The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Homographs and heteronyms (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
They're putting their things over there.

Is is all for naught when a knot is not a knot?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
For Pete's sake, I'll try the sake!
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2013-07-19 15:12, Michael Baker wrote:

Michael-

I see you're from the Mid-West.

That one doesn't work if you have a New Jersey/New York accent like me. For example, we don't pronounce "caught" the same as "cot" and "naught" is not a homonym for "not."

Have two friends here in Seattle- one is named Dawn and the other is Don. The way folks talk* here they pronounce them both exactly the same and I have no idea who they're talking about! Smile

* and "talk" isn't pronounced the same as "tock!" It's "Tawk" - gotta get the "w" in there.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
I'm having a birthday present shipped to a friend today: to wit, to Whit.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2013-07-19 15:57, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-07-19 15:12, Michael Baker wrote:

Michael-

I see you're from the Mid-West.

That one doesn't work if you have a New Jersey/New York accent like me. For example, we don't pronounce "caught" the same as "cot" and "naught" is not a homonym for "not."

Have two friends here in Seattle- one is named Dawn and the other is Don. The way folks talk* here they pronounce them both exactly the same and I have no idea who they're talking about! Smile

* and "talk" isn't pronounced the same as "tock!" It's "Tawk" - gotta get the "w" in there.

I have relatives and friends in New Yawk. I only know a few people in Joisey.

Regional accents do serve to confuse the issues.

Around my area, naught would be pronounced as the "ot" otter. But, I've been places where they'd say I otter speak better. Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-07-19 19:55, Michael Baker wrote:
[ have relatives and friends in New Yawk. I only know a few people in Joisey.

It's Noo Yawk and Noo Joisey
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Upon being shot at the dove dove into the thick woods.

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

There are local accents within New York/New Jersey as well. For example, in Jersey City or Brooklyn you might hear the pronunciation "Joisey" but you'll hear it pronounced "Jersey" in most other areas.

But no native there pronounces "lawn" as "lon." That would be like saying "Ah" and "Aw" the same way. No one would know if you were sympathizing or having a revelation.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
You're right, growing up in Queens, I never called Jersey Joisey. But I remember some of the other unusual words like url (as in earl) for oil, particularly when applied for oil to the car or lubrication. Cawn for corn, heah for hear, etc. New Yorkers, like many New Englanders have problems with the letter "r" in certain places of the word.

Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
When I worked oil, I did a bit of company training in the US. Took me quite a while to figure out why the Texans (or Oklahomans, maybe both)kept talking about turbans. Finally figured out that they were referring to turbines.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
The New Orleans accent and the Queens accent are very similar. Some folks say the Queens accent preserves the "original" New York accent, and that many of its features were adopted from the speech of cotton traders from the deep South.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
I've always thought that Louisiana's accent (N'awluns in particular) stemmed from the French Cajuns who migrated there from Nova Scotia and the surrounding areas. My knowledge of Queens is that it wasn't settled as a major population center until well after the American Revolution. Folks from Brooklyn migrated to Queens to move out to the "country" of Long Island. When my grandfather bought the house I was raised in, in 1924 in Queens Village, there were mass building projects of row houses and larger populations developed. Even as a child in the fifties I remember farmland beyond Queens in Nassau and Suffolk Counties and my parents getting fresh corn and other produce from farms as near as Elmont, the present location of Belmont Race Track.

Language is interesting and I'd have thought the Queens accent evolved from original NYC settlers and others perhaps even from New England, whose accents are similar to NY. But I suppose the evolution from southern cotton traders is entirely possible. Interesting.

mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

You've also got to consider that metro New York was a melting pot of many languages and dialects, mainly Irish, English, Yiddish, German, Dutch and Italian- mix 'em all together and you've got the New York accent.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2013-07-19 23:49, mastermindreader wrote:
You've also got to consider that metro New York was a melting pot of many languages and dialects, mainly Irish, English, Yiddish, German, Dutch and Italian- mix 'em all together and you've got the New York accent.

And some of the food ain't half bad, either! Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-07-19 23:52, Michael Baker wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-07-19 23:49, mastermindreader wrote:

And some of the food ain't half bad, either! Smile

I'd give what little hair I have left on my head for a good Jewish deli in my rural Delaware, serving up hot pastrami or corned beef, piled high on seeded rye. And home made knishes, matzo ball soup, and not to mention good Nova and salted belly lox. Bagels I can get, but pre packaged lox doesn't cut it.

Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
I didn't object to the object in question.

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5021 Posts

Profile of landmark
Sadly, one of the last Brooklyn delis, which was near my house, (hmm...which/that?) just closed. It was run for many years by a Christian Egyptian whose training was as an archaeologist. Came to NYC and there wasn't that much to dig up anymore. Great potato knishes.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5021 Posts

Profile of landmark
Not really the same, but I always liked Groucho's line in The Big Store to Margaret Dumont--"Marry me darling, and your concern will be my concern."
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Hi Bob,

With respect to the New York melting pot, it has always been that way. At the time of the British takeover from the Dutch, only 10% of New Yorkers were in fact Dutch. But they maintained their identity and culture for many years. Teddy Roosevelt's grandparents still spoke Dutch at home, 200 years after Nieuw Amsterdam became New York.
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
613 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
Did you read what I just read?
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Homographs and heteronyms (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL