The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I would hope that... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-07-18 18:04, Slide wrote:
"Should the profits go to the victims? "

Should the profits of CNN, the New York TImes, or any other publication go to the victims?

I don't get it: it is a magazine who wrote an article and put a photo on the cover like EVERY OTHER MAGAZINE IN THE WORLD.

When did we become such emotional cripples in this country.

Like you said. You don't get it. You are correct. You don't get it.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-07-18 18:11, Slide wrote:
Aces,

I hope you were equally outraged when Fox News ran the exact same picture: http://nation.foxnews.com/dzhokhar-tsarn......-account
\\
Your kidding right? Did you see the enhancement in the photo on the Rolling Stone cover of the same photo? Do you even know what a publicity photo is? Please compare the two and then tell me they are the same and the Rolling Stone photo is not spruced up. If this scum bag was a rock star and they put the photo as you posted he would probably sue them. Please you can see the difference in the two photos and actually make my point for me. Thanks I guess.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-07-18 10:22, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Is the picture somehow false? Should they photoshop horns and fangs? It's really him.

Compare the original photo that slide posted and The Rolliong Stone photo. You decide if it was doctored or not..
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2775 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Where can I read That story without buying the magazine?

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-07-18 10:22, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Is the picture somehow false? Should they photoshop horns and fangs? It's really him.

Compare the original photo that slide posted and The Rolliong Stone photo. You decide if it was doctored or not..

Here is the real picture. http://nation.foxnews.com/dzhokhar-tsarn......-account
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2775 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
"Rolling Stone knew going in they would get kicked out by retailers," she said.
"What they get here is bigger than what they lose."

Rolling Stone, like most U.S. magazines, is subscription-driven.
According to ABC (Audit Bureau of Circulations), its newsstand sales are just 75,000
out of a total circulation of over 1.4 million last year.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/bomber-c......10671779

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Oh wait here is a better one.

http://photoblog.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/......der?lite

Maybe not as cute. But it also depicts the real him.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Maybe after the article is released tomorrow you could offer us your opinion on its content.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-07-18 22:23, mastermindreader wrote:
Maybe after the article is released tomorrow you could offer us your opinion on its content.

To me the picture said enough. It was worth a thousand words. Maybe the article will cast him in a bad light. However the picture did not, and there are a lot of gullible people out there. Because of my stubbornness I will not buy the issue nor read the article. I know kind of hard headed. Does that surprise you? I should think not after all this time.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:

I think it has already been available online for a day or two:

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news......20130717
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2013-07-18 19:30, TomBoleware wrote:

"Rolling Stone knew going in they would get kicked out by retailers," she said.
"What they get here is bigger than what they lose."

Rolling Stone, like most U.S. magazines, is subscription-driven.
According to ABC (Audit Bureau of Circulations), its newsstand sales are just 75,000
out of a total circulation of over 1.4 million last year.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/bomber-c......10671779

EXCERPT:

Husni also said there was a misconception that Rolling Stone is only about music and popular culture. "Rolling Stone is one of the few magazines still publishing in-depth and long-form investigative articles in the U.S.

"This is nothing new to Rolling Stone," he said of the magazine, which won a National Magazine Award for its 1970 prison interview with mass murderer Charles Manson, who was featured on the cover.

Two years ago, Rolling Stone's story on Gen. Stanley McChrystal, commander of U.S. forces in Afghanistan, included unflattering comments about Vice President Joe Biden and other White House House officials and led to McChrystal's resignation.

"Unfortunately, the public is emotionally driven and this mass hysteria is the biggest threat to journalism," said Husni. "This is not Kim Kardashian, this is a serious mag and journalists cannot be driven by public opinion. You can't allow the public to dictate what journalists do."

He said people were comparing the cover photo to Dylan or Morrison or Bono. "That's the problem. The glamorization of the photo shows that people did not read the article."
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-07-18 23:35, acesover wrote:
Because of my stubbornness I will not buy the issue nor read the article...

I'm sure that won't stop you from commenting on it. Smile
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-07-19 00:26, balducci wrote:
Quote:

I think it has already been available online for a day or two:

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news......20130717

I always pick it up on the day it hits the newsstand. Didn't realize it was online already.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
[quote]On 2013-07-18 18:05, mastermindreader wrote:
It seems that many people who have never read Rolling Stone have opinions about it. For one, it's not a tabloid and has won many journalism awards.

/quote]

MMR, please see my post on another thread about opinions. In my opinion, tabloids typically print pictoral, sensational front pages. Parse it how you will, I've stated my opinion. Smile
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

The Rolling Stone hasn't been published in tabloid format since the early 1970's. Since 1980 it has always been a magazine and, as such, has a cover, not a front page. That's a fact, not an opinion.

Here are the details:

Quote:
The printed format has gone through several changes. The first publications in 1967–72, were folded tabloid newspaper format, no staples with black ink text, and a single color highlight that changed each edition. From 1973 on, editions were done on a four-color press with a different newsprint paper size. In 1979, the bar code appeared. In 1980, it became a gloss paper large format 10 x 12 magazine. As of October 30, 2008 edition, Rolling Stone is a smaller, standard-format magazine size.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_stone
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16121 Posts

Profile of tommy
If Wiki says it then it must be a fact
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-07-19 01:38, tommy wrote:
If Wiki says it then it must be a fact

You can find the same history in USA Today as well as on the Rolling Stone site. But since I've been reading the magazine since 1970, I can personally confirm that those changes in format over the years are accurate.

BTW- you are aware that Wikipedia, as a whole, has actually been rated more accurate than the Encyclopedia Britannica. (And it's certainly far more accurate that some of the sources you've cited in support of your conspiracy theories.)
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-07-19 01:36, mastermindreader wrote:
The Rolling Stone hasn't been published in tabloid format since the early 1970's. Since 1980 it has always been a magazine and, as such, has a cover, not a front page. That's a fact, not an opinion.

Here are the details:

Quote:
The printed format has gone through several changes. The first publications in 1967–72, were folded tabloid newspaper format, no staples with black ink text, and a single color highlight that changed each edition. From 1973 on, editions were done on a four-color press with a different newsprint paper size. In 1979, the bar code appeared. In 1980, it became a gloss paper large format 10 x 12 magazine. As of October 30, 2008 edition, Rolling Stone is a smaller, standard-format magazine size.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_stone

You clearly missed my meaning in my tabloid statemnent. Define it as you will mechanically, as you cite in your Wikipedia reference.

It remains the same, regardless of print format, a tabloid. As other mechanically formatted magazines and newspapers retain their tabloid status. Smile And that's fact, not opinion.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20487 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I didn't read this whole thread much less the article but I have to say "who cares"?

It is a picture of the guy. I am going to place a bet on Rolling Stone not glamorizing this guy.

It never ceases to amaze me what outrages people. Rolling Stone has a certain slant to it so automatically condemn them. While this saves time and even money because you avoid having to purchase anything often a salient point or two is missed.

Oh well.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Bob1Dog-

You've acknowledged that you've never read the magazine. So your opinion is hardly well founded. (You know that old saying about not judging a book by its cover.)

Call it what you like. But perhaps you ought to read it first. Then, perhaps, your opinion might have some weight.

That said, the magazine is not a tabloid either in format or substance. Having been in the newspaper business I'm sure you know that it is NOT a tabloid in the literal sense. Having never read it, your conclusion that it engages in tabloid journalism can have no basis. It's just an unfounded opinion.

Why not read it first? (You are, after all, a reasonable person.) If, after you've done that, you come to the conclusion that it is tabloid journalism, then we'll have something worth discussing.

Good thoughts,

Bob
PS- Did you get raised to the third degree yet?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I would hope that... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL