The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I would hope that... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-07-18 12:20, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-07-18 12:16, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-07-18 10:22, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Is the picture somehow false? Should they photoshop horns and fangs? It's really him.


Not really the point. They have a lot of pictures that are "really him," and obviously chose one that portrays him in a particular way.


That's exactly the point. The picture they chose goes with the teasers on the cover (and, presumably, the story they wish to tell). It's an authentic image. The fuss seems to be that he looks good and/or glamorous in the image, and some people just don't want that.


You are correct. Many Americans including me do not want someone who is a terrorist and hates America to be glamourized and I might add killed and 8 year old boy. Do you want to see a sweet picture look for the 8 year old boy. This guy is a scum bag and I truthfully wish he was put in prison in general population. We could save a lot of money if we did that. I for one am not interested in his story or why he did what he did. To be blunt, just waste him like he did to that little boy. He is crap and anyone who sympathizes with him is also crap. Not saying you do...just saying. Because you never said you sympathized with him.

Would you like to see a glamour photo of Adam Lanza? Turns your stomach huh?
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
acesover wrote:

Everyone has opinions. That is yours.


Thank you Captain Obvious! Smile
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2013-07-18 12:20, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
The fuss seems to be that he looks good and/or glamorous in the image, and some people just don't want that.


Correct, which is why the fact that it's "accurate" isn't the point. Nobody's suggesting that it's not accurate. If I ran a newspaper that only published pictures of Obama screaming or picking his nose, some people would object to the light in which I was portraying him. If in turn I responded that all of those pictures were "accurate" representations of him, I would be missing the point.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Aces, good looks and glamour are irrelevant to morality. Tsarnaev is going to trial on the basis of what is accused of DOING, not for how he looks.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Yes, Magnus. But impressionable wannabes might be inspired by how he looks.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-07-18 15:25, Woland wrote:
Yes, Magnus. But impressionable wannabes might be inspired by how he looks.


Yup! That is the point.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-07-18 15:21, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Aces, good looks and glamour are irrelevant to morality. Tsarnaev is going to trial on the basis of what is accused of DOING, not for how he looks.


I realize you say accused because he has not been convicted YET. However do you believe there may be a possibility that he is innocent of this act? If so is it because of his picture? Smile Or should I say how he looks?
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2775 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I agree, everyone has an opinion.

My is: The editor should see some tar and feathers.

Those who 'use' people like this shouldn't be supported.
It's clear they only have one agenda, to sell magazines.


Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
I'm not sure what the problem is. That picture has been on the cover of every newspaper in the country and exposed to 100's of million people via TV. So it can't be the image that is disturbing people because we have all seen that image and I don't remember anyone complaining about it earlier.

So it is not the picture.

It can't be because Rolling Stone did an article. Rolling Stone has been doing articles like this since the days of Hunter Thompson. And certainly there will be other books, magazines, movies, tv shows that will rehash the things he did ad nauseum. So, you can't be upset because they wrote a major article on it. And none of us have actually read the article to know what it says.

So it isn't the story.

Rolling Stones used a picture that we have all seen and have no problem with to promote a story which none of us have read but which is no different that a million other tabloids have shown.

So...what is it.

Is it that Rolling Stone is not allowed to write an article about this guy?
Is it that Rolling Stone is not allowed to let people know about the article?

Exactly, what is it that bugs you folks: the fact that the guy is good looking? I really think it is that. If this guy was old and fat and ugly looking, no one would have batted an eye, I'll bet.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-07-18 16:13, Slide wrote:
I'm not sure what the problem is. That picture has been on the cover of every newspaper in the country and exposed to 100's of million people via TV. So it can't be the image that is disturbing people because we have all seen that image and I don't remember anyone complaining about it earlier.

So it is not the picture.

It can't be because Rolling Stone did an article. Rolling Stone has been doing articles like this since the days of Hunter Thompson. And certainly there will be other books, magazines, movies, tv shows that will rehash the things he did ad nauseum. So, you can't be upset because they wrote a major article on it. And none of us have actually read the article to know what it says.

So it isn't the story.

Rolling Stones used a picture that we have all seen and have no problem with to promote a story which none of us have read but which is no different that a million other tabloids have shown.

So...what is it.

Is it that Rolling Stone is not allowed to write an article about this guy?
Is it that Rolling Stone is not allowed to let people know about the article?

Exactly, what is it that bugs you folks: the fact that the guy is good looking? I really think it is that. If this guy was old and fat and ugly looking, no one would have batted an eye, I'll bet.


The first line of your post says it all. You cannot see the forest because of the trees.

As I asked before. Would others be upset if it was Adam Lanza portrayed like this? Or God forbid, an innocent man such as George Zimmerman when he was thinner portrayed like this. I think we all know the answer to those questions.

As I said in the beginning you can't or don't want to see the forest because of the trees.

Lord knows we saw enough of Martin when he was 11 or 12 years old. You would swear that is what he looked like at the time of the incident.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2775 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
It's the fact that a picture speaks a thousand words.

And the fact that you have to 'buy' the magazine to read it.

Should the profits go to the victims?

When you tell people they need to read it, are you suggesting they 'buy' it?

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-07-18 12:00, acesover wrote:
Honestly folks. If it stirs this much controversy. Don't you think it was meant to rather than just report the news? Truthfully now what do you really believe?

I'm with you Aces.
I've never read Rolling Stone and I don't care to. I generally just don't trust any of the tabloids. It's all about sensationalism with those folks. That's my experience and that's my opinion.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"Should the profits go to the victims? "

Should the profits of CNN, the New York TImes, or any other publication go to the victims?

I don't get it: it is a magazine who wrote an article and put a photo on the cover like EVERY OTHER MAGAZINE IN THE WORLD.

When did we become such emotional cripples in this country.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
It seems that many people who have never read Rolling Stone have opinions about it. For one, it's not a tabloid and has won many journalism awards.

Like I've been saying all along, it's best to read something at least once before forming an opinion about it.

You don't have to buy it to read many of their articles. Simply go to their website.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
What forest are you talking about Aces. Tell me how this is different than every other magazine who ran the exact same picture. Should I show you the NY Post and the Daily News who used the exact same photo on the front pages of their newspaper?
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
The publishers of Rolling Stone had this sort of over the top reaction in mind when they selected this photo for their cover. I'm sure they are satisfied with this response. It is nothing more than a tempest in a tea pot.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Aces,

I hope you were equally outraged when Fox News ran the exact same picture: http://nation.foxnews.com/dzhokhar-tsarn......-account
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
I would hope you were equally outraged when the Daily News ran that photo: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national.......1321715

Or perhaps The Atlantic Wire: http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/......s/64400/

How about when Radar Online ran it: http://radaronline.com/category/tags/dzhokhar-tsarnaev/

Or how about this from Wired Magazine http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2013/04/cult-of-tsarnaev/

You folks have way too much time on your hands.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"I've never read Rolling Stone "

Bob, I have to assume you are about my age: I'm 59.

And you've never read Rolling Stone?

I find that a very odd thing.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Yes it does appear that Acesover is very politically correct over what he finds offensive.

I'm shocked at the obvious political bias
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I would hope that... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL