt sexually turned on by the Rolling Stone cover. I didn't. I guess sex is in the eye of the beholder. It reminds me of the Cherrios commercial. I kept hearing there was controversy over a Cherrios commercial and for the life of me I couldn't figure out what the problem was. Finally my daughter pointed out to me that the couple of bi-racial. I didn't even notice and I had seen the commercial a dozen times or more. You see what you want to see based on your own proclivities.

What the he77 is your point of the pic you posted. Do you feel that is a glamorous pose. Looks like he is saying the Pledge of Allegiance.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5006 Posts

Profile of landmark
? I was up for the draft to Vietnam and I'm way younger (okay, somewhat younger, but probably better preserved) than Al, Aces, BobC, Bob1Dog, and Whit. Unfortunately, as you well know, the troops were sent there for quite some time.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-07-19 19:20, landmark wrote:
? I was up for the draft to Vietnam and I'm way younger (okay, somewhat younger, but probably better preserved) than Al, Aces, BobC, Bob1Dog, and Whit. Unfortunately, as you well know, the troops were sent there for quite some time.

You are correct. Try 1963-1966

I believe the draft ended in 1972 or 73. However I was not drafted. I enlisted.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Acesover
You should learn to play nice with the other boys.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Excerpt from my morning paper:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/commentar......3331137/

When the Rolling Stone cover’s infuriating, nothing really is ...

It’s so unfair that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev doesn’t look like a terrorist. Outrageous, really. If only he had mad, rolling eyes or a swastika on his forehead, then we would know, in an instant, that he was evil within and without.

Mr. Tsarvnaev, accused with his late brother Tamerlan in the fatal bombing at the Boston Marathon, is on the cover of the current Rolling Stone magazine. This has caused outrage, and there have been calls for a boycott of the magazine. Some retailers have refused to sell the issue, thus protecting consumers from the heinous scourge of reported facts. Mr. Tsarnaev is a handsome young man – “dreamy,” “like a rock star,” in the words of critics who cannot abide an accused criminal not covered in warts and scales.

Nobody seems to be offended by the fact that Mr. Tsarnaev, who has not yet been put on trial and has pleaded not guilty to all 30 charges, is condemned on the cover of Rolling Stone, which calls him “the bomber” and “a monster.” He may well be, but there’s a little thing called “a trial” we might want to conduct.

Outrage is like a good wine: It’s so satisfying, and after the first glass, you always want a bit more. I’m considering opening a vineyard and calling it The Grapes of Wrath. Just out of curiosity, I picked an arbitrary year, 1996, and searched the Factiva news database for instances of the words outrage, outraged and outrageous: There were 59,479 mentions. But in the past 12 months, there were 213,419 mentions. This is hardly scientific, I know. Feel free to be offended by my specious methods. Start a petition! Your neighbour probably has the forms.

It used to be so much harder to express moral indignation. You’d have to gather a bucket of turnip peelings and march down to the village green to hurl them at the weird old crone who had, almost certainly, turned Widow Smith’s cat into a pumpkin. Now Twitter and Facebook have brought the village green to our fingertips.

Here is just a recent and random sampling of some of the things that have provoked outrage around the world: Barack Obama’s tweeting on Ramadan, seen as hypocritical in light of his drone policy; Andy Murray’s being described as the first Englishman to win Wimbledon in 77 years (och, the Scots didn’t like that); Andy Murray being labelled the first Brit to win Wimbledon in 77 years (Virgina Wade won the women’s title in 1977); Justin Bieber and his pail of wee (no explanation necessary).

Two cricketers in Wales were reported to be so offended they weren’t allowed to speak Welsh during a match that they “knocked the stumps and stormed off” in the village of Crymych. I’d be more offended that my town couldn’t afford vowels, but that’s just me. This week, Japan was reportedly outraged after being accused of lying about its whaling policy. I imagine an entire country with its arms crossed, taking a day of snit leave.

It’s instructive to look at a few of the things that caused temporary hysteria in the recent past: Chick-fil-A vs. the Muppets; LeBron James’s ego; BP CEO Tony Hayward’s complaint that the Gulf of Mexico oil spill was totally harshing his mellow (“I’d like my life back,” he said, as his company’s faulty equipment spewed oil into the water). One minute there’s outrage over chemical weapons in Syria, the next over racism on Big Brother. On the wings of social media, they achieve equal hysterical velocity. When everything is infuriating, nothing really is.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2013-07-19 13:37, Slide wrote:
Did anyone complain about this cover? http://www.amazon.com/Esquire-Magazine-S......054FB8HA

I'd be stunned if the correct answer to this question is "No."
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2013-07-19 19:34, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-07-19 19:20, landmark wrote:

You are correct. Try 1963-1966

I believe the draft ended in 1972 or 73. However I was not drafted. I enlisted.

The draft did in fact end in 1973. But troops were drafted and sent to Vietnam way beyond 1963-1966. With the end of active U.S. ground participation in Vietnam, December 1972 saw the last men conscripted, who were born in 1952.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Acesover
I was in Vietnam in 1966 and I don't remember seeing you. Are you sure you were there?
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-07-20 12:22, Al Angello wrote:
Acesover
I was in Vietnam in 1966 and I don't remember seeing you. Are you sure you were there?

I was there but would like to forget. Lots of memories I would just as soon forget. Thank you for your service. Glad you made it back. I never knew that about you.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I enlisted at the age of 17, and I also extended my duty for an extra 8 months to do the around the world cruise, and off shore bombardment of north Vietnam.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-07-20 21:48, Al Angello wrote:
I enlisted at the age of 17, and I also extended my duty for an extra 8 months to do the around the world cruise, and off shore bombardment of north Vietnam.

I am seeing a whole other Al. Again thanks for serving.

I guess we can still agree to disagree but I won't be a bast@5D toward you any more. I will try and disagree more amicably.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

I ENLISTED as well, shorty after Al did. So did many on this forum.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-07-20 23:51, mastermindreader wrote:

Oh come on. I can't be nice to everyone. Smile Love you guys.

I still am probably the oldest. Turned 70 in May.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6819 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I'm 57, enlisted in Nov '72. I know of what you speak...

Balducci, that was one BRILLIANT post! I have to admit, you made me laugh out loud at:

Quote:

...Two cricketers in Wales were reported to be so offended they weren’t allowed to speak Welsh during a match that they “knocked the stumps and stormed off” in the village of Crymych. I’d be more offended that my town couldn’t afford vowels, but that’s just me...

Oh, man (wiping tears), that one just KILLS me! I gotta use that (I'm part Welsh). I don't want to get into a debate about rascism, but the "Stand Your Ground" laws are being challenged! Oh, if some scumbag tries to rob you, you can't blow the M*****-F*****'s head off? So what if he's not ARMED? How do YOU know? Hand in pocket, finger pointed at you? Ha! I wouldn't take the chance. BAM! Done. No regrets.

Oh, but now, everyone screams bloody murder because the kid (?) was "of color". Right. So, society has a reason to yell because of Rolling Stone? I think it's all an excuse. People LOOK for things to be outraged about. Yeah. Every time I see that yukka-puck's face, it makes me angry. But, this is America. Rolling Stone has every right to print what they want. I just have to learn to look away.

Doug
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Hi Doug,

There is considerable truth in your comments. I do think that the glamorizing of an enemy terrorist, however, does amount to aiding and abetting an enemy who wants to destroy our country, our freedoms, and our culture. Incidentally, the free culture that permits magazines like this to be published in the first place.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Bob
You served a tour of duty in the service, went to college, went to law school, and in your spare time you are a world famous mentalist?

Where the hell do you find the time to post here?

I will be 68 in about a month.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-07-21 09:39, Al Angello wrote:
Bob
You served a tour of duty in the service, went to college, went to law school, and in your spare time you are a world famous mentalist?

Where the hell do you find the time to post here?

I will be 68 in about a month.

I don't do anywhere near as many shows as I used to. I spend most of my time writing, consulting and doing private workshops.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-07-19 14:49, mastermindreader wrote:
Hi Bob-

Fair enough!

Bob,

OK, in fairness to you and my comments, and in following up, it took me seven stops in my rural Delaware to finally find a copy of Rolling Stone today. I don't know why I couldn't find it and most of the clerks whom I asked if they normally carried it didn't have a clue. In any event I found it at a supermarket two towns away.

I've only read the "Jihar" Tsnaraev story, which isn't a quick read. I haven't read anything else yet except to quickly scan some of the stories. I'm not really an entertainment news kind of guy. I'll read the global warming piece to see where that goes, but that's about it.

Again, in fairness, I will admit that today Rolling Stone is not a tabloid, either in mechanical or journalistic format, compared to the one I remember of the sixties and seventies. As I've previously admitted, I never read it then and I think the only reason I learned of it was from Dr. Hook's putting it on the charts and perhaps perusing an issue or two while stationed in the missile fields in Montana.

As for the terrorist's picture on the front page? I'm still tossed. I believe Rolling Stone still appears to be a magazine primarily devoted to the music and entertainment industry and for The Bomber being on the front page seems sensational to me. I'll not go as far as to say tabloid. And the use of the "f" word no less than eight times during the story just doesn't strike me as respectable journalism. Just my opinion. But the usage is a fact. Smile

I also find that the author goes out of his way to convince the reader that Jihar was brainwashed by his brother and was not the kind of person who would normally commit the horrendous act he did, and that his brother was the real evil one here. In my opinion the magazine is positioning itself on the left side of the aisle by in attempting to show "Jihar" as one of the victims here. I could cite numerous quotes from the article, but I'd really rather not go there. But that's fine, right wing publications do the same thing. I merely wanted you to know that I'm a reasonable man of my word.

And I still don't find Rolling Stone a magazine I'd be interested in reading. But thanks for pushing me to have a look at it. Smile Fair enough?
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27112 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2013-07-21 09:07, Dougini wrote:
... People LOOK for things to be outraged about. ...

And then to verbulate about in public, at length, as if "Ain't It Awful" performed in public in some way equates to constructive dialog.

Okay that was horrible but did you see the story about...
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-07-20 23:51, mastermindreader wrote:

I enlisted, 1967-1971, didn't serve in Nam, but fought the cold war in Alaska and Montana.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I would hope that... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.33 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL