The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Doors on Ed Sullivan (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Ed's Producer told the band they had to remove the word " higher" in Light My Fire and sing "better" instead, because higher sounded like a drug reference;-) Morrison, the brilliant artist he was, didn't argue and sang the song as recorded, with "higher" in the lyrics.

The Ed Sullivan Show was a Sunday night "Family Show". On September 17, 1967, millions of young girls in the United States watched The Lizard King and were sent into puberty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvVCCMG-JoQ

You know that it would be untrue
You know that I would be a liar
If I was to say to you
Girl, we couldn't get much higher

Come on baby, light my fire
Come on baby, light my fire
Try to set the night on fire
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Reportedly, after the show, one of Sullivan's staff went into the band's dressing room and declared that they would never play the Ed Sullivan show again.

Morrison's alleged reply: "We already played the Ed Sullivan show."
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
http://archives.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/TV/......sidebar/

Doors keyboardist Ray Manzarek remembers exactly where he was when he got the word his band would be on "The Ed Sullivan Show." He was watching "The Ed Sullivan Show."

"We watched every week to see the rock 'n' roll band," Manzarek remembers. "So my wife and I are watching the show, and Ed says, 'Next week, Steve and Eydie, Topo Gigio, and a new rock group called the Doors. [The next day] we get a call from our manager telling us we're going to be on Sullivan. We said, 'We know.' "

There was a catch, though. The band was to perform its chart-topping hit, "Light My Fire," but Sullivan didn't want the word "higher" sung on the show. The demand was passed down through one of the show's producers, who met the group in the dressing room. Manzarek remembers the band publicly agreeing like choirboys.

" 'Yes, sir,' we told him," he recalls. "'Whatever you say, sir. We'll change.' [The producer] looked at Jim and said, 'You're the poet. Think of something else -- 'wire,' 'flyer.' "

Then the Doors went out and did the song exactly as they always did. Sullivan was so furious he didn't even shake their hands.

When the Doors got backstage, they learned they wouldn't be back -- ever. "The producer said, 'You promised,' and we said, 'We were so nervous, we're just boys, we've done it a thousand times, it just came out.' He looked at Morrison and said, 'Mr. Sullivan liked you boys. He wanted you on six more times. ... You'll never do the Sullivan show again.' "

To which Morrison retorted with glee, "We just did the Sullivan show."

The ban didn't hurt the Doors' career, of course. The group's albums continued to go Top 10 and they had another No. 1 single, "Hello I Love You," the next summer. But they never did appear on Sullivan again -- a distinction that has helped immortalize the Doors' appearance over that of the many acts who appeared on the show countless times.

Manzarek laughs. "We're still talking about it 35 years later," he says. "We're still doing Ed Sullivan."
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Reminds me of what happened years earlier when the Rolling Stones were on Sullivan to sing "Let's Spend the Night Together." Sullivan made them change it to "Let's Spend Some Time Together."

Given that every teenager in the country already knew the words to the song, it was really quite funny. And the way Jagger sang it left no doubt as to what the song meant.
But they obeyed Sullivan and went on to appear again many, many times. In fact, if Sullivan was still alive I'm sure the Stones would still be appearing on the show. They've outlasted virtually every band who ever appeared on the program.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Then there was Tiny Tim on Carson't Tonight Show. Smile
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2013-07-20 00:55, Bob1Dog wrote:
Then there was Tiny Tim on Carson't Tonight Show. Smile

Then there was the time Arnold Palmer won the U.S. Open in 1960.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
I really liked Topo Gigio.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Morrison's father, Rear Admiral George Stephen Morrison, said "I'm a very poor interpreter of his talent".

His Dad was baffled by his son's success.

The entire interview is interesting, but I cued it up at a later point;

http://youtu.be/Kz63-q8otYM?t=2m33s

Even though Jim Morrison is considered one of the greatest vocalists in rock music, his Dad just couldn't acknowledge it.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6011 Posts

Profile of motown
Heard about that quite some time ago.

I've been trying to get ahold of a dvd that features a live show they did at Cobo Hall in Detroit. I heard it was one of the best of the live shows released.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2013-07-21 00:22, motown wrote:
Heard about that quite some time ago.

I've been trying to get ahold of a dvd that features a live show they did at Cobo Hall in Detroit. I heard it was one of the best of the live shows released.

Their live set from the Detroit show has some surprises. Mystery Train, for instance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiVbifkYiKw

Track listings

Disc one
Tuning - 1:37
Roadhouse Vamp - 1:31
Hello to the Cities - 1:16
Dead Cats, Dead Rats - 1:54
Break on Through (To the Other Side) - 4:45
Alabama Song (Whisky Bar) (Weill, Brecht) - 1:55
Back Door Man (Dixon) - 2:24
Five to One - 6:44
Roadhouse Blues - 6:44
You Make Me Real - 2:57
Ship of Fools - 7:23
When the Music's Over - 17:40
People Get Ready (Mayfield) - 0:36
Mystery Train (Parker, Phillips) - 7:03
Away in India - 2:07
Crossroads (Johnson) - 4:01

Disc two
Tuning - 1:59
Carol (Berry) - 1:50
Light My Fire - 19:39
Been Down So Long - 9:07
Love Hides - 1:45
Mean Mustard Blues - 3:47
Carol (Reprise) (Berry) - 0:44
Close to You (Dixon)[3] - 1:38
I'm a King Bee (Moore) - 2:37
Rock Me Baby (Crudup) / Heartbreak Hotel (Axton, Durden, Presley) - 5:40
The End - 17:35

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Doors on Ed Sullivan (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL