The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Magic Castle! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2659 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Quote:
On 2013-07-22 01:41, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-07-22 01:14, Cliffg37 wrote:
I have performed there several times doing "overflow." that is smaller rooms to entertain the guests who did not get seats in the "offical" rooms.

I, too. Similarly for Lobo, Barry Fernelius, and Andrew Zuber, to name a few others here. There are doubtless more.

I performed in the Museum last night in fact! It's a fantastic place to work and your spectators are actually expecting to see magic, so they're in a great mindset for it.
As others have said, it's not about the money (which, admittedly, has increased numerous times over the past few years.) It's about saying you're working the Magic Castle.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Quote:
On 2013-07-22 15:41, Cliffg37 wrote:
I was not accepted as a paid performer. But, Jack Goldfinger who books the performers is a very nice man.

Jack is one of the very best people in magic, and I always wished I knew him better. One to emulate, both professionally and personally.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3508 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Jack was twice Stage Magician of the Year at the Magic Castle. He and Dove have one of the most fun acts to watch in all of magic.

He is a super-nice guy in a difficult job.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I'm always inspired by the incredible talent whenever I visit the Magic Castle. It's a privilege to be a member and I look forward to performing in the Parlor one day.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2013-07-22 17:40, Pop Haydn wrote:
Jack was twice Stage Magician of the Year at the Magic Castle. He and Dove have one of the most fun acts to watch in all of magic.

He is a super-nice guy in a difficult job.

I'll gladly second that! (He puts up with me, after all. Smile)
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3621 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
I have performed at the Magic Castle twice, but only in the bar- still a thrill!
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
I used to only stay at the Magic Hotel (or was it motel) when I traveled to LA because you could get into the Magic Castle if you were staying there.

My highlight: showing a non setup version of Out of this World to the guy playing the closeup room that he had never seen before.

And standing on the stairway with one of the board members who told me what an asshat (his opinion) Jamy Ian Swiss was.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
My best memories of the Castle are sitting (and drinking) with Vernon for hours back in the 80's and doing the same thing years later with Billy McComb. Nowadays, while I still love working in the showrooms, the best times are those spent with the many friends I've made there over the years. Every time I go back, it's like returning to my true home. (And I can assure you that Pop Haydn is a great guy to talk to.)

(Then there's the time that Gary Busey sang Buddy Holly songs to me at the Palace Bar and told me how to filter kerosene into what he considered to be a perfectly drinkable cocktail. We were both pretty wasted at the time. But that's another story...)
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
726 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
Quote:
On 2013-07-22 10:32, Payne wrote:
I've done a couple of the weekend Brunch Performances. But I, as of yet, have not had the privilage of gracing the stage there for a week of evening shows. I've sent in applications and demo DVDs. But it seems I'm not the type of act they are currently looking for.

Apparently they aren't looking for quality of talent then. Smile
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3508 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
LoL. I remember watching John Calvert and David Carradine Indian wrestling in the Dining room/Palace passageway. Calvert threw David on his butt.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello:

I performed there in the Palace of Mystery back in the 80's. I remember Peter Pit was booking the acts and an extremely nice guy named Brian was stage manager - I can't remember his last name, but he was the best!

At the time, the rate was $500.00 for the week and an extra $50.00 if you performed at the Sunday Brunch. I also remember one night there was quite a buzz because Jaclyn Smith and Rue Mcclanahan were in the audience.

I had the best memories there and got my 5 minutes of fame, but never made any money!

Ron
foreva.infiniti
View Profile
Regular user
6 Posts a + a 6 Posts =
116 Posts

Profile of foreva.infiniti
Quote:
On 2013-07-22 13:45, Al Angello wrote:
Now that we have established that it does not pay well, and you plan to be there for an extended stay. What makes you thing that they will want you? Master Payne has a world wide reputation, and can't seem to get himself booked for a whole week. I have a friend of mine who performed there just recently and it was literally his vacation.

A year and a week from now everybody will want to book Foreva Infiniti based off my tv show alone
Colors are Foreva. Numbers are Infinite. 4 every number there's a color. HEY! Eternity! Lets smoke a beer and drink some loud. But wait! I heard you was a six a plus a 6 ahhhh.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
There's a TV show?? When, Where? Fill us in. (Unless it's in-prep and secret)
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
foreva.infiniti
View Profile
Regular user
6 Posts a + a 6 Posts =
116 Posts

Profile of foreva.infiniti
Its no secret I will be doing a street magic show for public TV after I perfom at next year's world art fair here in Ann Arbor. Hopefully it will be before a year and a week from now but that right there is the latest date for the premiere. Im still filming now. I just gotta wait in line....
Colors are Foreva. Numbers are Infinite. 4 every number there's a color. HEY! Eternity! Lets smoke a beer and drink some loud. But wait! I heard you was a six a plus a 6 ahhhh.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I do a little busking from time to time. Give us a heads up so I can be your oldest fans.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2013-07-22 00:15, foreva.infiniti wrote:
Have any of you performed there? Just wondering. Anyone besides Pop Haydin because I know 4 a fact he performed at the castle because I was there!

Yes. I did a week there in the close up gallery and also lectured.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
J.CADEAC
View Profile
New user
Paris, France
67 Posts

Profile of J.CADEAC
+1

I spent a wonderful week performing in the close-up gallery, end of July, during a kind of "French week", with Francis Tabary and Valérie who performed in the Palace of Mystery.

And I confirm all that Mr. Haydn wrote in his first post, particularly the 4th and 5th lines.
"You must either modify your dreams or magnify your skills".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Magic Castle! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL