The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I would hope that... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-07-19 02:57, mastermindreader wrote:
Bob1Dog-

That said, the magazine is not a tabloid either in format or substance. Having been in the newspaper business I'm sure you know that it is NOT a tabloid in the literal sense. .

Why not read it first? (You are, after all, a reasonable person.)

I will not read Rolling Stone. I simply don't care to. And the recent events merely reinforce my opinion, as a reasonable person.

Having been in the newspaper business , I KNOW that it is a tabloid. Parse it to your liking. Smile
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Having not read it you cannot know that. No? (Or should this be in the homophone/heterograph thread?)

But more important, why are we both up so late? I think it's because I'm getting old. Smile
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2761 Posts

Profile of lunatik
I think all mass murders and child molestor's should all get some professional Glamour Shots done so when they finally are caught, they can look like a rock or movie star. Get some photoshop done, makeup and lighting. Gotta look great ya know! Let it be a guy who storms the National Democratic Convention with an AK-47 and hand grenades, killing and maiming hundreds, then putting him on the front cover of a magazine looking like he's in a GQ photo-shoot and I can just hear them liberals whine and moan and boohoo about glamorizing this piece of crap. Of even better, let him set a couple of bombs off at a gay parade and start to primp him up for a magazine. More crocodile tears from the liberals I guarantee.
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

The photo you're talking about was one he took himself and is the same one that has been used by FOX news, CNN and every major network and newspaper.

In case you didn't notice, the controversy over the picture is NOT a liberal/conservative issue. Although most conservatives seem to be against it, liberals are completely split on the issue. But don't let facts interfere with your political rant.

I guess its a lot easier to stereotype and attack than to seriously consider an issue.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
The glamour shot is more evidence that Al Qaeda is alive, even though Detroit is bankrupt.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"
Like you said. You don't get it. You are correct. You don't get it."

You are quite correct that I don't get it. You get worked up over a photo on a magazine and yet the inability of our government to create reasonable gun control laws don't bother you at all. The fact that they didn't close the private gun show loop hole, doesn't bother you at all. The children massacred in Ct get no sympathy or action for their deaths and that doesn't bother you at all.

yeah, we have different priorities all right on what we "get" and "don't get."
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
I took it to be the 'before' picture of a kid, and the article is about his slide into radicalism....the cover is shocking only because he could have been YOUR good looking kid sliding into political insanity.

They should also have printed that capture shot as the 'after' pic. As they may well.

No controversy earned on this one, IMO. The article will probably be an in depth and fascinating study on what they claim it is; clearly described in the title of the piece.

There is the valid opinion he should be shunned, but that does not illuminate the situation. That article might.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-07-19 09:53, Slide wrote:
"
Like you said. You don't get it. You are correct. You don't get it."

You are quite correct that I don't get it. You get worked up over a photo on a magazine and yet the inability of our government to create reasonable gun control laws don't bother you at all. The fact that they didn't close the private gun show loop hole, doesn't bother you at all. The children massacred in Ct get no sympathy or action for their deaths and that doesn't bother you at all.

yeah, we have different priorities all right on what we "get" and "don't get."

No sympathy for the massacre CT. With that statement I will probably pay no attention to your posts. Thjat is probably the most stupid post ever made here...and to be that it has to come from the most stupid person here. Sorry we should not call anyone stupid but when you make a comment like that you are just stupid.

Also just what is the loophole about guns being sold at gun shows? If you are referring to transactions between two individuals in the parking lot how do you propose to enforce a law against that? Also would this law only pertain to purchases made at a gun show? It is one individual selling to another. Just because they happen to do it at a gun show you call it a loophole. Remember no FFL dealer can sell a gun at a gun show without proper paperwork. All you are doing is demonizing gun shows and the people who attend them. You don't like guns. I get that. But it is not about you it is about a persons rights to do with what they want with their legal property. What individuals do is what individuals do. The only thing you are doing is bringing the words Gun Show into the picture. If they did it during a gay parade or a pro abortion rally then you could call it the gay parade pro abortion rally loop hole.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2775 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
The content has nothing to do with the fact that the magazine used him (a killer) to get publicity and to make a profit.

I say shame on those who fall for and support such a marketing ploy.

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Maybe the consequence of covers of this sort will be to help people to be more skeptical of glamour. We can only hope.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6821 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I have nothing against Rolling Stone. Or any other magazine or media. I just don't want to see that idiot's FACE! I've seen enough of him. Everywhere. Great, write articles and study this as long as you like...I am just really tired of seeing this guy's FACE!

Krystal Campbell suffered unbelievable agony before she died. I've seen the pictures. You won't find THOSE in any Rolling Stone articles! Yeah. Freedom of the press...whatever. Really, it's me. I'm 57, have never read Rolling Stone. I don't care what they write.

I am just looking forward to the day when this guy's mug no longer appears...anywhere!

Doug
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"and to be that it has to come from the most stupid person here. "

Aces, clearly your lack of self control makes it impossible for you to post on any topic without personally insulting people.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Slide
So Acesover praises the lord insults you constantly, and you don't like it.

Welcome to the club. LOL

Acesover is a very impetuous, opinionated and intolerant young man.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2761 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Quote:
On 2013-07-19 05:45, mastermindreader wrote:
The photo you're talking about was one he took himself and is the same one that has been used by FOX news, CNN and every major network and newspaper.

In case you didn't notice, the controversy over the picture is NOT a liberal/conservative issue. Although most conservatives seem to be against it, liberals are completely split on the issue. But don't let facts interfere with your political rant.

I guess its a lot easier to stereotype and attack than to seriously consider an issue.

Exactly like I mentioned, go to Glamour Shots and make sure you're ready to be portrayed as sexy. Same pic being used by others, but just about EVERYONE can tell that the cover design was completely done differently to illicit a sexual response. This is why it's all over the news, most everyone can see it for what it is. And politicize it? Yes, it's pretty much a loose liberal move on their part, plain as day.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Did anyone complain about this cover? http://www.amazon.com/Esquire-Magazine-S......054FB8HA

Magazines have been using this type of cover since the beginning of magazines.

And lunatik, I'm sorry you felt sexually turned on by the Rolling Stone cover. I didn't. I guess sex is in the eye of the beholder. It reminds me of the Cherrios commercial. I kept hearing there was controversy over a Cherrios commercial and for the life of me I couldn't figure out what the problem was. Finally my daughter pointed out to me that the couple of bi-racial. I didn't even notice and I had seen the commercial a dozen times or more. You see what you want to see based on your own proclivities.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-07-19 03:42, mastermindreader wrote:
Having not read it you cannot know that. No? (Or should this be in the homophone/heterograph thread?)

But more important, why are we both up so late? I think it's because I'm getting old. Smile

Getting old here too. You'll note I finally went to bed after your last comment Smile and I'm just now getting back to you. I'll give your comments some thought and pick up the Rolling Stone today, Fair enough? Keep in mind Bob that I never read the sheet and when it came out decades ago it was a tabloid. Not having looked at it since then, except when seeing it on the newstands, with the big front page picture(s), the image always stuck.

I missed your question on the third degree last night......I get raised in the fall. Passed off my Fellow Craft in short order.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Hi Bob-

Fair enough!
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2761 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Quote:
On 2013-07-19 13:37, Slide wrote:
Did anyone complain about this cover? http://www.amazon.com/Esquire-Magazine-S......054FB8HA

Magazines have been using this type of cover since the beginning of magazines.

And lunatik, I'm sorry you felt sexually turned on by the Rolling Stone cover. I didn't. I guess sex is in the eye of the beholder. It reminds me of the Cherrios commercial. I kept hearing there was controversy over a Cherrios commercial and for the life of me I couldn't figure out what the problem was. Finally my daughter pointed out to me that the couple of bi-racial. I didn't even notice and I had seen the commercial a dozen times or more. You see what you want to see based on your own proclivities.

Poor argument. One doesn't have to feel "turned on" to know what it's portraying. Try again lol
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-07-19 12:01, Slide wrote:
"and to be that it has to come from the most stupid person here. "

Aces, clearly your lack of self control makes it impossible for you to post on any topic without personally insulting people.

Stop with the BS and answer the questions I asked you. Never insulted you just call it like I see it. You comments about the Ct. massacure were uncalled for and ignorant. Please explain the loophole you speak of.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-07-19 12:17, Al Angello wrote:
Slide
So Acesover praises the lord insults you constantly, and you don't like it.

Welcome to the club. LOL

Acesover is a very impetuous, opinionated and intolerant young man.

Probably right except the part of being a young man. Probably older than you. But of course you surmise again. What a surprise. Definitely intolerant of ignorance. Definitely have opinions. Who do you know who does not? I know what I believe in and don't have to ponder it and look things up before I respond...if that makes me impetuous than I am. As I said all correct but the young man part. Do the math. I can't be that young if I served my country in Nam.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I would hope that... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL