We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and Balls circa, 1963 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Still searching for the best voice for this thing.

http://youtu.be/wksAZSAccvQ
Bill Wilson
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
Super job as usual Kent.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5044 Posts

Profile of landmark
Oh man that's great. One minor suggestion from a theatrical standpoint you might want to consider--I think it's stronger if the final reveals are all done after "kissing your mother...still believe in magic, " rather than broken up cup by cup with script, since the reveals are basically the same and don't build. If one reveal were topping another somehow, then you'd want to break it up with a bit of script.

Watching that was so delightful.
Bill Wilson
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
What makes your routine so amazing Kent other then the use of tri-colored balls is it's show and deliberate pacing. No one could possibly say 'the hand is quicker then the eye'.
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
I believe.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5544 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Very nice.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1097 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
So *this* is what 1963 is like! I like the routine, Kent. Thanks for sharing!
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6996 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I think this is one of the BEST C & B's I have ever seen! One of the few that fools me, even though I know what's going on! Thank you Kent! You gotta a real FAN here! Smile

Doug
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Smile Smile Smile

Watching Kent Gunn perform is one of the most frustrating experiences for me. In my heart I KNOW what he's doing, but he fools me so badly, that he makes me realize I have no clue as to what he's doing.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6996 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Agreed. This is the level of mastery we should all strive for. I have watched Kent for years. My goal is to get my cups and balls work to that level. I don't want to do his routine, I just want my skill to be as proficient.

That is not a regular cups and balls routine, as you know. There are other...eh...elements involved. I will not reveal them here. I admire those thousand + dollar Sherwood Cups! The most beautiful I have ever seen. That isn't what makes it, though.

There is a beginning, a middle and an end. It flows seamlessly. His voice is clear, his speech impecible. Kent is the perfect performer to model yourself after. Again, NOT copy him, but let him inspire you. How can YOUR Cups & Balls be brought up to that level? What devices can you use to assist you? There are so many options.

There is only ONE Kent F. Gunn. And I thank God he has graced us here with is skills...

Doug
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Hi Mr. Gunn,

Every version of this routine that you have posted is excellent. They all seem to have merit, each in its own performance situation. I will second the wandboy's comment that doing this routine "as slowly as you can" (as Sr. Levand says) is very magical.
gary31525
View Profile
Regular user
Building a fence with
158 Posts

Profile of gary31525
Excellent routine Kent. Siskel and Ebert give four thumbs up!
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Great magic! My only comment is that I wish the patter had a better story. A conflict that is resolved. Seems like you are real close but we need a transformation of some sort in the character. For instance your Napier Lane card story works better. Just my 0.02
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Kent has progressed a bit in the ensuing half-century! Smile
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1869 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
The routine is a real fooler and is one of the few--very few--routines not based on the Vernon routine. I have to say, parts of it have me stumped.

The "1963" is just the patter line, correct? Or is that when the routine was developed? It can't be when the video was recorded as the Sherwood cups only came out about 10 years ago.
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Ray,

1963 is the year I got into magic. I don't believe The Fun Shop was in existence then. Marvin is quite real and ran the shop when I was going to high school, near Ogden.

The story is an amalgam of separate realities.

The video was recorded this week. The routine is mine and has been in continuous development since I bought those cups in 2005, or so.

Sorry for the deception . . .
cwcoe
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of cwcoe
I like this patter and presentation. It's a significant improvement over the old version. And of course it's excellent technically.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1869 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Kent,

No problem. More confusion than deception.
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
923 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
Kent,

The only problem I have with your cups and balls is that it can really only be performed by a master or master's apprentice. As usual, I love your work.

I have been off in coin land for a while and the progress is slow but progressing.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2663 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Every time I feel like I've perfected this routine, you upload a cleaner version and ruin my life all over again.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and Balls circa, 1963 (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL