The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » AGT mishap (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Sap4997
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Sap4997
I can't believe no one has posted on Arian Black's mishap while performing interlude
On Americas Got Talent!
allan31
View Profile
Regular user
everywhere
147 Posts

Profile of allan31
Hi !

The problem with the Interlude Trick seems to be that only magicians don't understand how it's done... So funny !
The success of this trick is a mystery for me beyond magicians because everybody in the audience knows the secret...

I remember when I first watch the Pendragon's presentation on TV, I was mystified but everybody around me found immediatly the secret...
sly2272
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of sly2272
Do you have a link.
MagicalMotivator
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of MagicalMotivator
Rick Rossini The Magical Motivator
www.rossinimagic.com
www.magicalmotivator.com
tophatevents
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of tophatevents
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3622 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Arian must cringe when she watches this. I saw someone drive a motorcycle through her once (same concept), but there was no cover or flash pots for diversion. You could see her move out of the way and then back into position. Also saw a closing bubble routine where the bubble machines all started before she got halfway through her "talk" - ruining the whole effect. Obviously not her fault, but come to your own conclusions.

Jim
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
This mishap HAS been the subject of much discussion (most of it NOT complimentary) over on SME.

The nationwide reveal was definitely not good. But, which of us hasn't boffed a trick in some way or another? I've had IT break in the middle of an effect. I went to perform the floating rose and just before entering the stage realized I forgot my flash paper...had to make do with tissue and no real rose appearing.

The difference is, we generally don't do it in front of millions.

I feel bad for her, as this COULD effect her future gigs if too many folks keep it alive.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
MagicalMotivator
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Mike,

Good points.

This was the first time I had seen this, so it was not my intention to rehash.

And your right, I have made a ton of mistakes over the years:) Some quite embarrassing. Just thankful it was not on national TV.

Kindest regards,

Rick
www.rossinimagic.com
www.magicalmotivator.com
DavidThomas
View Profile
Loyal user
231 Posts

Profile of DavidThomas
I give Arian many kudos for putting herself out there for millions. There was a time that I did not allow videoing of my show. Now it is would be impossible to stop as everyone has a camera and in the old days you could see a red light in the audience. In doing illusions, so many things can happen to mess up an effect. Human error, mechanical, ect. Sometimes it boils down to a piece of velcro. Everytime I see a camera, I hate to think of that being the time a mess up happens and then it is on you tube.

On the bright note, no one will remember this VERY MINOR issue and Arian will have the AGT performance credit. Making it through just one round makes her a "winner". Also I thought the staging was very good.
David Thomas
TheWorldofMagic.com
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
I cannot speak. Ouch.
john wills
View Profile
Special user
940 Posts

Profile of john wills
I close my mouth.
noble1
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of noble1
Yes that was not a great representation of the trick, no I don't think she'll be hurt by that performance.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
There have been plenty of comments on the mishap, so I'll comment on something else. If I were her, I would not have staged the illusion with a number of other female assistants. The nature of the illusion itself is a physical penetration of one person through another. It easily lends itself to a sensual performance. That being said, if I were a female illusionist, I would have had male assistants. This would have focused much more attention on the illusionist and it would a little more "visual meaning" to the penetration. Again, this is just my personal opinion.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Sap4997
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Sap4997
Kent,

I think you just hit the nail on the head. It would have made for a more intimate setting.
Was it me, or did the routine seem as if it was rushed?
MagicalMotivator
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

I believe that the time constraints for AGT are such that ALL performances have to be very quick. So routines may have to be shorten, sometimes drastically so.

Also because we did not see the full routine in the clip it might be that it is indeed more intimate in live, full performance. I can see where one could come from with the idea of using male assistants for a female magician, but the performance of all females with the female magician may indeed be even more sensual depending on how it is done.

Rick
www.rossinimagic.com
www.magicalmotivator.com
TaylorReed
View Profile
Special user
Branson, MO
744 Posts

Profile of TaylorReed
I perform the illusion twice a day..
And I think it is up to the performer who performs it and how well it is done..

It is one of the audience favorites in my show.. After the illusion I say any questions..

People shout out how did you do it?

I have two girls go thru back to back and then at the end my Interlude is cracked open on a track system..
Only one of it's kind.. IT tracks open to around 8 foot wide..

Also I do not use that gimmick.. It is much better without it if you can do it that way..

So I would disagree that people know how it works..

It is important to have a John Gaughan Prop though.

Otherwise it doesn't look very deceptive..

My take on the illusion.

Taylor
www.taylorreed.com
www.usedmagicillusions.com
taylor@taylorreed.com
(979)482-0714
See: The Magic and Comedy of Taylor Reed, Live in Branson, Mo
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Thanks for your input, Taylor!
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Well, I'm sorry, but she obviously shouldn't have been performing this on a elementary school stage let alone for a tv show because she obviously wasn't ready to perform it. It seems clear to me that it's not something that she has performed much before but my guess would be she did this to have something big enough for AGT. Not the place to be breaking in something new.
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Falconer
View Profile
Special user
PORTUGAL
576 Posts

Profile of Falconer
In my opinion, the Interlude discredit result of several factors:

The bad copies of the interlude as weel as the bad performances around the world has given to understand how the number is done.

The dissemination anti ethic and anti moral and against the law by all means revealing the secret of Interlude contributes (negatively) for their withdrawal.

Nowadays, people (even non Magicians) is much more interested and more informed in the study of Magic, the dissemination of knowledge is accessible to everyone for free purchase of books, CDs, DVDs, files, etc., in this context they are more intuitive to discover the secret of certain illusions such as Interlude.

The standards illusions often require adjustment to each specific body for not to leave any trail of suspicion.

In my opinion the versions of Interlude which are presented like Criss Angel and Yunk (Spanish magician ) are superior to the original method.

Anyway, I like the presentation the magic of the Arian Black.

Falconer
FALCONER
IMAGICIANS.DE facebook falcobook
cafeinst
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of cafeinst
The biggest mistake was going on TV. Magic is meant to be done live.

When I first watched in the late 1970's/early 1980's, David Copperfield on TV, I was not so impressed, even when he made the Statue of Liberty dissapear, and I didn't even know how it was done. Then my father took me to see him live in 1984. That was a great show!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » AGT mishap (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL