The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I would hope that... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2013-07-21 21:27, Bob1Dog wrote:

And the use of the "f" word no less than eight times during the story just doesn't strike me as respectable journalism. Just my opinion. But the usage is a fact. Smile

There are many respected, award winning newspapers around the world (outside of the USA anyway) that use the "f" word. Not in every article, and only when it makes sense. For instance, if someone being interviewed uses the word it is not censored or starred out in the reporting. The main national newspaper here in Canada, The Globe and Mail, (which by the way is much more conservative than it is liberal) does this. That was the case of the Rolling Stone article, it only used the word when it was quoting what someone else and that person happened to use it.

Just saying.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6819 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2013-07-21 21:31, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
...as if "Ain't It Awful" performed in public in some way equates to constructive dialog.

Yep! Totally agree. Jonathan, you must be familiar with "Games People Play", by psychiatrist Eric Berne from 1964. Another real problem is the game, "Let's You & Him Fight".

Doug
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-07-22 09:30, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-07-21 21:27, Bob1Dog wrote:

And the use of the "f" word no less than eight times during the story just doesn't strike me as respectable journalism. Just my opinion. But the usage is a fact. Smile

There are many respected, award winning newspapers around the world (outside of the USA anyway) that use the "f" word. Not in every article, and only when it makes sense. For instance, if someone being interviewed uses the word it is not censored or starred out in the reporting. The main national newspaper here in Canada, The Globe and Mail, (which by the way is much more conservative than it is liberal) does this. That was the case of the Rolling Stone article, it only used the word when it was quoting what someone else and that person happened to use it.

Just saying.

That may be true, but I don't find it respectable journalism, good writers can weave their ways around these things if they choose to; just my opinion and just saying. Smile
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Glad to see you read the article and that you've revised your opinion about the RS being a tabloid.

As to the "f" word, I agree with Balducci. It's been used many times in such mainstream pieces of investigative reporting, such as "All the President's Men," etc. In a lengthy and serious piece such as the RS article, it would be silly, I think, to edit the words of people who were being quoted.

It's not like the author wrote something like, "Now here's a few things about that f'ing bomber in Boston."

:eek:
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-07-22 16:10, mastermindreader wrote:
Glad to see you read the article and that you've revised your opinion about the RS being a tabloid.

As to the "f" word, I agree with Balducci. It's been used many times in such mainstream pieces of investigative reporting, such as "All the President's Men," etc. In a lengthy and serious piece such as the RS article, it would be silly, I think, to edit the words of people who were being quoted.

It's not like the author wrote something like, "Now here's a few things about that f'ing bomber in Boston."

:eek:

Very well, I don't find the "f" word respectable in respectable journalism, but that's MY opinion. All the President's Men was a book and anything goes in a book. Print media is different than a book. Call me old fashioned with old fashioned values. No need to pursue it further.

But what about the author's slant that Jihar wasn't the horrific person he's accused of being and that he was swayed by his brother? I sense the author wanting us to go easy on Jihar despite his crime of terror against our country. As in "Poor Jihar," which was referenced or alluded to several times throughout the piece.

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

I don't see it as an effort to persuade people to "go easy" on Jihar, but rather as an in-depth discussion of HOW he came to be "a horrible monster."

It won't have any effect on his sentencing after he is convicted.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-07-22 19:26, mastermindreader wrote:
I don't see it as an effort to persuade people to "go easy" on Jihar, but rather as an in-depth discussion of HOW he came to be "a horrible monster."

Perhaps no effect of his sentence after conviction, but very possibly can sway some public opinion of him.

Just curious and I know I probably should have read the article but that is a different matter entirely. But does it mention the poor family of the 8 year old boy who was murdered? Or does it mention the 8 year old boy at all? It may well have mentioned them. However I am just curious in what light RS put on the little boy and his family being they put "poor" on the bomber.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Read the article, aces, THEN we can discuss it.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-07-22 19:41, mastermindreader wrote:
Read the article, aces, THEN we can discuss it.

So then you are not going to answer my questions? Hmmmm.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Hmmm. The topics you asked about have nothing to do with what this particular article is about. They've been addressed in innumerable articles in the mainstream media. The focus of this article is on WHY the bombing occurred.

Any great books you haven't read that you'd like to talk about? Perhaps you'd like to suggest what should and shouldn't be in them.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-07-22 19:26, mastermindreader wrote:

I guess we agree to disagree MMR because while you call it in-depth, I call it a long story wherein paragraph after paragraph seems to play upon poor Jihar's dysfunctional family. Call it what you will, but I call it slanted.

And I agree with you, the story won't have anything to do with the sentencing in my opinion either. But back to my orginal position on Rolling Stone, while I won't label it as a tabloid, I wouldn't call it an important publication. More like a People Magazine, in my opinion, which I also don't read except when in a doctor's office. Smile

mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

But, unlike People, the RS has actually won journalism awards for its insightful articles, including the Polk Award (2001), one of the most prestigious.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/22......358.html
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
That's fine, I'm not trying to say it's the best or the worst, awards come and go. You've made your point and I've made mine.

As the theorem goes, an infinite number of monkeys with an infinite number of typewriters will almost surely produce the works of Shakespeare, or something like that. Perhaps Rolling Stone hit their mark before infinity? Let it go Bob, I am. I procured the magazine, I read the piece and I gave you my opinion of it. I fulfilled my promise. Smile

mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Bob-

I know you don't agree with my assessment of the article, but at least you read it and have an informed opinion. I'm not trying to argue with you. I'm enjoying our discussion. I was just pointing out that RS has significantly greater journalistic credentials than People, whether you agree with their viewpoint or not.

Best-

Bob
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
And you've had the last word sir. I've enjoyed the discussion too. I'm just not a debater. And you should take some comfort that you convinced me to purchase my very first copy of the magazine, since anything I saw before was probably someone elses copy! Smile

mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Well at least you can catch up on what's happening on the music scene! Smile
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
I'm an oldies freak, anything beyond about 1980 or so, I don't have a clue. And I'm an old fart and I like it that way! Smile

acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-07-22 21:12, mastermindreader wrote:
But, unlike People, the RS has actually won journalism awards for its insightful articles, including the Polk Award (2001), one of the most prestigious.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/22......358.html

Yea and Obama won a Nobel Peace Prize. Smile So much for winning stuff on merit. Smile
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Bob,

I can tell by your evading my questions that nothing or very little was said about the 8 year old or his family, just the poor scumbag. Why am I not surprised? Only more reason for me not to buy that rag.

I hope you did not have a tear in your eye when you read about the abused Jihar and how he was turned into a Mr. Hyde. Spare me.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

So much for staying on topic.

But, that's right, you've never read the article. And since you've often stated that you don't look things up on the web to learn about them, you probably don't know what the Polk Award is or why it was given to The Rolling Stone.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I would hope that... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL